Sign in to follow this  
Guest angels355

I'm Back from the nightmare

Guest jboweruk

The PC from below. What a nightmare. I'm back now though, business as usual. lOL

John was ready to ditch FS all together and take a good, long break. Looks like he worked things out!Hope this helps,Jimhttp://www.hifisim.com/Active Sky V6 Development Team Active Sky V6 Proud SupporterHiFi Beta TeamRadar Contact Supporter: http://www.jdtllc.com/AirSource Member: http://www.air-source.us/FSEconomy Member:http://www.fseconomy.com/

Guest jaapverduijn

Good on ya, mate!Jaap Verduijn.

The best thing about banging your head on the wall all day is...............It feels so bloody marvellous when you stop.

Dave Taylor gb.png

Guest jboweruk

No I was out of commish all over the weekend pretty much. Computer wouldn't go into Windows at all, so had to re-install. That was the beginning of a 2 day nightmare, which itself was the culmination of 2 weeks of misery.I still don't have FS9 back on yet, don't know if I will bother with FSX just round the corner. FSX Demo is on though, as is BF2 which is what I'm playing right now.Will play FS again, might re-install this coming w/end, but see how I go.Thanks to everyone on here and all the forums for the kind words and support you all showed me while I went through it.

Guest angels355

John, Sorry to hear the bad news. I once had a similar problem w/ a 98SE HD. One of my DOS guru friends helped me out, took the start up disk you can create off of the add/remove programs window, he transferred the sys from the disk to the HD, somehow it worked and Windows was back up again. I have no idea if you can do that w/ an XP start up disk.It's too bad you didn't have the Windows section partitioned so you wouldn't lose FS9. My FS9 is about 18 or so gb's maybe a little more, and my other flight sims are similarly complex, I'd be a little upset if I lost them. Another thing you can do is create a back up of FS9 like on a spare HD or external HD, Kimber did that, and with that it's an easy rescue, FS9 rebuilds itself.I'm hoping I'm on the verge of having a second 'puter w/ FS9, I need a new big slave HD, and need to buy another processor. I have another board which can go to 2 or 2.2 ghz, maybe I'll make that another FS9 'puter. It sounds like FSX is going to be really heavy on the graphics, but I think it's going to also be more advanced software that'll take advantage of 64 bit, and multicore processing, I hope which I hope will solve a lot of problems in processing all that graphics.I hope it won't be too hard getting one of the FS's going again. Good luck to you.

Guest jboweruk

only 18 Gb? Mines over 80 :(Never mind, if there were no troubles the good times wouldn't be so good I guess.

Guest angels355

John,I'm sure sorry. Yes only 18 gb's on a 25 gb hd, I have to get another BIG slave HD, only have about 400 mb's of free space right now. It is sure a shame that your windows couldn't be rescued. If you had had a second HD, you could have made your kaboshed windows HD that had FS9 on it a slave drive and rescued your FS9, onto another HD. Or, I don't know if this could be done simply but insert a partition; I think that takes special software to do I'm not sure. But the simplest plan would be to just copy FS9 onto a second HD while the FS9 HD is a slave drive.Is your main HD that crashed healthy? I once bought a couple of used HD's that were dead as doorknobs. Did your HD itself fail? I did have good luck though, paid $6 for another HD that spins like a top and has FS2000 on it.By the way, if I recall you're over in the UK, I was looking on ebay for FS2000 Pro, and one seller who was in the UK was selling one, but there was a note at the top that said the "format" was "PAL standard UK format". Is there a separate cd-rom format in the UK? Or am I reading that completely wrong? Nonsense right?Actually now that I think about it I lost a whole HD filled with games because Win 98 crashed completely soon after getting that 'puter, had no option but to format the whole HD and reinstall Win 98. But I didn't miss any of those games, there wasn't anything I was interested in. That was back when I had very little hardware, and also much less skill. Luckily it wasn't catastrophic, and actually beneficial in that case.It could be much worse! Just this second on Fox News I saw a photo where Dell laptop computers are bursting into flames! Really!I hope things go better.

Around the corner .... likely mid Nov2006 .... 3 months :-)Regards,Vern

Just to put things into perspective - 6 out of 4.1 million have flamed on. Somewhere on the web there is an interesting article about the high powered LiH batteries that are used in RC aircraft and their nasty tendency to flame if messed with.DJ

Guest angels355

Vern,Nice hardware! I've become a fan of Asus also, probably use it for one of my future computers. I've got an older Gigabyte mobo that's a K7 Socket A I think, can go up to about 2.1 or 2.2 ghz I think, and 3 gb's of ram. The price was right, $4 for chip and board; I might try to get a faster chip though, mine is only 1.4/1.7 ghz.