Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

Nvidia Driver Provides 50% Boost To AMD Ryzen Gaming

Hmmmmmmm........ I'm just gonna post the article as-is on this one and let people come to their own theories, and conclusions.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/antonyleather/2018/09/27/nvidia-geforce-driver-provides-shock-50-boost-to-amd-ryzen-threadripper-gaming-performance/#59a4e022201e

EXCERPT:

The performance of AMD's 32-core Threadripper 2990WX in games was lackluster when I reviewed it a couple of months ago and there didn't seem to be much of a reason other than two of its dies can't access the rest of the system directly or maybe a scaling issue. Even this, though, didn't add up as games don't need that many cores, but keen-eyed enthusiasts spotted a huge revelation in a recent Nvidia driver's release notes that looks set to offer an enormous boost to Threadripper performance in games:

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2F

Nvidia's drivers from 399.24 onward include a fix for a bug that could cut performance in half for AMD's Threadripper 2990WX CPUANTONY LEATHER

According to the release note, which incidentally was posted right at the bottom of the bug fixes and performance boosts, Nvidia claims to have fixed a bug that could see 50% wiped off the Threadripper 2990WX's performance in games. It was certainly a big issue with journalists at the time as it meant the CPU was limited to a niche set of tasks, with it performing worse than cheaper CPUs with fewer cores in games and some other applications.

The latest drivers - in fact, everything from ForceWare 399.24 onwards, includes the fix and the performance boosts are, quick frankly, shockingly huge. PC Perspective has already carried out its own tests, which back up the claims and, fascinated to see the results myself, I've re-run a handful of my own tests too which you can see below

fallout.jpg

• Like 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

8 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

Hmmmmmmm........ I'm just gonna post the article as-is on this one and let people come to their own theories, and conclusions.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/antonyleather/2018/09/27/nvidia-geforce-driver-provides-shock-50-boost-to-amd-ryzen-threadripper-gaming-performance/#59a4e022201e

EXCERPT:

50% of What ???? Of the best AMD CPU, of the slowest AMD CPU, or of any AMD CPU?  I always like to ask of what.... Cause you go to a car dealership and they advertise we are giving $8,000 cash back or a store will say today we are giving 50% off... but of WHAT?  (They raise the price very high , then give the "discount" then tell you you got a good deal... but actually you end-up paying the same amount they intended to sell the item for.) 

4 minutes ago, joemiller said:

50% of What ???? Of the best AMD CPU, of the slowest AMD CPU, or of any AMD CPU?  I always like to ask of what.... Cause you go to a car dealership and they advertise we are giving $8,000 cash back or a store will say today we are giving 50% off... but of WHAT?  (They raise the price very high , then give the "discount" then tell you you got a good deal... but actually you end-up paying the same amount they intended to sell the item for.) 

So did you fully read the article and also follow the links to more detailed information?

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

2 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

So did you fully read the article and also follow the links to more detailed information?

On  Threadripper 2990WX's ?

1 hour ago, joemiller said:

On  Threadripper 2990WX's ?

PC Perspective has already carried out its own tests, which back up the claims and, fascinated to see the results myself, I've re-run a handful of my own tests too which you can see below

https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/New-GeForce-Driver-Fixes-Performance-Issue-Threadripper-2990WX-Tested

Devons rig

That's just lousy, Nvidia!!  When are you guys gonna include a fix so our Intel CPU's perform better???  Oh wait... Intel needs to fix its bugs first, eh? 😁

Greg

Nothing to see here.

Game performance on Threadripper (2990WX in particular) is HORRIBLE.  This updated driver only boosted performance up to "acceptable" levels.  8700k still blows it away.

Threadripper is not a good gaming CPU.  If you buy this CPU to run flight sim you are throwing your money away.  

17 hours ago, TechguyMaxC said:

Nothing to see here.

Game performance on Threadripper (2990WX in particular) is HORRIBLE.  This updated driver only boosted performance up to "acceptable" levels.  8700k still blows it away.

Threadripper is not a good gaming CPU.  If you buy this CPU to run flight sim you are throwing your money away.  

I'm waiting on the 9900Ks and see if that will benefit us.. Then I here AMD is working on their Zen 2.    So, we'll see what the future brings.  We just need a good affordable processors for our sim... don't care if it comes from Intel or AMD. They need to stop playing games (the irony huh) and provide the customers with a strong- and affordable-  gaming  processor. 

7 hours ago, joemiller said:

I'm waiting on the 9900Ks and see if that will benefit us.. Then I here AMD is working on their Zen 2.    So, we'll see what the future brings.  We just need a good affordable processors for our sim... don't care if it comes from Intel or AMD. They need to stop playing games (the irony huh) and provide the customers with a strong- and affordable-  gaming  processor. 

9900K should see some nice clocks and as we know, clock speed is king for P3D.  I'm planning on upgrading from a 7700k @ 5.2GHz.  

Yeah ....I'll be following the 9900k - 9700K p3d 4.3 performance threads closely. 

I've been casually following threads on the the new coffee refresh and the mobos on which they will be dropped in. 

One of my interests is the power draw of the new cpu, especially at 5.4 plus. I've seen some writings that the new z390 ROG Maximus mobos are sporting an additional 4 pin cpu power header  (Maximus z370's have only the one 8 pin -less the Apex, which has 2x 8pin connectors) and that the new lower end Asus boards are sill showing just the one 8 pin connector -buyers with overclock on their mind, beware?

Now I was pumping 140 watts into my 6 core coffee (yeah, I was force feeding it) just running simple benchmarks at 5.4 Ghz. So, I'm thinking that overclocking the 9900k and 9700k is not going to be all peaches and cream ....and may be impossible on most z370's and the lesser z390 boards. Furthermore,  even if one has the vrm to run 5.5Ghz it may require more than just the standard over the counter cooling solution.

10 hours ago, TechguyMaxC said:

9900K should see some nice clocks and as we know, clock speed is king for P3D.  I'm planning on upgrading from a 7700k @ 5.2GHz.  

You have your 7700k @ 5.2... Dame that's nice. I was only able to have it  stable at 4.90.   At 5.Ghz it would BSOD constantly. 

9 hours ago, FunknNasty said:

Yeah ....I'll be following the 9900k - 9700K p3d 4.3 performance threads closely. 

I've been casually following threads on the the new coffee refresh and the mobos on which they will be dropped in. 

One of my interests is the power draw of the new cpu, especially at 5.4 plus. I've seen some writings that the new z390 ROG Maximus mobos are sporting an additional 4 pin cpu power header  (Maximus z370's have only the one 8 pin -less the Apex, which has 2x 8pin connectors) and that the new lower end Asus boards are sill showing just the one 8 pin connector -buyers with overclock on their mind, beware?

Now I was pumping 140 watts into my 6 core coffee (yeah, I was force feeding it) just running simple benchmarks at 5.4 Ghz. So, I'm thinking that overclocking the 9900k and 9700k is not going to be all peaches and cream ....and may be impossible on most z370's and the lesser z390 boards. Furthermore,  even if one has the vrm to run 5.5Ghz it may require more than just the standard over the counter cooling solution.

Yeah, let's hope te  99000/ 9700K it benefits us.