Sign in to follow this  
vc10man

GSX Message "You need to stop the engines to request"

Has anyone else seen a silly message from GSXv1 but latest where when pressing the usual K/b keys, a message in red flags up 'You need to stop the engines to request ground services', when in fact the engines are already stopped? Eh?

And that was after an Update was available flashed up on the P3Dv4.3 screen. Grrr!

Edited by Poppet
edited topic title to reflect question

Did that first as soon as I got the Update message. No joy, even trying a different airport with the CS 737-200ADV.

I've seen that before when the engines were winding down but not fully stopped.

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

4 minutes ago, w6kd said:

I've seen that before when the engines were winding down but not fully stopped.

Engines were completely wound down. Dead in fact.

And now, in a sly sleight of hand, all of a sudden GSX has disappeared but the Addon Manager is still in the drop-down P3D v4 Add-ons. Tried to Register the Serial No, which has worked perfectly for years before GSXv2, and guess what? It does not Register. Subtle ploy to force GSXv1 to V2? I leave it open to conjecture.

Probably best to ask Umberto on the fsdreamteam forums.

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

You have probably ran the Live Update while the sim was running.

It's best if you quit the sim and do it from the Desktop, because this update requires several things that cannot be updated while the sim is running (sceneries, textures, etc.).

GSX disappeared because the updated cleaned up the airport cache while it the sim was still running. It would have been recreated at the next sim start.

In fact, we already "updated the update", to simply prevent from running it from within the simulator.

The ability to do a "live" Live Update was a leftover of the old version, where we either updated "just" the GSX code (can be done "live), or we updated the executables too, which cannot be done with the simulator running.

Now that we can update *everything* (sceneries, textures, objects, etc) the chance of being able to run the updater with the sim running is almost none, so you must assume it cannot done with the sim running. And yes, it has been already updated, to always tell you to quit the sim.

3 minutes ago, virtuali said:

And the message in brackets stated that there was no need to close the sim as the Update flagged up ONLY when the sim was just switched on, so I did as it flagged across the sim screen..

Now I am deleting/uninstalling everything from AppData, Program Data, x86 Files, etc, etc

6 minutes ago, virtuali said:

GSX disappeared because the updated cleaned up the airport cache

And it again flagged up it was updating the airport cache when I opted for Restart Couatl

Okay, all sorted after a fresh uninstall/reinstall. GSX v1 menu back from the Ctrl+Shift+F12.

Thanks to all.

1 hour ago, vc10man said:

And the message in brackets stated that there was no need to close the sim as the Update flagged up ONLY when the sim was just switched on, so I did as it flagged across the sim screen..

I never said you did anything wrong.

I know the updater said you could do it without exiting the simulator, and I said this cannot be done anymore but, the issue is, we JUST changed this in the current update (the one you performed right now), but first you had to get it.

The version you had, still assumed some updates (those that didn't require new executables) could be made without a restart, that's why it prompted it that way. 

The current version of the update message, from now on, will always ask to exit the sim.

Now I am deleting/uninstalling everything from AppData, Program Data, x86 Files, etc, etc

Not required. It was enough to just restart the sim.

And it again flagged up it was updating the airport cache when I opted for Restart Couatl

This is of course normal, which is exactly what is supposed to happen when you restart after the airport cache is rebuilt. The issue, is, Restarting Couatl is not enough to recreate the cache after removing those folders: you *must* to restart the sim.

So, you probably assumed you had to reinstall GSX, but this wasn't required at all, it would have worked on the next restart.

I get that about every 25 flights or so in the Q400. Been happening for over a year. I just use the aircraft pushback when it happens. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

5 hours ago, virtuali said:

I was going to suggest that also, external updating has worked very well for me ... no issues.

On a side note, and I may simply have missed this in the documentation, but is it possible to override the pushback requirement for engines stopped?  I know you have the option to allow Engine start "during" pushback, but I'd love a option that would still allow me to do a pushback with the engines already running ... I know it's not "real world procedures" but an option to ignore real world would be great ... many times I want to use GSX pushback but due to time limitations (don't have the time to do C&D) I already have engines running.  Even an "unadvertised" .INI setting would be great 🙂

Cheers, Rob.

On 9/27/2018 at 2:10 PM, virtuali said:

to always tell you to quit the sim.

Haven't seen this yet, after two live updates since Thursday. Did I miss something?.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

20 hours ago, edpatino said:

Haven't seen this yet, after two live updates since Thursday. Did I miss something?.

Cheers, Ed

I'm not sure what updates you were on when you saw this but, it should always tell you to quit the sim from now on.

1 hour ago, virtuali said:

I'm not sure what updates you were on when you saw this but, it should always tell you to quit the sim from now on.

Ok, understood. Thanks.

May I suggest something like the updater (I mean the FSDT Live Update run from outside the sim) at each run tells you (a) which is the most current version of the software and (b) which is your current installed version on your machine?. This way it could be easily identified the need to do the update, otherwise it could bring some unnecessary confusion.

And also, if possible, a short message like "your software was succesfully updated to the latest version" after the FSDT Live Updater has finished his task, would be very informative.

Thanks in advance for considering.

Cheers, Ed

Edited by edpatino

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers