Hi Guys

Now the kids have grown up and I got time again, I'm building my flight sim back up slowly. 

Any advice on the PC please

I'm building - 

Overclocked i7 8700K Six Core :4.8ghz
Z370 Motherboard
16gb 2400Mhz ram
2x 8gb Radeon RX580 (To run 8 monitors)
1tb HDD
650w PSU
Frostflow Liquid Cooler

I run FSX sp2 with PMDG 737 NGX

What is overkill on this, to lower the price of £1600.00 or should I just stick with it

I want to have 2x 27" (Front View) monitors
2x 22" monitors (Left & Right window)
3x 19" for the cockpit displays
and 1 touch screen to run the FMC

Advice / Ideas?

Cheers Spokes, 

I'll make that change before I purchase everything.. Apart from that, Do I need to upgrade anything or downgrade anything. I'm thinking I could save some ££ on memory.. FSX and PMDG surely wouldn't need 32gb? I should be able to run perfectly on 16gb?

Your FsX won't use more than 4Gb so you could be good only with 8gb of RAM.

The PC looks great, what I'd upgrade though would be the sim itself : do yourself a favor and try P3Dv4, trust me you will never come back 🙂

Guillaume

YouTube Channel : The Flying Frog (P3D flying)

My Flickr Gallery : clicky clicky

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D at 4.5 Ghz Motherboard: Gigabyte AORUS X470 Ultra Gaming RAM: 48 Gb GPU: 1x RTX 4090 OS : Win 11 Display : Philips BD4350UC (4K 43" display) + 1 AOC 21" FHD side display
Hardware: Virpil WarBRD Base with WarBRD Grip OR Warthog Grip, VPC ACE Collection Rudder Pedals, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle, Goflight MCP Pro, Custom homecockpit.

Perfect thanks, I'll downgrade to 16gb and drop the price a little. 

I have looked into P3D but haven't taken the plunge as yet, think I'm best sticking with the FSX side of things first to build up the cockpit etc then think about changing it. Thanks for your inputs tho guys

Oh gosh.  Don't go FSX now....  

Go straight to P3D v4 (or XP11 hehe).  v4 is 64bit you've got no more OOM's, and many many more lovely features (plus some upcoming like PBR).

I'd swap out that AMD for the latest nvidia rtx 2080 ti especially with all those screens.  Also I'd get faster ram.  2400 mhz is so 2015 lol.  34/36/3800 mhz is what you want... gskill etc.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

2 hours ago, ryanbatcund said:

I'd swap out that AMD for the latest nvidia rtx 2080 ti especially with all those screens.

Two 2080 ti cards, eight monitors remember, cost £2200 in the UK, not much sense in the suggestion when the question is how or if the budget of £1600 can be lowered.

Edited by nolonger

5 hours ago, nolonger said:

Two 2080 ti cards, eight monitors remember, cost £2200 in the UK, not much sense in the suggestion when the question is how or if the budget of £1600 can be lowered.

Swap them out for GTX 1060/1070/1080 whatever then.  AMD hardware is lackluster for flight sim.  Has been for a long, long time.  Their CPUs are better nowadays, but Intel is still best for flight sim.  

Frostflow Liquid Cooler

Who makes that guy? I suspect there are better AIO's you could opt for.

EVGA are my current favourite PSU's. You didn't mention make, so make sure it's a top brand. 

Edited by martin-w

In my experience, when it comes to computer hardware, overkill today will be a mid-range system next year and obsolete in three years.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

The Z390 motherboards will be launching next month. 

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg