Sign in to follow this  
Penzoil3

Bull, I cry FOUL !

Until we get a clear mandate on this, I'll be sticking exactly to the guidleines and only chatting about hangars, which will I'm sure be riveting...

So: Bessonneau or H.A.S. Which is best? 😉

Edited by Chock

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I have always preferred a simple "T" hanger...yes, I misspelled it on purpose...I'm a rebel. 😄

Randy

My take on all this is that I've been here long enough to remember a different Avsim. I remember when chat was exactly for that: Chat.

It was informal, and people posted the sort of things that a tight-knit community of people who had been through a bit and been around a while would post to each other, jokes included. It was idle talk around the water cooler: informal, and yes generally aviation related but certainly not always. It was like a hangout for people to let their hair down and just talk and be friendly.

I'm aware that this isn't really the case anymore and I miss it, even as I kind of understand the underlying point of the more rigid structure. Still to me, something, a certain sense of Avsim as an open, fun place to be, has diminished.

For newer people that might not seem an issue but I at the very least fondly remember the post above (and so many others from so many people) even as know I could never create a thread like this nowadays.

Perhaps that's a good thing, I don't know. But I swear I do miss that version of Avsim. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

8 hours ago, 188AHC said:

JR Barrett   your opinion appears to have been well thought out and very well stated.  I would think that responses such as yours will be discussed at the board meeting. 

For most of us who can remember the Avsim from many years ago, the fact that this topic would even be discussed at a board meeting is perplexing.  Seems perhaps the board could be looking for solutions to problems that don't exist...

Greg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 4

W2DR 

I can handle it.Many years ago, I was the only female line mechanic at a VW dealership. (1976)

The guys all put pin up pictures on their roll-a-rounds. So I put up the Jim Palmer Playgirl centerfold. The next day, word came from management - all pin ups had to go. That was fair...

BTW when gals get together, we talk about men, of course.

Sue

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Penzoil3 said:

W2DR 

I can handle it.Many years ago, I was the only female line mechanic at a VW dealership. (1976)

Sue

VW mechanic! 

Vunderbarr!

So Sue,

In 1975 we owned a red VW Beetle. So, why did the cable repeatedly break from the gas pedal to the carburetor on the engine of my 68 bug? Had the cable changed twice and as far as we could tell there was no crimp anywhere and both ends seems to still be connected, but the cable would snap in the middle somewhere under the back seat.  Never did reconcile such a thing and you are the very first VW mechanic I have ever run across!

Of course, the dealership might have been taking advantage of us since we were so young and they could see us coming for a long time as the engine would idle in 2nd gear at about 8-10 mpg (Get out and push in neutral as fast as you can, jump in and put into 2nd gear, 1st gear going up hills -5 mpg tops, and neutral going down). One day it took about 8 hours to go from Brooks Alberta to Medicine Hat (where the closest dealer was) on the Trans Canada highway!

Now I realize this has very little to (obviously) do with airplanes, but please bear in mind a couple of things:

1. The VW Beetle engine is air cooled, and could be assembled on the back of a lightweight aircraft (maybe). If so, the throttle cable would have to be more reliable since it is harder to fly in idle than our truly wonderful red bug was.

2. I love airplanes, old stories, new friends and all things aviation. You are/were a VW mechanic so if I ever acquire a VW beetle engine equipped light weight airplane, I am going to invite you to be my co-pilot. That makes this post aviation related (I hope).

Kind regards,

Spirit Flyer Stephen

Sue  is not only a VW mechanic but a master flightsim mechanic as well.  I can't count the times she has helped me out with problems.  She's a treasure, a loyal friend, and can be quite feisty too.

I hope the word 'flighsim' makes this post acceptable.

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

OH, great!  Now we are becoming the AVSIM VW Repair Shop.  Both Sue and Pam (Warchild) on the SOH site, are both excellent Fightsim folks with expert knowledge.  I'll include Elaine (Poppet) as well:happy:

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Still no sign of Jim. 🤔

Tom would’ve well and truly would’ve been along by now. 👍

57 minutes ago, charliearon said:

OH, great!  Now we are becoming the AVSIM VW Repair Shop.  Both Sue and Pam (Warchild) on the SOH site, are both excellent Fightsim folks with expert knowledge.  I'll include Elaine (Poppet) as well:happy:

Well they are used in lots of aircraft.....you can check http://www.greatplainsas.com/chooseaircrft.html

Of course if they are like my old vw was the EPA would be there in force.

Harry Woodrow

1 hour ago, charliearon said:

OH, great!  Now we are becoming the AVSIM VW Repair Shop.  

Those old VW engines Sue started on were horizontally opposed 4 cylinder engines and came in both air cooled and water cooling or 'Wasserboxer' engines, and Aircraft Engines do as well. If one was to get into Aircraft Mechanics old VW engines is a great start, Absolutely I recognized the connection right away

Every career you work your way up from the bottom so makes sense she stated on those VW type engines and transitioned into Aircraft engines as they have many similarities. AVSIM is lucky to have someone with this wealth of knowledge and experience.

Matthew Kane

VW is ending production of the bug next year.  The end of several eras.

Back when I was stationed at Yokota Air Force Base in the late sixties I worked out at the bomb dump.  I had to go on base and the truck was gone so one of my work buddies had a VW and threw me the keys and off I went. 

I had parked in a drive in slot and when I was finished with my business I couldn't figure out how to put it in reverse.  So I pushed it out of the parking the space and when I got back he showed me how to push down on the shift lever to get it into reverse.  I had never heard of that before

Isn't it interesting how conversations evolve just like when we were sitting in the hangar waiting for the weather to clear.

Noel

Edited by birdguy

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

6 minutes ago, Matthew Kane said:

AVSIM is lucky to have someone with this wealth of knowledge and experience.

I know of one flightsim forum that shall remain nameless that lost her expertise.

Noel

In case anyone on the board is following this. this thread has already collected 28 likes and 21 upvotes.

Noel

19 hours ago, Penzoil3 said:

W2DR 

The guys all put pin up pictures on their roll-a-rounds. So I put up the Jim Palmer Playgirl centerfold. The next day, word came from management - all pin ups had to go. That was fair...

BTW when gals get together, we talk about men, of course.

Sue

I love it Sue. I bought a brand-spanking new VW Bug in 1967. I learned real quick to not drive it though a puddle with the heater on. Doing so fogged up the windows so badly that the only thing I could do is park the car and wait for nature to take its course. I'll always love the Bugs. It's sad to see them go.................Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.