Sign in to follow this  
joemiller

PMDG Expansion 747-8 or QW 787

9 hours ago, thibodba57 said:

Well I would say its all on or off.  You have the dome light cranked to 75%.  

Thanks for comment Brian. Ummm, I am still very new to the QW 787, and have only done one flight so far. That pic I posted, in response to a question, was me simply sitting at an airport runway and turning on the interior lights. I 'played' a little with the various switches. Some seemed to do nothing, some were all on/off, I suspect, it is more my non understanding at present what does what when. The user Manual, page 36, mentions lights and offers more detail further into the manual in pages 74 and 75. Anyone can download the manuals from the QW site without the need to buy the a/c.

Geoff Bryce

22 minutes ago, por930 said:

Thanks for comment Brian. Ummm, I am still very new to the QW 787, and have only done one flight so far. That pic I posted, in response to a question, was me simply sitting at an airport runway and turning on the interior lights. I 'played' a little with the various switches. Some seemed to do nothing, some were all on/off, I suspect, it is more my non understanding at present what does what when. The user Manual, page 36, mentions lights and offers more detail further into the manual in pages 74 and 75. Anyone can download the manuals from the QW site without the need to buy the a/c.

This is what I see when I setup my panel for night.  In fact I turned on my flood lights than I'd prefer honestly.

43186136250_65471ff377_k.jpg

Brian Thibodeaux | B747-400/8, C-130 Flight Engineer, CFI, Type Rated: BE190, DC-9 (MD-80), B747-400

beta.gif   

My Liveries

I have been looking at the various interior light switches.

The aft console Aisle stand PNL/Flood works ok either flooding the panel or back-lighting.

The captains Panel Flood Light seems to work ok. All left=black. gradual right, brings in the flood more and more.Inner switch brings in back lighting. (of the 7 switches here, only the 2 heaters?? and the panel flood lights work)

On the overhead, The storm switch brings the overhead and lower panels into brightness. then there seems some differences between the four switches. Just a case of playing sufficiently to get your preference sorted out. 

Geoff Bryce

On 9/28/2018 at 12:29 PM, pracines said:

with this statement you prove your position as totally delusional. No person or company except God Himself has me in the palm, and I speak out either for or against as I see the plain facts. 

One of several problems with your Majestic position is the practicality of simply taxiing the plane, yes very realistic, but so foolish to attempt in a PC sim for all kinds of users. PMDG could make the steering tiller necessary by use of a mouse (grab and drag) to taxi, but as a practical service to customers they do not force this. Not everybody has or wants an extra controller just to taxi. Customer care (consideration of all potential customers) is very much a part of my advice to the OP.

There is simply no doubt that PMDG is a far superior company and their products are far superior to QW. This true fact makes the question of this topic unneeded except for the purpose of debates of opinion of value.   

Ermmmmm......in the q400 you can link the tiller to your aileron controller, use a mouse or have a dedicated controller in the spoiler axis. There is no issue here and is all user selectable in the control panel.

Nobody forces you to use mouse or have a dedicated controller.

Edited by GHarrall

24 minutes ago, GHarrall said:

Ermmmmm......in the q400 you can link the tiller to your aileron controller, use a mouse or have a dedicated controller in the spoiler axis. There is no issue here and is all user selectable in the control panel.

Nobody forces you to use mouse or have a dedicated controller.

oh aileron control is way better then rudder control to steer on the ground, huh? That's an alternative that is terrible and clumsy. And my point that not everybody has another controller or possibly no space on their desk for another controller, forceds them to use ailerons (clumsy) or mouse - (zoom out to .30 just to taxi) - terrible options (alternatives), instead of allowing the practical yet not available (rudder use).

There may not be an issue for you or me, but we are not the only people in the world - PMDG understands this Majestic does not.

I never had a problem taxiing the Q400 when it was installed, but then I always use AutoRudder. I think I had to change a setting in a config file, but that was it.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I love both. The 787 and the 747. Both give me a good time in P3D. 

The PMDG quality is overall better. But at a higher price. Simple. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, por930 said:

According to their update comments for 1.1.2.... VISUALS: VC night lighting textures improved (RealLight)

I had a look at my night time visuals just now, and looks sort of ok. Their instruments always have a soft visual feel to them, and it is either all on/off.

https://imgur.com/a/2PAIEDX

Humm, Geoff are you sure that's with the update? Yikes, it looks the same.  If so, there is something here that I'm 'guessing' is causing this effect. I have noticed this on other aircraft as well but not as pronounced as what we see in the 787.  The cockpit colors are almost black.. it's very dark. I'm wondering if the black textures make this effect (texture light- banding) more pronounced and hence we  see this issue. Again, just my 'guess.'  I don't know, and I'm  not sure if QW knows what's causing this. 

The aircraft is beautiful and I see tons and tons of hard work put into it..Hopefully they can eventually  figure-out what causes this and resolve it 

Brian, in your screen-shot, I don't see the issue. However, it's also a very dark screen-shot; therefore, a bit difficult to discern. 

Anyway folks,  thanks to everyone for your input. I believe the QW 787 is a well worth product. I will be purchasing it, soon.   As to the expansion 747-8, I will also be getting it; however, it will take a while as I have flown their 747 extensively and although the expansion has a few extras, I'm not too 'in a hurry' to get it right now. I am currently enjoying the Aerosoft Airbus family, which is also a brilliant add-on.  

Peace!

Keep Flying- Not falling !!! 

6 hours ago, pracines said:

oh aileron control is way better then rudder control to steer on the ground, huh? That's an alternative that is terrible and clumsy. And my point that not everybody has another controller or possibly no space on their desk for another controller, forceds them to use ailerons (clumsy) or mouse - (zoom out to .30 just to taxi) - terrible options (alternatives), instead of allowing the practical yet not available (rudder use).

There may not be an issue for you or me, but we are not the only people in the world - PMDG understands this Majestic does not.

Aileron control for taxi works fine and takes all of 15 seconds to get used to. But I thought this was about the technical sophistication of the different products, in which case the ground steering issue is irrelevant, being simply a design decision that some people might not like. If stuff like that is fair game then let's talk about the NGXs non-opening windows...

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, pracines said:

I had zero issue with this and it took me 5 seconds to get used to using the stick or yoke to use the tiller. Really non issue here. Picking fault over this in a comparison of pmdg to majestic is ridiculous.

3 hours ago, Holdit said:

Aileron control for taxi works fine and takes all of 15 seconds to get used to. But I thought this was about the technical sophistication of the different products, in which case the ground steering issue is irrelevant, being simply a design decision that some people might not like. If stuff like that is fair game then let's talk about the NGXs non-opening windows...

This topic is about PMDG 748 vs QW 787 -  which to buy. Majestic Q400 was thrown into the mix, and I pointed out that Majestic does not emphasize practicality as well as PMDG. You see with PMDG you CAN use a steering tiller instead of RUDDER ( like all other aircraft add-ons) - Ailerons are already needed for ground operations because of wind. So the aileron option is already a foolish/unrealistic option that could have been avoided for the sake of customer care. No rudder option for steering on the ground forces an unconventional and in some cases, not practical at all (small screen/ small desk/high winds) approach.  

Lets talk about the most realistic HGS system (extremely difficult to program - but yet very practical and very realistic) in all of flight simming - NGX.

PMDG is a more realistic and practical product. I hope this helps the OP. 😊 

5 hours ago, joemiller said:

Humm, Geoff are you sure that's with the update? Yikes, it looks the same....... . 

......Anyway folks,  thanks to everyone for your input. I believe the QW 787 is a well worth product. I will be purchasing it, soon.   As to the expansion 747-8, I will also be getting it; however, it will take a while as I have flown their 747 extensively and although the expansion has a few extras, I'm not too 'in a hurry' to get it right now. I am currently enjoying the Aerosoft Airbus family, which is also a brilliant add-on.  

Peace!

Yeah, Joe, it is the update. Though, that said, I could not see a difference in the older version and this one. Probably mostly under the hood. I have just completed 4 flights, all 3-4 hours, so, for the 787, pretty short haul. Flight plan was followed well and both Lnav and Vnav worked flawlessly. Had to help the descents a bit with spoilers, but in real life, they are often needed. Not sure if it is the resolution/graphics, but I seem to have a problem following the ILS markers when doing a ILS approach. The HUD is easier, so maybe that is their idea, rather than looking down, as I would do in real world.

If they can just get the, Save flight / panel load worked out, she is a keeper.  Maybe one day I will weaken and get the P3Dv4 747-400. Sure is a beautiful a/c.

Geoff Bryce

3 minutes ago, GHarrall said:

I had zero issue with this and it took me 5 seconds to get used to using the stick or yoke to use the tiller. Really non issue here. Picking fault over this in a comparison of pmdg to majestic is ridiculous.

Any limitation/burden is an issue in flight simming when practicality is at hand - flight sims are already much harder to fly than the real thing, no sense in making it more strange.

8 hours ago, joemiller said:

Humm, Geoff are you sure that's with the update? Yikes, it looks the same.  If so, there is something here that I'm 'guessing' is causing this effect. I have noticed this on other aircraft as well but not as pronounced as what we see in the 787.  The cockpit colors are almost black.. it's very dark. I'm wondering if the black textures make this effect (texture light- banding) more pronounced and hence we  see this issue. Again, just my 'guess.'  I don't know, and I'm  not sure if QW knows what's causing this. 

The aircraft is beautiful and I see tons and tons of hard work put into it..Hopefully they can eventually  figure-out what causes this and resolve it 

Brian, in your screen-shot, I don't see the issue. However, it's also a very dark screen-shot; therefore, a bit difficult to discern. 

Anyway folks,  thanks to everyone for your input. I believe the QW 787 is a well worth product. I will be purchasing it, soon.   As to the expansion 747-8, I will also be getting it; however, it will take a while as I have flown their 747 extensively and although the expansion has a few extras, I'm not too 'in a hurry' to get it right now. I am currently enjoying the Aerosoft Airbus family, which is also a brilliant add-on.  

Peace!

Its dark because it should be dark, there is nothing wrong with the picture I posted.  That is what I was pointing out.  He said either all the lighting was on or it was off.  But he had the Dome light on, which lights up the whole flight deck.  If you properly setup the flight deck lighting for night flight there very minimum of any flood lighting should be used.  It destroys your night vision.  Panel Back lighting is set to a desired setting and a small portion of floods are used to high-light knob position if you are having a hard time making things out.  Thats all thats needed.

• Like 1

Brian Thibodeaux | B747-400/8, C-130 Flight Engineer, CFI, Type Rated: BE190, DC-9 (MD-80), B747-400

beta.gif   

My Liveries

On 9/28/2018 at 2:29 AM, joemiller said:

Hi guys,

I'm stuck on a bit of a dilemma. I trying to decide if I should get the PMDG expansion  747-8 or if I should purchase the QW 787. I have enjoyed the PMDG Boeings for a long time; however, it has bothered me their practice of charging several time for the same aircraft "colored with a few little extras ."  Other developers  have preferred to provide free updates or a significant discounts for updates/upgrades. Thus, I have my doubts if I should continue supporting such "business approach."   On the other hand we have QW 787 which is more modern, New,  and a beautiful aircraft.  Therefore, I am debating as to whether I should get the Expansion for the 747 or get the QW787.

And, here is where I would like the owners of both aircraft.. What's your experience with both: modeling, textures, fps, extras, prices, VC lighting etc..etc..

Thanks,

Joe Miller

I have the Queen of the Skies 2. Lovely simulation of the classic 747. I do not have the 747-8. Apart from the extra size and the addition of an ACARS, the only thing that attracted my attention was the PMDG rain/snow effects, similar to Truglass. So it's an extension of the 747. The extra features don't warrant my purchase, since the Queen has all the features of the aircraft I require. If you want the -8 and don't already own the Queen, it's a big purchase!

I also have the Quality Wings Dreamliner 787. Lovely simulation of the ultra modern Boeing Dreamliner. This would be my recommendation, based upon the superb glass cockpit. This has no effect on my frame rate or smoothness. Whilst not as detailed as the PMDG 747, I find the Dreamliner has more features for a sim pilot, who wants to simulate a long flight and focus on the flying. The sim has a Jump Ahead feature, which includes the option to jump to any waypoint on the flight plan. Additionally, you may jump to the FAF and just fly the approach and land. Thus, I can take off from Heathrow, fly the SID, at cruise altitude "jump" to a waypoint across the pond and do the descent into a STAR for Dulles, in under an hour! No need to speed up P3d, or go to bed and wake up to finish the flight! You can fly 8000 Miles!

Textures are first class inside and out. You can select HD flight deck textures and these are clear. I run a UHD monitor in 4096 and I can read all the text on every MFD. All MFD's can pop out. The EFB is complete and has active display of the aircraft position, during SID or STAR, including the vertical position. The MCDU is also an MFD depicted as a dual touch screen(Captain and FO). You emulate the touch screen with your mouse. This feature is superb! You can even point and click on the ND MFD and make a waypoint, which shows the Lat/Long where your mouse (finger) is! A direct to has never been easier.

The QW 787 is currently in v1.2. The development team appear very keen to continue developing the sim and react very quickly to all posted  issues on the forum. I have only one issue with the entire simulation, that is, the HUD display has an over active Flight Path Marker. This occurs on final approach, the last place you want a FPM to jump about!  This is a known issue and the QW team are working on it.

For the money, the Dreamliner offers everything I require in a modern simulation. Lastly, when hand flying it, the experience is delightful, giving you a "feel" of a fly by wire aircraft....In built alpha prot and roll limiters really work! You can exceed roll prot by "forcing" the stick (holding Max deflection) and if you do, the passengers express (they screem) their disgust at your poor airmanship!😉

I have a few videos on my You Tube Channel, so take a look for yourself! Oh and you can have a First Officer if you want, in Multi Crew Experience, they have the simulation fully integrated!

Regards

David.