Sign in to follow this  
MarkW

I think my Corsair water cooler just died?

Wow. Sounds like a string of bad luck. I've used water coolers for years and years (more than 10) and only once had a (possible) failure.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

14 hours ago, vortex681 said:

That seems like a bit of a sweeping statement. Where Is your data coming from and what sort of snapshot size? If your statement is true then those AIO manufacturers who give a 5-year warranty would appear to be shooting themselves in the foot. It doesn't make economic sense for a company to give a warranty period significantly longer than the expected life of the product.

Steady on... "data" lol. No need to get carried away. 

As I said, "I understand" as in, "so I believe" or "so I recall"  or  "so iv'e heard". Nothing definitive.

I recall it was a comment made on either Jayz2Cents or Tom Logan's channel a couple of years ago, may have been 5 years not 3. Feel free to disagree with him or me. 😉

14 hours ago, MarkW said:

I am thinking of starting another thread where we all discuss the pros and cons of me buying a cheap air cooler to use while I wait for the rma to return me a working unit. 

There are cheaper Noctua coolers that cool very well indeed. Not to mention BeQuiet who make some rather nice air coolers. Phanteks too. 

NH-U14S is nice. About £30 cheaper than a D15. NZXT do the Respire that's cheaper but doesn't cool so well, so depends on your requirements. 

https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/5434/noctua-nh-u14s-cpu-cooler-review/index10.html

Thermalright worth looking at too.

Edited by martin-w

An Update:

I took out the cooler and put in a cheap fan cooler that is doing the job for now.  Corsair wanted me to test a few things so I plugged the unit back into the MB and power but not installed and what do you know the pump RPM was normal, there was a water sound for a few minutes which I assume was air and then silent and working.  I am not sure what to make of it other than I may have had a lose connection.

Anyway, I actually never got around to de-lidding and overclocking the 8700K which is kind of a waste given that I have this chip and a water cooler so next step is to buy the Rockit Tool and do the delid and put it all back for a hopefully nice overclock.  I still have 3 months to test before the warranty runs out.

One question, I cleaned off the conductive paste that comes with the H115i so not what should I use to replace it when I reinstall?  Can i use the same liquid metal that I will use for the delid?

Edited by MarkW

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

21 hours ago, MarkW said:

One question, I cleaned off the conductive paste that comes with the H115i so not what should I use to replace it when I reinstall?  Can i use the same liquid metal that I will use for the delid?

I use Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut. Conventional paste, not liquid metal. There's not much difference between the top conventional TIM's.

I wouldn't use liquid metal between cooler and IHS to be honest, as it's electrically conductive.  Most definitely not on aluminium, as it will degrade the aluminium. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, martin-w said:

I use Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut. Conventional paste, not liquid metal. There's not much difference between the top conventional TIM's.

I wouldn't use liquid metal between cooler and IHS to be honest, as it's electrically conductive.  Most definitely not on aluminium, as it will degrade the aluminium. 

OK thanks.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000