Sign in to follow this  
Dreamflight767

Understanding Dup. Scenery

Hi:

Can somebody explain to me why I keep getting duplicate scenery.  In P3D's scenery library I have the scenery I want to above scenery that should be suppressed.  For example I have downloaded and installed a few freeware airports from the library.  However, when I go to that airport I just added/updated, there are duplicate buildings (terminals, hangers, towers, etc.).  Also, when I open the GSX airport catch, it too keeps "grabbing" the wrong airport.

What am I doing wrong?  I know about about the "Simple Airport Scanner", but that doesn't seem to help.

Thanks!

Aaron Ortega

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor, Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard, Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive, SAMSUNG 870 QVO SATA III SSD 4TB, Asus TUF GAMING GeForce RTX 3090 24 GB Video Card, ASUS ROG STRIX 850G 850W Gold Power Supply, Windows 10 x64 Home

It's not your fault!

There might be other reasons, but first and foremost it does not matter if You put the freeware scenery at the top, if it does not have exclusion rectangles other non stock airports with the same Name will still bleed through and show up in the scenery.

It is time consuming, but IMO the best course of action is to disable all other airport bgl's with the same name by renaming them to airport.bgl.OFF
another thing to consider to avoid elevation problems are the flatten bgl's in \scenery\world\scenery

As an example aside from the stock one I have 4 different versions of TIST all are disabled except the one from Tropicalsim. (UTX disabled via its CP, XpressSim, Orbx, & My Traffic to .OFF)
This is quite common with AI Trafic packages.

Edited by RamonB

Thanks for your reply.  I guess I have a few more questions.

-Is there a way to add exclusion rectangles?

-Where do I look for airport bgl's w/ the same name? 

-If I turn them off, will it affect other airports?

Thanks.

Aaron Ortega

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor, Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard, Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive, SAMSUNG 870 QVO SATA III SSD 4TB, Asus TUF GAMING GeForce RTX 3090 24 GB Video Card, ASUS ROG STRIX 850G 850W Gold Power Supply, Windows 10 x64 Home

On 9/29/2018 at 11:38 AM, Dreamflight767 said:

Thanks for your reply.  I guess I have a few more questions.

-Is there a way to add exclusion rectangles?

-Where do I look for airport bgl's w/ the same name? 

-If I turn them off, will it affect other airports?

Thanks.

1. For exclusion rectangles use ScruffyDuck's (JM)  ADE  (read the manual)  I recommend also buying the Prokey Feature, it will allow to do many more things with ADE.

2. To find airport BGL's with the same name You can try Simple Airport Scanner or as I do; use windows search with something like: tist*.bgl or  *tist*bgl*

(replace with your airport ICAO) in your P4D folders. Beware of elevation correction bgl's in Scenery\world|scenery

3. Turned off airports won't interfere with other airports, they just wont show.

Whatever You do remember to take notes and or make copies of the bgl's. (At least until you feel comfortable doing it.)

Edited by RamonB

Adding exclusions can really mess up your sim unless you really know what you are doing and is the last thing that you should be doing. Have you already ruled out that you have no conflicting scenery or airport files ANYWHERE in your sim?

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

Thanks for your help everyone.  I've posted this issue over at GSX and I think I've narrowed my issue down to this:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,18925.msg131424.html#msg131424

Problem now, I can't find the couatl.ini. 

Aaron Ortega

Couatl.ini is normally located in C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Roaming\Virtuali

The problem described in the post you referenced is related to GSX Level 2 not seeing the correct ADE file (e.g. misplaced or improperly named parking spots) because GSX2 with the default setup does not recognize very large consolidated airport files with objects integrated within them, rather than the usual separation of objects into a separate bgl.  So GSX2 was using the parking spots defined in the stock P3D scenery rather than the ADE file, until the couatl.ini file parameter was added to force GSX2 recognition of larger airport files.  This is a different issue than default buildings appearing, as this is a P3D behavior, with or without GSX installed.

Generally speaking, you need to ensure that there are not multiple ADE/airport files for a single airport unless the creator of the airport file explicitly intended one to be overlaid over the other.  One example of that practice would be ORBX sceneries where a generic lower-fidelity airport file is included in a regional scenery and you then install their full airport add-on above it--in that case ORBX puts the necessary excludes into the full airport add-on to prevent the lower-fidelity ADE in the regional scenery from bleeding through or otherwise conflicting.  An example of this would be ORBX' KMRY airport installed above the one included as part of their NoCal region.  But if you were to put, for example, a Ray Smith ADE for KBUR above the KBUR ADE that is included with ORBX' SoCal regional scenery, you're likely to have problems, even including CTD and other stability issues. 

The correct approach, in this example, would be to disable the KBUR ADE files (including the ADE, cvx, and obj bgl files) included in the ORBX regional scenery if you wish to instead use the Ray Smith ADE.  You'll also have to re-disable those ORBX bgl files every time FTXCentral does an update, as it will detect the missing files that you disabled or removed and replace them.  I use a custom batch file to do this, and I run it after every use of FTXCentral to makes sure things don't get put back without my knowledge.

Regards

• Like 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Thanks for your help!  So originally I thought my problem was a sim issue to include issues with dup. scenery because I couldn't get the 748 ND taxi map or GSX to see the add-on scenery.  

Now I understand that I have two separate issues neither of which are P3D fault.  I have since resolved the issue with the 748 but I can't resolve the issue with GSX as I have no entry called Couatl.ini in my in C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Roaming\Virtuali.

So now I have to figure out what my issue is with that.  I've requested help on those forums.

Aaron Ortega

Found it.  Disregard.  Thanks.

Aaron Ortega

Hi Again,

Can somebody please explain how to make an ini file.  What program to use etc.

Thanks.

Aaron Ortega

I use Notepad++, as it preserves the character set and EOL conventions of the file when it writes it back out.  P3D is sensitive to character set with a number of its config files...using the default Windows Notepad to edit config files is a dance with danger now.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case