Sign in to follow this  
Radial9

Q400 Rookie Questions Round One

After quite a series of CPAN/hardware issues, FSUIPC conflicts and operator head space I FINALLY have my Q400 up and flying. Over the past few weeks I have gone through the Airline2Sim Cadet training and am now flying a few flights a day between KSEA and CYVR. Going fairly well. I think I might be on my way up the learning curve. VNAV even works.

I need to come here with crumbled up aviator hat in hand and ask a few questions that I have jotted down that I can’t seem to find answers to. Hopefully some of the experienced Q400 pilots can shed some learning light on these items.

In the Airline2 Sim videos they press the format button to bring up the course deviation image on top of the terrain map to prepare for landing. It is inop until LNAV goes to Heading Mode. I have tried every combination of settings and cannot bring up the overlay. Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

The voltage on the far right side of the electrical panel shows .15 all the way, top and bottom. Video’s I watch show .25. Should I worry about this?

The last issue is not the Q400, but the Aurasim web app used to determine V speeds. I bought a 2 year sub for $5, however I cannot figure out how to enter data to get the calculations. Whenever I click on the Airport tab a blank larger box comes up that will not allow any data input. If I press another button I get another overlay on top of the text already on the screen and the app crashes, completely inop. I attempt to send Aurasim an email asking for directions/instructions but their message input web app is broken too. Spooky.

"word not allowed" away $20 for Topcat along with my PFPX purchase. Learning to use it. Somewhat quirky, but I’m getting there. It’ll teach me to look a bit more before purchasing some of these goodies. No Q400 profile for Topcat.

Other than that I’m having a grand time learning to fly this beautiful AC. A few more weeks and I’m going to start logging some VA hours. Bought some nice airport scenery for KSEA.

Might not be the last time I have to come here with hat in hand for some directions. Lots of reading, watching and flying. BTW, yes… I have folded it into a ball of aluminum more than once over the past few weeks. That’s how you learn.

Appreciate any thoughts.

Cheers,

Edited by Radial9

If I can make a suggestion, post this in the Majestic forum, and kroswynd there, an ace of most things Dash Q400-8 I have discovered, who has most answers to everything, should probably nail this for you.

I can help with the format button, for the ILS setup press and hold the format until the correct page opens - likewise to close. to check your entered flightplan quickly press the format button and the map/plan will open.

steve southey

You have to hold the format button for at least 2-3 seconds. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

12 hours ago, Radial9 said:

The voltage on the far right side of the electrical panel shows .15 all the way, top and bottom. Video’s I watch show .25. Should I worry about this?

It's .15 here too so nothing to worry about.

Can't help you with Aurasim but I always wonder why people spend money on this when you can easily check out speeds with the provided charts... The differences between speeds is small anyway and you never exactly take off or land on them so... Just curious. ;)

as far as Aurasim  when you click on Airports, a large box with a much smaller box at the bottom appears. Enter the Airport code in the bottom small box. Then the airport will appear at the top of the large box and you click on that to select it. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS