Sign in to follow this  
chass32

Dissapointed with no Rift revision next year

Hi,I

I was pretty disappointed with oculus for leaving the Rift out of a revision for 2 more years until a 2.0 is out. I won´t wait another 2 years for a better resolution. I was happy with the idea of buying a revision next year and then waiting for a 2.0 release, but if it´s not going to happen I´ll jump to another HDM without looking back.

Wonder how the Samsung Odissey works with P3D, and that Pimax 5+ tho I´m not sure about the quality of this once since I hear nice reviews and horrible ones the same day. The vive pro would be ideal but the price is a joke.

Are you guys going to wait for a Rift 2.0 or are you going to try something new?

Cheers

Carlos

NLR Motion Platform V3, Intel Core i9-9900K OC @ 5Ghz, Gigabyte Gaming OC 11GB RTX 2080ti, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra. Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing LED RGB 360. Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3000 PC4-24000 32GB 4x8GB CL15. Lexar Professional NM700 M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3x4 NVMe 1TB SSD. Toughpower iRGB Plus 80 Plus Platinum 850W Full Modular. Thermaltake View32 TG USB 3.0 RGB. Oculus Rift S. Qled Samsung 65Q7FN.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/752110/global-vr-headset-sales-by-brand/

https://www.statista.com/statistics/671403/global-virtual-reality-device-shipments-by-vendor/

Except for the Sony PS4 headset, worldwide sales of VR headsets are increasing, but not as fast as once predicted. Even the PS4 VR headset sales have not increased as fast as expected.

1 hour ago, chass32 said:

Hi,I

I was pretty disappointed with oculus for leaving the Rift out of a revision for 2 more years until a 2.0 is out. I won´t wait another 2 years for a better resolution. I was happy with the idea of buying a revision next year and then waiting for a 2.0 release, but if it´s not going to happen I´ll jump to another HDM without looking back.

Wonder how the Samsung Odissey works with P3D, and that Pimax 5+ tho I´m not sure about the quality of this once since I hear nice reviews and horrible ones the same day. The vive pro would be ideal but the price is a joke.

Are you guys going to wait for a Rift 2.0 or are you going to try something new?

Cheers

Carlos

I don't really see anything that's both better than the Rift, and simultaneously a good value for what in the case of the Samsung at least, seems to be a negligible difference in image quality. Also, these newer higher resolution headsets like the Pimax are going to demand some serious horsepower, and I suspect only the 20 series nvidia cards will be able in the short to medium term to handle the more graphically intense VR titles at very high settings on those devices.

It seems to be a time for waiting, and watching carefully. I find it hard to believe that Oculus will leave the challenge of Pimax unanswered for very long......

• Like 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I switched to the Odyssey from the rift, it is only marginally clearer but the displays themselves are much much better.  Night was always too bright with the rift and it had a very poor contrast ratio so I got horrible banding in the sky.  That being said, I HATE the interface of the Odyssey, its just nowhere near as intuitive, you cant use it in a dark room, and the sound cuts out when the headset goes to sleep, the only way to gt sound back is to restart p3d.  I actually mount it on top of an oscillating fan when on longer flights just to avoid it going to sleep.  i put up with all of this nonsense because of how much better the displays are than the rift so i could not recommend a rift for that reason.  Personally I would get a 5k+ or the 8k+ when it comes out, you are going to need to crank the super sampling way up anyway if you want to be able to read your instruments with the rift or Odyssey so the hardware requirements are a moot point imo.  If you absolutely cant wait I would suggest the vive pro, same screens but no goofy microsoft interface.  

• Like 3

Lian Li 011 Air Mini | AMD 7950X3D | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F | Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 280mm RGB | 2x32GB G.Skill DDR5-6000 | ASUS TUF RTX 4090 | Seasonic Prime Platinum 1000W | Varjo Aero

yeah, rift cv1 is a good value and will keep me going until cv2 with newer vid card become available in few years.  life span is finite, is it worth waiting for 'the' version to come out or enjoy cv1 now which is nothing short of amazing compared to a large 4k screen with tir?   i'd argue for the 2nd option.

the p3dv4 native vr is quite good now--with decent supersampling things clear up ok and the zoom function makes instruments crystal clear.   

• Like 2

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS

7 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

I don't really see anything that's both better than the Rift, and simultaneously a good value for what in the case of the Samsung at least, seems to be a negligible difference in image quality. Also, these newer higher resolution headsets like the Pimax are going to demand some serious horsepower, and I suspect only the 20 series nvidia cards will be able in the short to medium term to handle the more graphically intense VR titles at very high settings on those devices.

It seems to be a time for waiting, and watching carefully. I find it hard to believe that Oculus will leave the challenge of Pimax unanswered for very long......

Last night a friend of mine brought his Oculus go at home so I could see the difference in resolution since the Go has the same resolution as Odyssey and Vive pro, and I was quite pleased with what I saw. Of course I won´t pay 1000 euros for that (vive pro) but I could go for an odyssey if ever comes to europe. I was expecting less difference, with that screen door almost gone (still there tho) the gray image you get with the Rift even in Athens LGAV in august is definitely gone. The colours are brighter and probably you can read gauges much better.

That´s personal, of course, but in my case a resolution like this is what you need to wait for a rift 2.0, valve 2.0 or whatever. I´m looking the pimax as well, since I plan to get a RTX2080ti and an i9 9900k but there are too many questions about these googles yet, but they will be compatible with steam and oculus which is a point.

Btw, is the Odyssey fully compatible with p3d? Since in the menu only lets you choose vive or oculus.

Cheers

Carlos

• Like 1

NLR Motion Platform V3, Intel Core i9-9900K OC @ 5Ghz, Gigabyte Gaming OC 11GB RTX 2080ti, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra. Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing LED RGB 360. Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3000 PC4-24000 32GB 4x8GB CL15. Lexar Professional NM700 M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3x4 NVMe 1TB SSD. Toughpower iRGB Plus 80 Plus Platinum 850W Full Modular. Thermaltake View32 TG USB 3.0 RGB. Oculus Rift S. Qled Samsung 65Q7FN.

12 hours ago, Pilot53 said:

I switched to the Odyssey from the rift, it is only marginally clearer but the displays themselves are much much better.  Night was always too bright with the rift and it had a very poor contrast ratio so I got horrible banding in the sky.  That being said, I HATE the interface of the Odyssey, its just nowhere near as intuitive, you cant use it in a dark room, and the sound cuts out when the headset goes to sleep, the only way to gt sound back is to restart p3d.  I actually mount it on top of an oscillating fan when on longer flights just to avoid it going to sleep.  i put up with all of this nonsense because of how much better the displays are than the rift so i could not recommend a rift for that reason.  Personally I would get a 5k+ or the 8k+ when it comes out, you are going to need to crank the super sampling way up anyway if you want to be able to read your instruments with the rift or Odyssey so the hardware requirements are a moot point imo.  If you absolutely cant wait I would suggest the vive pro, same screens but no goofy microsoft interface.  

Great discussion !  Mike, I appreciate your comment about "banding" in the night sky in P3D.  I am *still* trying to find a workaround, having somehow convinced myself that there is some magical combo of RexSkyFrce + EnvTex + a PTA preset that will once and for all render a decent nightsky with the Rift.  But I am not sure yet whether I can make those hard 'sky bands' go away.  Total buzzkill on niteflights.  I agree with the other comments though....running it at 1.6 super with the tool is yielding 'good enough' resoluts and the fact that we can now zoom in VR with LM's native VR support is a definite step in the right direction.  

Here  in NorCal the Vive Pro is on "sale" for $799.  Hmmmmm I wonder if it is worth it.  

If anyone knows how to rid the nightsky in P3D of the colorbanding, I am all ears.  

cheers, 

JB

rgds, JB

Intel 11900K @ 5.0GHz, MSI Z590, 32GB G.Skill 3600Mhz, RTX 4080 MSI Ventus, GoFlight modules, HP Reverb G2 VR, FlyVirtual.net, Private Pilot SEL rating

14 minutes ago, joby33y said:

Here  in NorCal the Vive Pro is on "sale" for $799.  Hmmmmm I wonder if it is worth it.

Headset only, I believe.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

8 hours ago, joby33y said:

If anyone knows how to rid the nightsky in P3D of the colorbanding, I am all ears.  

cheers, 

JB

Unfortunately the only way to get rid of it is to ditch the rift...  Which is precisely why i switched, like you say it was a total buzzkill at night, it looks like fs98.  The OLED's on the rift are very poor quality and dont have the contrast ratio to display the shades of darkness present during twilight or sunrise, and because the contrast is so off it wont look dark at night either although part of this is p3d's issue since xplane was dark, still had banding though.  With the Odyssey I am able to get true darkness at night in p3d.  The AMOLEDs in the vive pro/Odyssey are able to display a much finer contrast compared the the first gen OLED's.  This is what concerns me about the pimax headsets, they use LCD's which would theoretically be far worse than OLEDS or AMOLEDS for this sort of thing.

Lian Li 011 Air Mini | AMD 7950X3D | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F | Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 280mm RGB | 2x32GB G.Skill DDR5-6000 | ASUS TUF RTX 4090 | Seasonic Prime Platinum 1000W | Varjo Aero

28 minutes ago, Pilot53 said:

Unfortunately the only way to get rid of it is to ditch the rift...  Which is precisely why i switched, like you say it was a total buzzkill at night, it looks like fs98.  The OLED's on the rift are very poor quality and dont have the contrast ratio to display the shades of darkness present during twilight or sunrise, and because the contrast is so off it wont look dark at night either although part of this is p3d's issue since xplane was dark, still had banding though.  With the Odyssey I am able to get true darkness at night in p3d.  The AMOLEDs in the vive pro/Odyssey are able to display a much finer contrast compared the the first gen OLED's.  This is what concerns me about the pimax headsets, they use LCD's which would theoretically be far worse than OLEDS or AMOLEDS for this sort of thing.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Pimax/comments/9gykbe/sweviver_just_confirmed_blacks_are_better_than/

• Like 1

Devons rig

I´ve seen some Oculus Quest reviewers saying that the USB-C connection that the Quest has, shouldn´t be too complicated to use it to connect it to the PC and play our games, sims, with it.

No idea if this is sci-fi, but sounds interesting if it really can be done.

cheers

Carlos

If the Quest is wireless out of the box when connected to a PC, I could be in if it has slightly better image quality but I doubt it.

The Vive Pro would have to drop to half price before I'd be interested for flightsim. Not worth it compared to Rift CV1.

Pimax 5k+ is a big possibility if the price of a 2080ti comes down to something resembling sanity. I have a feeling the 5k+ 2080ti combination are going to be very well suited. I might even pay top dollar for the 5k+ 2080ti combination even if it embarrasses me to admit I'm a sucker.

Pimax is the solution for flight sim with reasonable screens and fov but prices are too inflated to make it worth it compared to being on Rift CV1 which is still good enough.

People who have trouble with image quality play around with shader presets and autostarx for night I agree the banding at night is bad but it is still a great experience at night some of the most memorable flights of my life have been at night in the Rift. Make sure you turn off HDR at night otherwise you will get greyed out effect. Also I think the banding is not just the headset but a weakness of the sim itself.

EDIT: The biggest concern I have for Pimax 5K+ is not the price but support and warranty servicing.

Edited by glider1

Ill be grabbing a Pimax 5K

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

On 9/29/2018 at 5:34 PM, joby33y said:

What exactly do you guys mean with colour banding? Do you mean that the sunset/sunrise in the evening does not display a smooth gradient from orange to dark blue sky?

I am using Rift CV1 with FlyInside and FSX SE and do not see that sort of issues.

What I am annoyed by though is the fact that the Milkey way band is completely exaggerated in brightness and to make thinks worse has been given a wrong depth value so that it appears in front of the stars instead of behind as it should. Is that what you mean or is is P3D only matter?

Antoine v Heck
---
Ryzen 5800X3D, 32Gb DDR4 RAM@1600 Mhz, RTX3090 (24GB VRAM). 2TB SSD - VR with Quest 2 via link cable 

I popped for the vive pro (I know, im disgusted with myself, but I do play a bunch of room scale stuff) and for FS with resolution increase certainly helps.  I can actually read the PFD without much/any eye strain.  Seeing the runway in the distance also looks much better.  Curious on that Pimax 5k though..

Chris DeGroat  

XP11 | MSFS

i9 12900k | 32GB DDR5 RAM | 2TB Samsung EVO SSD (1TB x 2 in RAID 0) | MSI RTX 3090 | Reverb G2 | RealSimGear TBM900 Panel with Yoko+ TQ6+ & TM TPR Pedals