Sign in to follow this  
Dazzyt66

Autogen and Photorealistic scenery

Hey,

ive trawled through literally hundreds of threads to try and find a definitive guide to this.

Q. Can I add Autogen (buildings, trees etc) to photorealistic scenes for fs9?

I believe the answer is yes, but I have no idea how to start. 

I have some photo scenery I got from eBay, and I can create my own using FSET but how to I get Autogen on it so it isn’t ‘flat’ everywhere? Ideally I would like to place stuff too so it becomes more real at low levels.

i have sbuilder and whilst I can do the island tutorial that comes with it, I can’t work out in my head how to do this with photos. I think the answer may be to use sbuilderx and import for fs9 but I don’t want to go down another blind alley.

i guess this is the problem coming new into something that’s 15 years old now... 😔

Any help much appreciated!

You really are getting stuck into FS9...... good man! 🙂

These days my goto site for technical questions is https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/

Simply a site full of kind helpful geniuses. 

May I give you some tips.

Every time you add something to your sim there is a good chance it may cause a problem.

Only add 1 addon at a time and then check it. 

Check scenery for alpha channels and mipmaps. (use Alpha searcher or DXTfixer)

Get ADE (Airport Design Editor) simply amazing software for Airport/Afcad design.

Regards

Ed

Edited by edetroit
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for this. I am getting stuck into it. It’s great fun!

I carried on my search on fsdeveloper and through a link there I think I have found the answer using Autogen annotator - I will give it a go!

Yeah, I have been making changes one at a time - and indeed had a few false starts, but seems ok - so far...

Although I am tempted to get FSX as well now, there are some low costs available on eBay... 😀

39 minutes ago, Dazzyt66 said:

Although I am tempted to get FSX as well now.😀

Strikes me that you may be a "low 'n slow" guy....in which case I understand the attraction of FSX. (which is not much younger than FS9)

Really FSX should be bypassed and head straight to P3Dv4. IMO

I will be here waiting for you when you come back. 😎

Edited by edetroit
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, edetroit said:

Strikes me that you may be a "low 'n slow" guy....in which case I understand the attraction of FSX. (which is not much younger than FS9)

Really FSX should be bypassed and head straight to P3Dv4. IMO

I will be here waiting for you when you come back. 😎

😂 I’m sure I’ll get there eventually... 10 years or so... as I just got a copy of FSX for £5...✌️

Edited by Dazzyt66
Additional info

Before you give up on FS9, Dazzy, I'd suggest a glance at HaraldG's current Hungarian thread in the Avsim Screen Shots forum, which gives some idea of what FS9 is still capable of as a GA sim.  It really sings on modern computer hardware, both at busy airports and out in the hinterlands.

• Like 1

John G.

3 hours ago, PittsS2B said:

Before you give up on FS9, Dazzy, I'd suggest a glance at HaraldG's current Hungarian thread in the Avsim Screen Shots forum, which gives some idea of what FS9 is still capable of as a GA sim.  It really sings on modern computer hardware, both at busy airports and out in the hinterlands.

Cool. I’ll take a look. I haven’t given up on it yet - it runs great on my i3 laptop and I love flying on it, it’ll be interesting to see the difference with FSX. I’ll probably run them both as I experiment going forwards 😀

Edited by Dazzyt66