Sign in to follow this  
Akila

how to limit my Yoke/Aircraft Max angle?

3 minutes ago, Akila said:

haven't you noticed how hardly you stair the yoke and you getting very good sharp turns?

that is not realistic (based on my own humble flight experience I doing on Cessna in life), in reality you need a lot more stair for the same turn you getting with your CH yoke.
and the reason behind it is that you are getting double the amount of ailerons deflection because your yoke transmits more stair than you actually doing (that is where we are getting with the 90 degree vs the 45 degree mismatching).

So you want to cut in half the realistic roll rate of a Cessna because you are using a yoke with an unrealistic low aileron travel.

Btw, I was referring to the FS calibration. There's no sensitivity setting in the cfg file. 

15 minutes ago, J35OE said:

So you want to cut in half the realistic roll rate of a Cessna because you are using a yoke with an unrealistic low aileron travel.

not exactly, what I am doing is limiting the yoke in the aircraft to not move more than 45 degrees.
what it does, it matches reality to my gear, at least up to 45 degrees.
if you asking what about anything behind 45 degrees?, than yes it is toasted, gone, but i hardly need such angle anyway.

i prefer reality on 97% of the times I use the control over the 3% of the times I might need more than 45 degrees yoke command.

saitek Cessna yoke owners that moved from the regular pro flight know exactly what I am talking about.
they felt the difference on the spot...

P.S that is how i realized that that was my issue. i couldn't pin point why the controls are so not realistic? why the yoke movement yields a lot more aircraft turn in the SIM than in real life.
until by chance I had an opportunity to try out my friend's yoke and it was perfect, than I realized why... the degree mismatch between the yoke and SIM.
to prove it i took it to my SIM and i saw teh difference, than with my original yoke i could clearly see how at max 45 degrees it deflects the ailerons to the same level that the Cessna yoke does at 90 degrees turn. 

Edited by Akila

Joel Strikovsky
Banner_FS2Crew_NGX_Driver.jpg

Matching the yoke angle doesn't make it much more 'realistic' because you are still playing with cheap yoke without force feedback, or control loading or at least a realistic deflection angle.

That's the compromise you usually have to make with desktop sims.

• Like 1

force feedback, control loading, is not relevant for this conversation/issue i raised, it is off topic (it is a discussion by itself), I am only talking about ailerons behavior to match realism and deflection angle to physical yoke in hand.

if you have a yoke that is limited to 45 degrees turn, you suffer from the same problem, you just did not realize it, you will once you try a 90 degrees yoke or hand fly a real airplane and you would spot it instantly.

Edited by Akila

Joel Strikovsky

3 minutes ago, Akila said:

force feedback, control loading, is not relevant to this conversation/issue i raised, it is off topic (it is a discussion by itself), I am only talking about ailerons behavior to match realism and deflection angle to physical yoke in hand.

if you have a yoke that is limited to 45 degrees turn, you suffer from the same problem, you just did not realize it, you will once you try a 90 degrees yoke
and you would spot it instantly.

If you really think that control loading etc. is off topic and not relevant than you have apparently never flown with such a yoke and you are only guessing.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, J35OE said:

If you really think that control loading etc. is off topic and not relevant than you have apparently never flown with such a yoke and you are only guessing.

i said it is off topic for the specific issue I raised.
the same we can raise many other things that do not match reality, like cockpit movement that we don't have (motion cockpit) and professional compute aerodynamics, etc. but those are discussions by them selves that deserve their own post/thread, not related to my original post/topic.

force feedback / control loading, is not relevant for the 45 vs 90 degrees ailerons/deflection issue.

Edited by Akila

Joel Strikovsky

Hello,

As I understand the issue:

- You have a yoke which has a full 180 degrees of travel (90 degrees left and right), as does the aircraft

- But the control respnse in the aircraft is non-linear.

This is indeed the case and I presume because Microsoft reduced the sensitivity around the centre detent artificially to make the default aircraft feel less sensitive (especially to thosw with less range of movement on e.g. joysticks etc) and thus easier to fly.

You are correct that it is a pain and makes accurate flying quite difficult! 

The only solution I can offer - and what I do - is to use a registered version of FSUIPC and assign your controls through that. You can then adjust the input slope, making the response more sensitive around the centre and less sensitive toward the end of the travel in an attempt to 'cancel out' the slope MS have hardcoded. With a little experimentation you will be able to get a nice linear control response where the yoke deflection in the sim matches your hardware. It does indeed make the aeroplane a lot easier and less twitchy to fly! 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Akila said:

or the other option which I am taking is to tweak it to better match reality (at least up to 45 degrees), that case I won't have to live with this 🙂
it is a price i am willing to pay, not to be able and have more than 45 degrees (maybe 3% of my flight time I need it) for the benefit
of 97% of my flight time of having a much more realistic ailerons movements on my yoke up to 45 degrees yoke movement 

I see your point but a number of have already told you how to fix it. Even if we disagree with you. Just lower the sensitivity of your controller through fs. 

Or, just get a new controller.

I picked up a thrustmaster warthog a couple days ago. I switched from a 10 year old x52.

Even though it doesnt deflect a full 90 degrees, flying on the sim now feels much more close to reality than it ever did with the x52. 

Getting a new controller may help.

Another thing as well, like I said before, learn to fly with YOUR yoke. I have over 4000 hours and more than half of that is in airliners. I have never felt that a joystick or a yoke that never fully deflected felt any less real than an airplane. I never have had issues over controlling an airplane in the sim.

I mean hell, it takes very very little co trol input from the yokes in real life to initiate any change in attitude in a real airplane. 

I dont see why totes having such a problem with your yoke. 

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

1 minute ago, skelsey said:

Hello,

- You have a yoke which has a full 180 degrees of travel (90 degrees left and right), as does the aircraft

- But the control respnse in the aircraft is non-linear.

This is indeed the case and I presume because Microsoft reduced the sensitivity around the centre detent artificially to make the default aircraft feel less sensitive (especially to thosw with less range of movement on e.g. joysticks etc) and thus easier to fly.

You are correct that it is a pain and makes accurate flying quite difficult! 

The only solution I can offer - and what I do - is to use a registered version of FSUIPC and assign your controls through that. You can then adjust the input slope, making the response more sensitive around the centre and less sensitive toward the end of the travel in an attempt to 'cancel out' the slope MS have hardcoded. With a little experimentation you will be able to get a nice linear control response where the yoke deflection in the sim matches your hardware. It does indeed make the aeroplane a lot easier and less twitchy to fly! 

He said his controller only travels 45 degrees...

Matt kubanda

15 minutes ago, Akila said:

force feedback, control loading, is not relevant for this conversation/issue i raised, it is off topic (it is a discussion by itself), I am only talking about ailerons behavior to match realism and deflection angle to physical yoke in hand.

if you have a yoke that is limited to 45 degrees turn, you suffer from the same problem, you just did not realize it, you will once you try a 90 degrees yoke or hand fly a real airplane and you would spot it instantly.

You haven't mentioned anything about the elevators being out if wack. I know for a fact that that should be raising an eyebrow for you as well. 

Matt kubanda

4 minutes ago, skelsey said:

Hello,

no, exactly the opposite: I have controls that only have 90 degrees (45 to each side) which are mismatch to the airplane 180 degrees.
that causes a total mess.

Joel Strikovsky

1 minute ago, ahsmatt7 said:

He said his controller only travels 45 degrees...

Re-reading, I see that is correct.

In any event, the solution actually probably remains the same: adjust the control response using FSUIPC (possibly in the other direction) until a satisfactory balance is achieved.

Just now, Akila said:

no, exactly the opposite: I have controls that only have 90 degrees (45 to each side) which are mismatch to the airplane 180 degrees.
that causes a total mess.

5 minutes ago, ahsmatt7 said:

Another thing as well, like I said before, learn to fly with YOUR yoke. I have over 4000 hours and more than half of that is in airliners. I have never felt that a joystick or a yoke that never fully deflected felt any less real than an airplane. I never have had issues over controlling an airplane in the sim.

I mean hell, it takes very very little co trol input from the yokes in real life to initiate any change in attitude in a real airplane. 

I dont see why totes having such a problem with your yoke. 

try using a full 180 degrees yoke (90 degrees on each side) and you would know exactly what I am talking about 🙂

Joel Strikovsky

7 minutes ago, ahsmatt7 said:

You haven't mentioned anything about the elevators being out if wack. I know for a fact that that should be raising an eyebrow for you as well. 

i personally didn't find an issue in that area, I only experienced the ailerons issue.
maybe you have the elevators issues, I don't know.

Edited by Akila

Joel Strikovsky

2 minutes ago, skelsey said:

Re-reading, I see that is correct.

In any event, the solution actually probably remains the same: adjust the control response using FSUIPC (possibly in the other direction) until a satisfactory balance is achieved.

will give it a shot, thanks 🙂

Joel Strikovsky