Sign in to follow this  
ronzie

NAVDATA

Guest lesroach

Hi Guys.What do we do know that the DOD in the US have decided to stop the availability of the DAFIF file to the general public at large. If anyone knows of a way to get the same information from other source's i'd be grateful. I have made extensive searches over the net over the past week for the same but to no avail.Les RoachPmdg 737/747 user

Hello,Richard Stefan of www.navdata.at fame has already announced that he will continue his service, as he has made a new source for the data available to him.Yours,Martin Georg/EDDFVATSIM Europe Division Director *** mailto:vateud1@vateud.org

I did not see that on his site or forum. Could you provide a link please?Thanks.

Hiya,that was in a statement in german language in the VACC-SAG forum (VACC-SAG is the german-speaking branch of VATSIM).Yours,Martin Georg/EDDFVATSIM Europe Division Director *** mailto:vateud1@vateud.org

Guest lesroach

Hi Martin.Thanks for that, never thought to check with Richard, or to look on vatsim europe.regardsLes Roach

I saw his good/bad post but unfortunately do not understand German. I will of course take your word for that.Also my compliments to VACC-SAG for the charts they offer. The resouces are very well organized.

Guest aafuss

How will FS Commander be affected?

In the references to commercialization and sourcing documents to private vendors the name Jeppeson comes to mind since they furnish international documents.It would be interesting to see what their comment is.As far as US documents the Freedom of Information act states they need to be made available. It does not state at no cost.As an example meteorlogical data from NOAA is provided at fee by private satellite distrfibution in certain formats for weather building models, etc. Not all data (although much is) is available at no charge.

Guest aafuss

In my country, Australia, we keep some data public-http://www.casa.gov.au/ (Australian aviation authority), http://asdd.ga.gov.au/ unlike the US.

Just to clarify, the US data for US governed areas will still remain public. It is the distribution of non-US governed areas that will be restricted for distribution by the US government publishing services. As the posted link to the NGA site notes that there is also a conflict of intellectual rights (read copyright) only in the international sense. That is more of a monetary commercial publishing issue, not a security one. Non-US governments granted publishing rights of their material for internal use by DoD agencies.Commercial publishers that have obtained rights to that material or who have been contracted to provide that material will still continue to have that material available to paid subscribers.I did not see any NACO notice (www.naco.faa.gov)that US FAA info is going away from free public access. Only DOD material.