Sign in to follow this  
Jack_Sawyer

Moving map on center display

I’ve searched here and in the manuals, maybe I’m using the incorrect terms.  But can anyone tell me real quick how to get the moving map to display while on the ground?  I have Navigraph and the EFB works great.  I’d like to see where I’m taxiing on that map.

Thanks 

Jack Sawyer

30 minutes ago, Jack_Sawyer said:

I’ve searched here and in the manuals, maybe I’m using the incorrect terms.  But can anyone tell me real quick how to get the moving map to display while on the ground?  I have Navigraph and the EFB works great.  I’d like to see where I’m taxiing on that map.

Look over at the EFB. Make sure "MEMO" isn't displayed next to the button at the bottom right. If it does, click on the button and run through the prompts.

Next, set up your flight plan on the RTE page of the CDU. From there, hit the ARPT button above the ND, and then zoom in using the range knob until the airport appears.

• Like 1

Kyle Rodgers

5 minutes ago, scandinavian13 said:

Look over at the EFB. Make sure "MEMO" isn't displayed next to the button at the bottom right. If it does, click on the button and run through the prompts.

Next, set up your flight plan on the RTE page of the CDU. From there, hit the ARPT button above the ND, and then zoom in using the range knob until the airport appears.

Thanks Kyle, I’ll try this when I land.

But is this anywhere in the manuals?

Jack Sawyer

Yes, it's in the manual for the EFB. Not exactly in the same location as the documentation for the aircraft itself. In the PMDG folder, it'll be under EFB, then EFB Documents Library.

• Like 1

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

17 minutes ago, Captain Kevin said:

Yes, it's in the manual for the EFB. Not exactly in the same location as the documentation for the aircraft itself. In the PMDG folder, it'll be under EFB, then EFB Documents Library.

Hi Kevin and thanks but I read it on my iPad and couldn’t find where it says how to show it on the lower screen.  Is this the same document that’s in the EFB itself?  If so can you maybe if you have the time give me a page reference?

I’ve made several flights and really enjoying this plane but I have a LOT to learn such as FUEL TANK/ENG, FUEL IMBALANCE, TO STEP CLB, and VNAV STEP CLIMB EICAS messages.  But I’ll get it eventually.

Jack Sawyer

Jack,

The airport map always displays on the ND display. To bring it to the lower EICAS you have to bring the ND display to the lower EICAS. Use the Display Selector Panel on the glareshield (select LWR CTR => NAV)

• Like 1

Michael Frantzeskakis
Precision Manuals Development Group
http://www.precisionmanuals.com

devteam.jpg

12 minutes ago, mfrantz said:

Jack,

The airport map always displays on the ND display. To bring it to the lower EICAS you have to bring the ND display to the lower EICAS. Use the Display Selector Panel on the glareshield (select LWR CTR => NAV)

Thanks Michael!  I can’t wait to try this as I’m at 39K feet on my way to KMSP right now.  Gosh do I really appreciate all ya’ll’s help!

Jack Sawyer

48 minutes ago, Jack_Sawyer said:

Hi Kevin and thanks but I read it on my iPad and couldn’t find where it says how to show it on the lower screen.  Is this the same document that’s in the EFB itself?  If so can you maybe if you have the time give me a page reference?

Okay, maybe I misunderstood what you were asking since you quoted Kyle. As far as the MEMO screen is concerned, that's in the EFB manual under data load. As for the airport display, I'm seeing it in the FCOM, page 10.40.3.

• Like 1

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

5 minutes ago, Captain Kevin said:

Okay, maybe I misunderstood what you were asking since you quoted Kyle. As far as the MEMO screen is concerned, that's in the EFB manual under data load. As for the airport display, I'm seeing it in the FCOM, page 10.40.3.

I took the manuals from the EFB folder and the others PMDG manuals and placed them on my iPad.  But when I searched through them all I couldn’t find where it said how to put the moving ground map on the ND.  Maybe I used the wrong search term.

Jack Sawyer

3 minutes ago, Jack_Sawyer said:

I took the manuals from the EFB folder and the others PMDG manuals and placed them on my iPad.  But when I searched through them all I couldn’t find where it said how to put the moving ground map on the ND.  Maybe I used the wrong search term.

That's not in the EFB manual, but it is in the FCOM for the Boeing 747-8. It's under Airport Map Display, which is chapter 10, section 40, page 3. Page 10.40.3.

• Like 1

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

3 minutes ago, Captain Kevin said:

That's not in the EFB manual, but it is in the FCOM for the Boeing 747-8. It's under Airport Map Display, which is chapter 10, section 40, page 3. Page 10.40.3.

Most appreciative Kevin!  Thanks and how do you guys actually find this info out of thousands of pages?  You must have photographic memories

Jack Sawyer

5 minutes ago, Jack_Sawyer said:

Most appreciative Kevin!  Thanks and how do you guys actually find this info out of thousands of pages?  You must have photographic memories

I already know that the airport moving map is on the navigation display, so if I open up the FCOM, I pull up the systems description. That gives me 15 chapters to flip through. From a logical standpoint, this would fall under flight instrument display, which is chapter 10. Pop that open, and you'll see 70 sections, plus the table of contents. You could search through the table of contents if you want, but I already know this is pertaining to the navigation display (that IS what ND stands for, after all), which is section 40, so I pull that up. From there, I just scroll through quickly until I find Airport Moving Map. Done.

• Like 2

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

1 minute ago, Captain Kevin said:

I already know that the airport moving map is on the navigation display, so if I open up the FCOM, I pull up the systems description. That gives me 15 chapters to flip through. From a logical standpoint, this would fall under flight instrument display, which is chapter 10. Pop that open, and you'll see 70 sections, plus the table of contents. You could search through the table of contents if you want, but I already know this is pertaining to the navigation display, which is section 40, so I pull that up. From there, I just scroll through quickly until I find Airport Moving Map. Done.

That’s brilliant, you make it sound easy!  I love it, thanks again Kevin.

Jack Sawyer

4 minutes ago, Jack_Sawyer said:

That’s brilliant, you make it sound easy!  I love it, thanks again Kevin.

It actually is easy once you figure it out, and this applies to anything you're looking for. Do keep in mind that I never actually looked at the FCOM for the 747-8 before, so I wouldn't have known off hand where it was. The way it's broken down makes it simple enough to look for.

• Like 1

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

1 minute ago, Captain Kevin said:

It actually is easy once you figure it out, and this applies to anything you're looking for. Do keep in mind that I never actually looked at the FCOM for the 747-8 before, so I wouldn't have known off hand where it was. The way it's broken down makes it simple enough to look for.

Thanks again 

Jack Sawyer