Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

ASCA textures?

I'm looking to get nicer clouds...  I made a post in the screenshot forum titled wild blue yonder and it's using default clouds.

How do people like ASCA?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Oh boy - here we go again - I'm tempted to just say search through Avsim Ryan but you've been around long enough to know that. 😀

I like them and prefer them to what's currently available.

You will now get many opinions in agreement and disagreement. Then we have to bring in the extra's like Envtex and PTA and TomatoShade.

So, since I'm first - ASP4, ASCA & Envtex are my personal favorites. Great looking, very realistic and performance friendly PLUS they were designed to work with ASP4 dynamically.

But it's your eyes that will be looking at them.

Vic

• Like 1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I like it a lot. It's simple and integrates into Active Sky so you don't ever know it's running or even have to open it up. Start your Active Sky and Cloud Art will do it's thing for you. Clouds look really good obviously and look good flying through them.

• Like 2

Is it done yet? When will it be released? Will it be freeware or payware? How much will it cost? Any updates on the progress? Will it work for Xbox? Can I be a beta tester? How's the performance in VR?

1 minute ago, vgbaron said:

You will now get many opinions in agreement and disagreement. Then we have to bring in the extra's like Envtex and PTA and TomatoShade.

Ha! Too funny. I was typing my reply as above, and when I was writing I started to mention "other" options but stopped myself and hit the delete key a few times and said to myself, nah it is not needed and will only start something, I'll just answer the question 😄

Is it done yet? When will it be released? Will it be freeware or payware? How much will it cost? Any updates on the progress? Will it work for Xbox? Can I be a beta tester? How's the performance in VR?

1 minute ago, PWJT8D said:

Ha! Too funny. I was typing my reply as above, and when I was writing I started to mention "other" options but stopped myself and hit the delete key a few times and said to myself, nah it is not needed and will only start something, I'll just answer the question 😄

I was tempted to hide the entire subject as it's been gone over many times but that wouldn't be fair to new people or others who haven't seen prior discussions.

It's just that it is purely an individual opinion. There is no wrong answer.

Vic

• Like 1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Yeah thanks just looking for recent opinions.  Search is always available but outdated usually., and people's opinions change too.

Seems like a no brainer then.  I've played with tomato shade (you might have seen my "inverted russian" post at the ss forums - but I've found that shader mod wrecks sunset time, so I've deleted it for now)

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

36 minutes ago, ryanbatcund said:

I'm looking to get nicer clouds...  I made a post in the screenshot forum titled wild blue yonder and it's using default clouds.

How do people like ASCA?

I use REX soft clouds with kiwi's freeware sky textures & sun mod.

ASP4 & REX SC is what I recommend.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

20 minutes ago, DJJose said:

I use REX soft clouds with kiwi's freeware sky textures & sun mod.

ASP4 & REX SC is what I recommend.

You have a link to those kiwi mods?  I can't find much at the avsim library.  Looks like I actually have a rendition of soft clouds I purchased but when I login with my account I can't see it.  I do have an email with the info though... hmmm

Edited by ryanbatcund

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

Hi Folks,

My sky cocktail of choice for a while now:

• ASP4
  • ASCA for cloud textures.
  • ENVTEX for other textures.
  • ENVSHADE

*** I have REX TD - I don't use it.

Regards,
Scott

• Upvote 1

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

20 minutes ago, ryanbatcund said:

You have a link to those kiwi mods?  I can't find much at the avsim library.  Looks like I actually have a rendition of soft clouds I purchased but when I login with my account I can't see it.  I do have an email with the info though... hmmm

http://www.skyforsim.ga/p3dv4

If you have your REX SC code, just send Reed an email and ask for a link.

9 minutes ago, scottb613 said:

Hi Folks,

My sky cocktail of choice for a while now:

• ASP4
  • ASCA for cloud textures.
  • ENVTEX for other textures.
  • ENVSHADE

*** I have REX TD - I don't use it.

Regards,
Scott

What's your PC specs?  Would my GTX 980 have issues running all that?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

Just now, ryanbatcund said:

What's your PC specs?  Would my GTX 980 have issues running all that?

Hi Ryan,

LOL - I don't think so...

2700K@4.7Ghz GTX970

ENVTEX  has a nice feature where it combines it's custom textures with ASCA...

Personally - I think ASCA always had the best looking clouds even after trying others... 

The inexpensive ENVSHADE looks real good to me as well...

Just my two cents and opinions vary - I'm pretty happy with my setup...

Regards,

Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

11 minutes ago, DJJose said:

http://www.skyforsim.ga/p3dv4

If you have your REX SC code, just send Reed an email and ask for a link.

Found it thanks

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

5 minutes ago, scottb613 said:

Hi Ryan,

LOL - I don't think so...

2700K@4.7Ghz GTX970

ENVTEX  has a nice feature where it combines it's custom textures with ASCA...

Personally - I think ASCA always had the best looking clouds even after trying others... 

The inexpensive ENVSHADE looks real good to me as well...

Just my two cents and opinions vary - I'm pretty happy with my setup...

Regards,

Scott

Alright thanks Scott...  I give ASCA a try - it's supposed to integrate with ASP4 anyway

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

IMO

I think ASCA's biggest weakness is the clouds &  sky textures. Cloud structures are its greatest asset but work best with it's own cloud sets. It's the reason why most users have to buy ENVTEX to get better looking skies, but the clouds do not look very good. This has not changed and probably won't until a new version of ASCA is released.

ENVTEX will be releasing an update and it is supposed to allow you to use ENVTEX clouds with ASCA in dynamic modes.

You might also want to check out REX SkyForce. It works well with ASP4. Right now those two addons are probably the best combo.