Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

ASCA textures?

Yeah I tried Skyforce but it wouldn't install on my PC... Reed was very helpful but I ended with a refund.  I do have the TD w/SC maybe I'll try those too if I don't like ASCA

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

30 minutes ago, scottb613 said:

Hi Folks,

My sky cocktail of choice for a while now:

• ASP4
  • ASCA for cloud textures.
  • ENVTEX for other textures.
  • ENVSHADE

*** I have REX TD - I don't use it.

Regards,
Scott

I use the same setup.  Very happy with it.  The great thing about it also is set and forget.  It takes care of everything depending on conditions.

• Like 2

Matt Wilson

58 minutes ago, mpw8679 said:

I use the same setup.  Very happy with it.  The great thing about it also is set and forget.  It takes care of everything depending on conditions.

Chance you could PM me some screenshots of the best setups?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

12 minutes ago, ryanbatcund said:

Chance you could PM me some screenshots of the best setups?

Do u mean my settings or in sim screenshots?

Matt Wilson

1 hour ago, mikeymike said:

Asca settings?

global automatic or full dynamics ??

which is more suitable?

Full Dynamics and Global Automatic work the same for all but "Cloud Textures".

Specific to Cloud Textures: 
For Full Dynamics, each of the ~400 cloud model variants are specifically associated to explicit cloud texture variants. A generic example: Model variant CumulusHumilis48s3 might be associated to "Satin". There are approximately 8 unique cloud texture variants within all associations including the High Performance Hard and High Performance Soft variants, which are reduced-resolution generic soft/hard variants used for overcast clouds per your Overcast Cloud Resolution setting. In this mode, you can have in theory up to 8 different cloud texture variants visible at once depending on the cloud models used in each of the wx cells used within your visible range.

For Global Automatic, only one cloud texture variant (i.e. Satin) is used at a time for all clouds (thus "Global"), but updates throughout your flight as wx conditions change. It changes when the conditions change. For example you may be in a "Fair Wx" profile at departure, but 10 minutes later are in a "Hazy" profile or perhaps a "Rainy" profile. Any time this changes, AS16 will trigger a change, re-selection of wx influenced items, and re-activation of such items.

The wx influence used for Global Automatic cloud selections and the general "Auto" cirrus and sky color selections is based on many factors, not just METAR (air stability, for one).

The wx influence parameters are changed (if desired) within ASCA settings for Wx Influence, by choosing which profiles should be considered for specific variants.

Sky colors: For the Instinctive1-5 sets, 1 is more hazy/desaturated, while 5 is more clear/vibrant. The idea is that clearer or more unstable atmospheres have a certain visual vibrance enhancements to the sky colors.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

7 hours ago, ryanbatcund said:

Yeah I tried Skyforce but it wouldn't install on my PC...

That's a shame because I prefer SkyForce clouds over ASCA clouds. 😉 But maybe you'd prefer ASCA over SF, no one knows. ASCA is better than default clouds, that's for sure, so things will improve a lot anyway! 😉 I do wonder though why you are using default clouds now and are looking at ASCA while you own TD+SC...? You don't like TD+SC? Or did you buy those but never install them?

I use the following:

ASP4 as weather engine

REXSky Force for cloud textures

ASCA for dynamic skies

REX4 Texture Direct for ground and water textures

For me works perfect and smooth and together with ORBX scenery is my best option.

Best regards.

8 hours ago, vgbaron said:

Full Dynamics and Global Automatic work the same for all but "Cloud Textures".

Specific to Cloud Textures: 
For Full Dynamics, each of the ~400 cloud model variants are specifically associated to explicit cloud texture variants. A generic example: Model variant CumulusHumilis48s3 might be associated to "Satin". There are approximately 8 unique cloud texture variants within all associations including the High Performance Hard and High Performance Soft variants, which are reduced-resolution generic soft/hard variants used for overcast clouds per your Overcast Cloud Resolution setting. In this mode, you can have in theory up to 8 different cloud texture variants visible at once depending on the cloud models used in each of the wx cells used within your visible range.

For Global Automatic, only one cloud texture variant (i.e. Satin) is used at a time for all clouds (thus "Global"), but updates throughout your flight as wx conditions change. It changes when the conditions change. For example you may be in a "Fair Wx" profile at departure, but 10 minutes later are in a "Hazy" profile or perhaps a "Rainy" profile. Any time this changes, AS16 will trigger a change, re-selection of wx influenced items, and re-activation of such items.

The wx influence used for Global Automatic cloud selections and the general "Auto" cirrus and sky color selections is based on many factors, not just METAR (air stability, for one).

The wx influence parameters are changed (if desired) within ASCA settings for Wx Influence, by choosing which profiles should be considered for specific variants.

Sky colors: For the Instinctive1-5 sets, 1 is more hazy/desaturated, while 5 is more clear/vibrant. The idea is that clearer or more unstable atmospheres have a certain visual vibrance enhancements to the sky colors.

Vic

Thank you for the informative answer.

i gather global automatic would have more of an impact on performance?

mike

For me it was negligible.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

51 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

For me it was negligible.

Vic

Me too. Love the Dynamic changes. ASP4+ASCA.

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

22 hours ago, DJJose said:

IMO

I think ASCA's biggest weakness is the clouds &  sky textures. Cloud structures are its greatest asset but work best with it's own cloud sets. It's the reason why most users have to buy ENVTEX to get better looking skies, but the clouds do not look very good. This has not changed and probably won't until a new version of ASCA is released.

ENVTEX will be releasing an update and it is supposed to allow you to use ENVTEX clouds with ASCA in dynamic modes.

You might also want to check out REX SkyForce. It works well with ASP4. Right now those two addons are probably the best combo.

Hi,

So what do you think will improve the look of clouds?  More shading, defined edges, coloring (greys, blues etc).  Looking forward to your input.

Robert

\Robert Hamlich/

29 minutes ago, HUSSAR said:

More shading, defined edges, coloring (greys, blues etc).

All good ideas.

The best way that I can explain it, is that some ASCA clouds look like a paint job instead of the soft (puffy) look that I see with REX SC. ASP4 does a beautiful job of rendering dynamic weather with REX SC. If I had my soft clouds in ASCA along with my kiwi sky textures, I would be ideal for me. ASCA allows easy integration of 3rd party sky textures, but not clouds. It's still an excellent add-on and highly recommended by the community.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Okay, thanks for the feedback.

Robert

\Robert Hamlich/