Sign in to follow this  
reeves_55

CPU Overload

Hi,

My first post so hello, I have recently go back into FSX and bought the SE version. I have a reasonably good PC and over the last month or so I have had a few problems. I had a message that i ran out of memory however I think I have solved this with freeing up some hard drive space. However last night I was making an approach into an airport when I was asked to go around. As I climbed back up to the require altitude the game started to stutter and glitch. This included the video but also the sound. I was wearing a headset however I could hear the CPU fan running really fast. I windowed out of the game and looked at the task manager and the CPU usage was peaking at 100%. I tried to shut down some stuff however it still did not help and I could see in the list that FSX was contributing the most to the CPU load. 

Is this a common issue, is there anything I can do to sort this please. I am considering, not because of this, replacing my HD with a SSD, will this help?

Any ideas would be very welcome.

Thank you

Reeves

4 minutes ago, reeves_55 said:

However last night I was making an approach into an airport when I was asked to go around. As I climbed back up to the require altitude the game started to stutter and glitch. This included the video but also the sound. I was wearing a headset however I could hear the CPU fan running really fast. I windowed out of the game and looked at the task manager and the CPU usage was peaking at 100%. I tried to shut down some stuff however it still did not help and I could see in the list that FSX was contributing the most to the CPU load. 

Most likely you’re settings were too high or you have an issue with the video card drivers and/or settings in them. It’s bit uncommon for the CPU to be at 100% when running FSX though. You might want to check the AVSIM FSX setup guide to see how your settings correspond to what is suggested in the guide.

4 minutes ago, reeves_55 said:

I had a message that i ran out of memory however I think I have solved this with freeing up some hard drive space.

The out of memory area doesn’t correspond to how much space you have available on your hard drive. It means that you ran out of virtual address space. Remember that FSX is a 32 bit program and can’t use more than 4GB of VAS, well actually I think it’s technically like 3.6GB of VAS or something like that. The only way to cure our of memory issues is with lower settings on some features and not loading the sim with a lot of textures larger than 1024x1024 and or 32bit.

• Upvote 1

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Hi thanks for this, can you point me in the direction of the AVSIM FSX Setup guide please, I cannot seem to find it on the site.

Thanks again

Reeves

19 minutes ago, reeves_55 said:

Hi thanks for this, can you point me in the direction of the AVSIM FSX Setup guide please, I cannot seem to find it on the site.

Thanks again

Reeves

Here you go.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator