Sign in to follow this  
Guest JIMJAM

Tongass Fjords

Guest TonyFenton

I just wanted to put in a good word for Tongass Fjords, and also Misty Fjords, the great scenery addons for south east Alaska by Bill Womack and Holger Sandmann for FSaddon.Two weeks ago exactly as I'm writing this I was in a small boat in Sawyer Arm looking at the North and South Glaciers as part of a cruise of the Inside Passage. These add ons have captured that incredible scenery just about perfectly. I've been able to go back to spots I remember clearly and the topography is just spot on. I look at my pictures, and then I look at my flight simulator, and of course I can tell the difference, but the feeling is there, more so than any add-on scenery I've every seen.A huge "Job well done" everyone to involved and thanks for many hours of future enjoyment.

I agree. Both Tongass and Misty Fjords are works of art that go well beyond add-on scenery. I have been exploring Tongass for a couple weeks now and discover a new surprise every day. I think that many believe these add-ons are eye candy only, however, they allow me to use my GA planes in some of the most spectacular terrain with marginal weather. It is great fun to practice instrument approaches necessary to deliver supplies safely. They will keep me very busy before the release of FSX in the fall and well after!Bob...

I will also chime in and say I am enjoying it also. I was tooling around in the Aeroworx B200 and having a great time. I think now I will slow it down and have a look at the scenery in the Cessna 182RG.

I agree that Tongass first of all, then followed by Misty and Vancouver+, are in my opinion the sine qua non of scenery in flight simulator.Supplemented with FS Genesis mesh where needed, ActiveSky, FE and GEPro, these sceneries bring about an immense sense of realism. In the late 80's I had a part time job flying Beavers and 185's out of Prince Rupert into the panhandle and over to the Charlotte's, and sometimes south. These days I get the most incredible sense of deja-vu using these addons that I sometimes start to forget that I am behind a computer and it is 1988 all over again.Vancouver+ is so good at depicting southern BC that I use it as a refresher training aide during planning for my semi regular real life flights to and from Calgary and Vancouver Island. For my personal taste there is nothing, but nothing, in the simulator world to beat crawling along at minimums close to a mountainous shore searching for an elusive and near invisible dirt strip, or a nebulously marked water landing area. Tongass, Misty and Vancouver+ are a bush pilot's world, a world of contact pilotage, airmanship, and critical thinking. I will say however that when I was flying the panhandle, (as well as the high arctic in an even earlier life) that the GPS was a wonder unheard of. I am not so much of a curmudgeon as to eschew the use of GPS's, and indeed in real life I will not fly without one, even in the pattern, but for a real adventure try doing a nice long fjord crawl in Tongass in crummy weather and bad light and you will start to get an appreciation for what a lot of pilots had to put up with every day of their careers.Rick GrantCalgary Alberta

Guest JIMJAM

Its expensive but opens up another little world within Fs9.With FSCargo,some helis and Rwy12 object placer, I have a created a area thats in itself going to keep me busy even after fsx.Runways for larger planes,mid sized and tricky dirt strips for bush planes. Now I have heli landing areas on moutain tops,river beds and on a glacier. Seaplane traffic,cruise liners,coast guard patrols,birds ect ectI was having some fps problems around the big airports so I went to their forums and along with some others voiced our concerns.A few days later I received a email apologising for the problsm I was having.I then was ask to participate in a troubleshooting beta patch to try and increase the fps. Ive NEVER been ask by any developer to help test and fix a problem I was having.When I receive that kind of personal touch,concern and can see the pride a developer has for their product, I do not mind at all sending them my money.