Sign in to follow this  
apollomaker

747-8 Brake Overheat Failure and Settings

Hello All --- others have entered comments about this general issue but I am still struggling. Basically, I cannot turn this failure OFF. It happens with every new flight of the 747-8F I am using. I am trying to get to a starting point of familiarization with the new plane where ALL FAILURES ARE LOCKED OFF UNCONDITIONALLY again as a starting point. Even though when I start a new flight the FMC indicates that no failures are activated, yet this brake/tire problem happens anyway on landing and it happens very easily. (very little braking on landing). 

FWIW, I am not running FSUIPC presently. Any comment there?? 

Some help and comments please!! 🤔  Thanks,  Bob

Im curious on the outcome of this topic ^^ Im afraid you will hear the same as me, we are doing it wrong.... And that our joysticks brake for us.

Well, ive mentioned enough already how many times this never happened for me in the 747-400 but that doesnt seem to matter much too. Also, as far i know (if turned on) there is a red message in the lower left of the display that would tell me if im braking. As soon i hit the brake the message appears. And it NEVER appears here. I have this recorded now in my streams. Last time i had autobrake 2, a landing weight of no 300 tons, i deactivated autobrakes very early and rolled out until the far end, making the turn and pressing the brake exactly one time for a split second. ONE singly time in the whole landing and i got the brakes warning. Never hit it anymore and a bit before the parking the tires popped. From one brake....

Comeon....

Edited by SaenchaySor
  • Like 1

BetaTeamB.png

37 minutes ago, SaenchaySor said:

Im curious on the outcome of this topic ^^ Im afraid you will hear the same as me, we are doing it wrong.... And that our joysticks brake for us.

Well, ive mentioned enough already how many times this never happened for me in the 747-400 but that doesnt seem to matter much too. Also, as far i know (if turned on) there is a red message in the lower left of the display that would tell me if im braking. As soon i hit the brake the message appears. And it NEVER appears here. I have this recorded now in my streams. Last time i had autobrake 2, a landing weight of no 300 tons, i deactivated autobrakes very early and rolled out until the far end, making the turn and pressing the brake exactly one time for a split second. ONE singly time in the whole landing and i got the brakes warning. Never hit it anymore and a bit before the parking the tires popped. From one brake....

Comeon....

The brake message does not appear because we do not use the sim braking system. We are using a custom brake system.

Chris Makris

PLEASE NOTE PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at http://forum.pmdg.com

Yup, I'm getting the same problem.  I basically end up taxiing without brakes.  Brake settings are common to both my PMDG 747-700 and the -8 via FSUIPC and I do not have this problem with the 400 so imho it would appear to be software related.

Lon Duncombe

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments so far. But so far, that is it --- no answers/resolutions. 

Hopefully this will be examined by PMDG and we will have a fix. This should not be this difficult. 😀

I still cannot "TURN OFF" this problem in the FMC failures section even though when I take off the FMC says all failures are "NO" or "OFF". The tires/brakes still fail and VERY EASILY. 

Oh well, the message is out there --- hoping for some resolution.

Regards.  😁

I don't know guys... I really wish you'd be open to constructive advice rather than holding firm on the notion that the problem is with the simulation.

I've got dozens of sessions with the B748 during months of testing and the only time I've had braking problems is in early testing when we were seeing premature disabling of autobraking.  That problem was fixed.

i am using Saitek pedals axis assigned in P3Dv4.3, not using FSUIPC for any axis.  The solution might be as simple as allowing autobrake to slow you down to 40 kts and then LIGHTLY brake as required to exit the active.  Convince yourselves:  Land only using autobrake to a full stop.  Check brake termps.  Now land again using autobrake to 40 kts, pause and check the brake temps, unpause and brake your normal way of braking..... how are you doing?

Dan Downs KCRP

FWIW I haven't had this problem. With update for FSX:SE I have taxied by getting up to speed and let speed slowly degrade - add some power to get back up to where I want. Braked only on approaching the runway after letting it slow. On landing used Autobrake 2 and briefly manually braked near exit when speed was maybe 40-50. No problems taxiing to gate. I'm not sure this is the right way to handle the aircraft but at least I haven't had the brake problem. I believe the brake temp showed 1.5. (To me it's kind of like driving a big truck -- have to anticipate when and where to brake by letting off the accelerator.) I don't have rudder pedals.

Jim Erwin 

1 hour ago, downscc said:

I don't know guys... I really wish you'd be open to constructive advice rather than holding firm on the notion that the problem is with the simulation.

I've got dozens of sessions with the B748 during months of testing and the only time I've had braking problems is in early testing when we were seeing premature disabling of autobraking.  That problem was fixed.

i am using Saitek pedals axis assigned in P3Dv4.3, not using FSUIPC for any axis.  The solution might be as simple as allowing autobrake to slow you down to 40 kts and then LIGHTLY brake as required to exit the active.  Convince yourselves:  Land only using autobrake to a full stop.  Check brake termps.  Now land again using autobrake to 40 kts, pause and check the brake temps, unpause and brake your normal way of braking..... how are you doing?

Hi Dan -- I am going to try your suggestions and see what happens. But, this does not answer my problems in that when my failures for braking/tires are set OFF, they still activate. We should be able to have all failures shut off GLOBALLY. And they should stay off. That is my big problem. Any ideas appreciated. 

Thanks --- !!!

EDIT: Hi again Dan -- well I did drop back and again go through normal procedures for using the autobrake system and that does indeed work OK --- am going to experiment and test it further. Still have the issue of shutting down failure modes but we will get there  --- Thanks again.

Edited by apollomaker
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, downscc said:

I have to agree with Dan on this particular issue. I experienced this after aggressive braking due to not setting autobrakes to the appropriate level.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

3 hours ago, apollomaker said:

But, this does not answer my problems in that when my failures for braking/tires are set OFF, they still activate.

A brake failure would be a brake that failed to operate.  You brakes are operating as intended.  They are overheating, not due to failure but due to use.

Dan Downs KCRP

Wish there was just a simply way to turn off this feature. Even with it off in the FMC it still happens. 

Dan

i9-13900K / Asus Maximus Hero Z790 / RTX 4090 FE / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB DDR5-6400 CL32 / Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / EVGA 1000W G3, 80+ Gold / Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower / Arctic P14 PWM Case Fans / LG C2 42 Inch Class 4K OLED TV/Monitor / Windows 11 Pro

2 minutes ago, Wise87 said:

Wish there was just a simply way to turn off this feature. Even with it off in the FMC it still happens. 

Don't abuse the brakes.

Dan Downs KCRP

23 minutes ago, downscc said:

Don't abuse the brakes.

Trust me when I say many of us are trying not too. It's gotten to the point were I don't even want to use them if I can avoid it. 

Dan

i9-13900K / Asus Maximus Hero Z790 / RTX 4090 FE / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB DDR5-6400 CL32 / Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / EVGA 1000W G3, 80+ Gold / Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower / Arctic P14 PWM Case Fans / LG C2 42 Inch Class 4K OLED TV/Monitor / Windows 11 Pro

22 minutes ago, Wise87 said:

Trust me when I say many of us are trying not too. It's gotten to the point were I don't even want to use them if I can avoid it. 

It would be helpful if you explained how you are using the brakes.  What is your landing weight, what is your autobrake setting, when do you manually apply braking (at what speed)?  Estimate how many  seconds you decelerate while manually braking and to what speed do you slow to before coming off the brakes?

Edited by downscc

Dan Downs KCRP