Sign in to follow this  
IG00581

Loading terrain data stuck at 6%

Hello, so I have came across a problem lately within P3D v4.3 at random times I will launch P3D and a popup will appear on the splash screen and it will go to 6% loading terrain data and will not move from there, the only solution I have found is to let P3D build a new Prepar3D.cfg file but It is really annoying how every time it does this I need to fix all settings etc again, I am wondering if there is an alternative solution to solving this. 

Thanks

This is normal.  Be patient and let the sim load.  Sometimes I have to wait 3 minutes or more.  It will eventually load.  If you want it to load faster, go to the Documents/Prepar3DV4 Addon Folder and move all of the contents to a temp folder.  Load the scenario again and it will be much faster.

If you want to find out the culprit scenery that is taking 'years' to load, then move one of the XML files in the temp folder back over to the P3DV4 addon folder.  Reload and see if it is stuck at 6% again.

If you have a lot of photoscenery like Orbx/FTX stuff, then that will take a long time.  Megascenery will too if there is a lot of it loaded.  One time in FSX, I had 40 MSE States activated at one time and it took a long time for me to get to the setup screen.  Once I started loading the scenario, I waited over 20 minutes but could only hear the HDD thrashing.  I shut it down and only loaded the photoscenery I needed for the scenario.  Remember, photoscenery that is activated will load even if you are in Europe and the photoscenery is in California.

• Like 3

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

On 10/2/2018 at 7:37 PM, Jim Young said:

This is normal.  Be patient and let the sim load.  Sometimes I have to wait 3 minutes or more.  It will eventually load.  If you want it to load faster, go to the Documents/Prepar3DV4 Addon Folder and move all of the contents to a temp folder.  Load the scenario again and it will be much faster.

If you want to find out the culprit scenery that is taking 'years' to load, then move one of the XML files in the temp folder back over to the P3DV4 addon folder.  Reload and see if it is stuck at 6% again.

If you have a lot of photoscenery like Orbx/FTX stuff, then that will take a long time.  Megascenery will too if there is a lot of it loaded.  One time in FSX, I had 40 MSE States activated at one time and it took a long time for me to get to the setup screen.  Once I started loading the scenario, I waited over 20 minutes but could only hear the HDD thrashing.  I shut it down and only loaded the photoscenery I needed for the scenario.  Remember, photoscenery that is activated will load even if you are in Europe and the photoscenery is in California.

Hi Jim, first of all thank you for the reply I have tried removing all scenery this is when I am first opening the Prepar3D.exe this is happening. 

Thanks

24 minutes ago, IG00581 said:

https://gyazo.com/b957325d81436a46e4ecc77ec30e20f1 It just done it again all scenery removed no addon scenery on in the Config

Have no clue.  I get stuck at 6% too but it eventually loads everything.  Hope you can figure it out.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

If someone has tons of scenery and AI, the loading can hang at around 6%. Normal. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Mine hangs at six percent due to the photoscenery I have which covers most of the western states.  Once P3DV4.3 eventually starts, operation is then normal.  The good news is if I quit my session but restart it later, P3D loads much faster, about twice as fast, until I reboot the PC again.

John

• Like 1

Thats been that way since FSX for me. Just kick back and wait.

:P Timothy Murphy

15 hours ago, t4murphy said:

Thats been that way since FSX for me. Just kick back and wait.

I have left in for up to 1 hour

Could you check your scenery.cfg file and see if the "Default Terrain" file is listed on your cfg file at the very first level and if it is ACTIVE? It does happened exceptionally that when uninstalling some scenery add-ons this Default Terrain file is deleted by mistake.

Edited by Jean-Claude

On 10/4/2018 at 5:29 PM, Jean-Claude said:

Could you check your scenery.cfg file and see if the "Default Terrain" file is listed on your cfg file at the very first level and if it is ACTIVE? It does happened exceptionally that when uninstalling some scenery add-ons this Default Terrain file is deleted by mistake.

Hi Jean, thanks I sorted the problem.

1 hour ago, IG00581 said:

Hi Jean, thanks I sorted the problem.

please tell us how - 

• Upvote 1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Don't u just love this type of scenario? I always get a chuckle at these moments.

Edited by jimcarrel

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

Gents - some months have elapsed but I would like to tell you, I exactly got the same problem yesterday - P3D stucks after loading at 6 %. So in my case, I would like to tell you, how it was solved:

I downloaded and installed a imaging programme called "ACRONIS True Image" to save my flightsim for use on another PC shortly.

That been done, the programme installed several minor features and also a small kind of protection programme. This short programme called "Acronis Active Protection"  After I disabled it, my sim starts fine again.

MAKE SURE YOU CHECK YOUR ANTI VIRUS SOFTWARE  IN CASE OF ISSUES FOR UPDATES (SOME ARE FINE, BUT SOME MAY AFFECT YOUR PROGRAMMES BY TOO MASSIVE PROTECTING BEHAVIOUR).

Hope this helps.

Edited by Manschy
  • Upvote 2

On 1/12/2019 at 5:43 AM, Manschy said:

Gents - some months have elapsed but I would like to tell you, I exactly got the same problem yesterday - P3D stucks after loading at 6 %. So in my case, I would like to tell you, how it was solved:

I downloaded and installed a imaging programme called "ACRONIS True Image" to save my flightsim for use on another PC shortly.

That been done, the programme installed several minor features and also a small kind of protection programme. This short programme called "Acronis Active Protection"  After I disabled it, my sim starts fine again.

MAKE SURE YOU CHECK YOUR ANTI VIRUS SOFTWARE  IN CASE OF ISSUES FOR UPDATES (SOME ARE FINE, BUT SOME MAY AFFECT YOUR PROGRAMMES BY TOO MASSIVE PROTECTING BEHAVIOUR).

Hope this helps.

This was my issue, disabled Acronis True Image's Active Protection fixed it immediately, I was stuck at 6%, disabled Active Protection and the load starting climbing and completed within a few seconds.  

Maybe this is related to another issue I had which was when Navigation > Go to Airport.... I would get a pop up saying Prepar3D cannot run because it could not write Prepar3D.cfg.  Perhaps disabling Active Protection would fix this too.

Edited by jcmygod