Sign in to follow this  
IG00581

Loading terrain data stuck at 6%

While no doubt many people will find a mittigating reason for the issue in their particular case, the actual 6% loading delay issue is due to a flaw in the code that has always existed from back in the FSX codebase

What apparently happens @ the 6% mark is P3D will begin checking scenery components against library objects and it will check all components against all libraries.

So for example if you have Orbx scenery you'll also have the quite large Orbx library and the checks P3D performs (performed whether needed or not) will result in hundreds of thousands of code calls dramatically slowing down the loading.

You can test this in action by unselecting all library objects in the scenery config where with no libraries to check against, the loading will be much faster (but of course things will be missing due to no library objects).

Note this applies to all scenery and all libraries and is nothing in particular to do with Orbx and has mostly come about due to the highly detailed sceneries being produced using custom library objects.

Essentually as P3D and it's capabilites have evolved, so to have the addins we run with the result being previously minor annoyances have evolved to needing resolution.

The good thing is we have Orbx to thank for getting onto LM, who have advised they will be including a fix for the issue in P3D version 4.5.

So moving forward everyone wins, and the 6% loading wait point prob is resolved.

In the meatime I can recommend an M2 drive (such as this one https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/memory-storage/solid-state-drives/ssd-970-pro-nvme-m2-1tb-mz-v7p1t0bw/ ) as their perfomance it truely a sixer with the loading speed improvements they provide.

And it you want to read more about the issue jump on over to the the Orbx forum, login and there are various threads discussing such in the P3D support areas.

Cheers

Edited by Rogen
Fix URL

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

14 hours ago, Rogen said:

In the meatime I can recommend an M2 drive (such as this one https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/memory-storage/solid-state-drives/ssd-970-pro-nvme-m2-1tb-mz-v7p1t0bw/ ) as their perfomance it truely a sixer with the loading speed improvements they provide.

Does M2 really makes a difference for load time?  I as assuming we are discussing M.2 with PCIe interface.

I did Youtube reviews before my recent new computer build and found benchmarks might show M.2 are faster then SSD but load tests of boot and program load times are only a few % faster, thus for me was not worth the near 2x in cost.

What delta do you see in P3D load times with M.2 vs SSD or HD?

Hi jcmygod,

Well, there are M2s that are the same speed as SSD and then there are M2 that run at PCI speeds. The one I run is @ PCI speeds and it is very fast, much faster than my SSD drives (and I run 2 x 1Tb drives as a striped raid array for speed).

While I haven't actually timed load speeds, my anecdotal observation is that it feels much faster and I do load ~345 GB of data plus another ~153 GB of Orbx data off the M2.

I do have P3D v3 installed on the SSD drives, I'll see how long it takes to load up an Orbx location compared to P3D v4 which is located on the M2 and post back.

Cheers

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

Hi Manschy

Thank you for sharing. I had the very same issue and didn't find the clue (up to the time I read your post) . . .

Now, after having disabled Acronis True Image's Active Protection everything is working normal again.

Cheers

Edited by furger

Andreas Furger

8 hours ago, Rogen said:

While I haven't actually timed load speeds, my anecdotal observation is that it feels much faster and I do load ~345 GB of data plus another ~153 GB of Orbx data off the M2.

I have just bought a 2TB Samsung 970, I am hoping it might help with stutters and terrain loading issues.

Hardware: i9 9900k@ 5Ghz  |  RTX 2080 TI  |  AORUS MASTER  |  58" Panasonic TV

Software: P3Dv4.4  |  AS  |   Orbx LC/TE Southern England  |  Tomatoshade  |  737 NGX | AS A319 | PMDG 747 | TFDI 717 | MJC8 Q400

I don't know if this helps, but after having start up problems in P3D V4, I moved my start up location to a very low key airport, NOT in an ORBX region which take forever to load, and, with a very low key airplane. I rarely have start up issues now. This way the sim gets loaded and set up relatively easily. Then I can move to where I want to be. Because I live on the West coast of the US, I use Ensenada Mexico as my start up so I'm in the same time zone....just a thought.

• Like 1

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090