Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

DCS World on Pimax 8K & 5K+ with GTX 1080Ti

A look at performance by SweViver

• Upvote 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

He posted another video suggesting that the 5K+ is the better buy because counter intuitively the panels seem to produce a higher definition image! I watched the video and it's obviously the case the 5K+ produces the better image. Looks like Pimax really screwed up there!

Yup, I posted that one too. If I was going for one of these, I think the 5K would be the most practical.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Hmmm. really really interesting. Thx guys!

NLR Motion Platform V3, Intel Core i9-9900K OC @ 5Ghz, Gigabyte Gaming OC 11GB RTX 2080ti, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra. Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing LED RGB 360. Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3000 PC4-24000 32GB 4x8GB CL15. Lexar Professional NM700 M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3x4 NVMe 1TB SSD. Toughpower iRGB Plus 80 Plus Platinum 850W Full Modular. Thermaltake View32 TG USB 3.0 RGB. Oculus Rift S. Qled Samsung 65Q7FN.

After seeing these videos, why would any one want the 8k version?

Wait for the 8kX, maybe that will be truly better than the 5k.

8 minutes ago, GHarrall said:

Hahahahahah!!!! 😈

I agree though. The reviewers and backers are putting a good face on it, but it's clear that you should probably be using a 20-series card at least, when trying to run these HMD's

Devons rig

VR is clearly the future for flight sims. I was considering getting a large 4k monitor and a 1080ti or a 2080 to power it but I think my current setup will do until the full VR experience is a reality. I had a rift for a while and whilst the immersion factor was great, the inability to actually read displays or make out an enemy fighter in DCS was just too limiting. Wont be long though........

20 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

Hahahahahah!!!! 😈

I agree though. The reviewers and backers are putting a good face on it, but it's clear that you should probably be using a 20-series card at least, when trying to run these HMD's

Lol, sorry!

Hi guys, 

I'm a P3D FS Labs A320 user and I'd like to have a crack at DCS also, but I've got a question if anyone could elaborate. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of good info out there on the Pimax with P3D and DCS as yet at notwithstanding what SWEVIVER has put out and to be honest a lot of that is well beyond my understanding.

I've been happily plugging away at P3D with a standard 1080p monitor but I've been looking to get the VR side of things going for a while and it looks like now is possibly just about the right time to pull the trigger.

I'm currently operating a i7700k Processor with a GTX1070 GPU. (4.6GHz) The CPU is NOT overclocked and I would like to avoid doing so if that might be possible.

Am I correct in assuming that I could get the Pimax 5k+ going well provided I upgrade the GPU to a 1080ti 11G card to match or am I going to have issues with the processor. 

Cheers, Aidan

39 minutes ago, aidanlegras said:

Am I correct in assuming that I could get the Pimax 5k+ going well provided I upgrade the GPU to a 1080ti 11G card to match or am I going to have issues with the processor. 

The thing about the pimax is that it demands a LOT from the video card, and to be honest, I'm not sure even a 2080 ti has enough oomph to push enough pixels fast enough to keep the Pinax 5k's and above fed at its highest settings.

I think it's going to be a learning experience for all, and that the Pimax may be a bit ahead of its time.

Ymmv

Devons rig

Thanks HiFlyer, 

Thanks for the response. I get the impression from what Sweviver says that in fact it’s pretty good now it fact albeit not perfect because the support hardware is some way off its full utilisation. 

I was hoping some other may have received there 5k+ by this stage so perhaps they might have been able to back up what Sweviver was saying but it looks a bit soon for that. 

I’ll check in a few weeks when a few others have had a chance to look  

Thanks again.