Sign in to follow this  
Birdovous

Setting Speed Brake lever position via FSUIPC

I'm trying to map a three way switch on my throttle quadrant to set Speed Brake lever to Down (switch UP position), Armed (switch MID position) and Flight Detent (switch DOWN position) via FSUIPC and offsets from the SDK file that comes with the 747.

For all other functions I tried so far it worked without any problems, but now, the speed brake lever setting simply does not work.

I'm trying the following offsets:

#define EVT_CONTROL_STAND_SPEED_BRAKE_LEVER_DOWN		(THIRD_PARTY_EVENT_ID_MIN + 990)
#define EVT_CONTROL_STAND_SPEED_BRAKE_LEVER_ARM			(THIRD_PARTY_EVENT_ID_MIN + 991)
#define EVT_CONTROL_STAND_SPEED_BRAKE_LEVER_FLT_DET		(THIRD_PARTY_EVENT_ID_MIN + 992)

So in the FSUIPC I have a profile specific button action defined to send value of 1 to the offset 70622 (69632 + 990) when the switch is flipped to the UP position. Then I'm setting offset 70623 (69632 + 991) to 1 when the button is released (switch in MID position) and when the switch is flipped to the DOWN position I'm sending value of 1 to the offset 70624 (69632 + 992) and again when the button is released - which means that the switch is returned back to the middle position I'm again setting offset 70623 to 1.

When I check the log of the FSUIPC it shows that the values are sent to the above mentioned offsets and when I use the same method for other buttons and switches it works just fine.

I tried the same in the NGX where the offsets in the SDK look slightly different but in general, the result is the same with one slight difference. In the NGX when I map the offsets using the FSUIPC and then start flipping the switch on the joystick the speed brake lever does not move. However, whenever I flip the switch, the mouse cursor changes from an normal arrow to a hand as it does when you hover it over the speed brake lever click-spots. But that is about it...

Can anyone please confirm, that what I'm doing is actually correct, or is what I am trying to do not possible?

Also I do not have any axis mapped to spoilers either in the P3D or FSUIPC.

Thank you 🙂

I used to have it mapped to an axis as it gives you more range when using spoilers mid descend.

Just now, ph-cxz said:

I used to have it mapped to an axis as it gives you more range when using spoilers mid descend.

Well, yeah... that would probably be a solution... If I had a spare axis 😉

Without one, I'm just trying (and in this particular case also failing) to make the most of what I have. 🙂

So I tried a different approach, which may not be ideal, but it actually does what I want and enables me to control the speed rake lever using a three-way switch using FSUIPC.

Since I failed with the SDK offsets I mapped the two buttons the three way switch controls to the "Axis Spoilers Set" FS Control via the FSUIPC in the following way (perhaps it may save someone some time in case they would like to achieve the same):

Switch UP (speed brake lever fully down (on button 1 pressed)):
 Action: Axis Spoilers Set
 Value: -16380

Switch MID (speed brake lever in ARMED position) (on button 1 and 2 released)):
 Value: -12000

Switch DOWN (speed brake lever in FLIGHT DETENT position (on button 2 pressed)):
 Value: 2500

Not ideal, but seems to get the job done.

The spoiler axis is not mapped to any axis in P3D or FSUIPC and in FSUIPC it is set to "Not Processed" under the Joystick Calibration tab.

I have it mapped to the FLAPS switch on the Thrustmaster Warthog throttle.

Of course if anyone has a better idea/way to do this then please share 🙂

7 hours ago, Birdovous said:

I have it mapped to the FLAPS switch on the Thrustmaster Warthog throttle.

Why don't you use the slider on the Warthog throttle??  I use that slider for speedbrakes in the jets and propeller control in the DC6.

What are you using the slider control for?

Dan Downs KCRP

4 hours ago, downscc said:

Why don't you use the slider on the Warthog throttle??  I use that slider for speedbrakes in the jets and propeller control in the DC6.

What are you using the slider control for?

Right now for zoom control.

Just now, Birdovous said:

Right now for zoom control.

I would think those would be better used for buttons unless you're using something where a slider in a certain position sets the zoom.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

I use the trackball (or mouse if you use one) for pan/tilt/zoom.  Actually, I prefer to use the keyboard - = keys for zoom.. much easier.

I highly recommend putting that slider to better use.  You have a limited number of analog axis available.

Dan Downs KCRP

1 minute ago, Captain Kevin said:

I would think those would be better used for buttons unless you're using something where a slider in a certain position sets the zoom.

I like the fine control over the zoom level that can be achieved with the slider instead of just zoom steps with buttons. I know... I'm odd 😉

4 minutes ago, downscc said:

I use the trackball (or mouse if you use one) for pan/tilt/zoom.  Actually, I prefer to use the keyboard - = keys for zoom.. much easier.

I highly recommend putting that slider to better use.  You have a limited number of analog axis available.

Well... I also have the Saitek Pro Flight Yoke with two throttle quadrant modules... So in theory that gives me 6 analog axis exactly for 4 engines, speed brake and flaps... But at the same time I would be missing all the buttons and switches that are on the Warthog... dilemma... 🙂