Sign in to follow this  
birdguy

The Airplane That Won Die...

Betty came home from the doctor's office yesterday with a magazine that had an article titled '100 is the new 80' alluding to the fact that there are over 75,000 Americans 100 years old or older.  That compares to 80years old just a few decades ago.

As a life member of The Air Force Association I get Air Force Magazine every month.  The General Electric ad on the back really struck me.

TIMELESS WARRIOR

Time to re-engine

Battle tested during more than 60 years of service, the B-52 fleet has earned a re-engining to sustain it's service well into the future.

This critical mission needs the company that can deliver proven performance and flawless system integration.

Trust GE to do it right.  We're the only ones who have done it for the Air Force three times before.

Pilots have flown the airplane their father's flew.  Now pilots will be flying the airplane their grandfathers flew.

80 is the new 60 indeed!

Noel

• Like 2

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

Buff's probably gonna outlive me and/or most of us!  Very few, if any, modern aircraft can do what it does or as well as it does.  Now if we could only have Slim Pickins ride that bomb again, all would be well.:rolleyes:

giphy.gif

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

51 minutes ago, birdguy said:

Betty came home from the doctor's office yesterday with a magazine that had an article titled '100 is the new 80' alluding to the fact that there are over 75,000 Americans 100 years old or older.  That compares to 80years old just a few decades ago.

As a life member of The Air Force Association I get Air Force Magazine every month.  The General Electric ad on the back really struck me.

TIMELESS WARRIOR

Time to re-engine

Battle tested during more than 60 years of service, the B-52 fleet has earned a re-engining to sustain it's service well into the future.

This critical mission needs the company that can deliver proven performance and flawless system integration.

Trust GE to do it right.  We're the only ones who have done it for the Air Force three times before.

Pilots have flown the airplane their father's flew.  Now pilots will be flying the airplane their grandfathers flew.

80 is the new 60 indeed!

Noel

Thank you for your service Noel and thanks to all the BUFFs and crew who have defended our nation for so long.

Edited by Wink207

I used to remember watching the B52's fly over Napa during the Vietnam war, so quite up high, but with my telescope I could see the aircraft well.  Visited Guam once, what I remember is how dominating the airport/air base was over the island.  My father was also stationed briefly in Guam at the end of WWII before joining the occupation forces in Japan, which I also visited the same week I visited Guam.  The B52 is a sturdy aircraft although the B1B was my favorite aircraft, along with the F111 and B58 hustler.  On the fighter plane side I loved the F16 and A10, as well as the P38 and P51.  Says a lot that the B52 can be retrofitted with newer, more efficient engines.  GE has been a great provider for the military and civilian sector over decades and decades and having flown GE equipped aircraft one appreciates the safety and efficiency of their engines.

John

49 minutes ago, Cactus521 said:

I used to remember watching the B52's fly over Napa during the Vietnam war, so quite up high, but with my telescope I could see the aircraft well.  Visited Guam once, what I remember is how dominating the airport/air base was over the island.  My father was also stationed briefly in Guam at the end of WWII before joining the occupation forces in Japan, which I also visited the same week I visited Guam.  The B52 is a sturdy aircraft although the B1B was my favorite aircraft, along with the F111 and B58 hustler.  On the fighter plane side I loved the F16 and A10, as well as the P38 and P51.  Says a lot that the B52 can be retrofitted with newer, more efficient engines.  GE has been a great provider for the military and civilian sector over decades and decades and having flown GE equipped aircraft one appreciates the safety and efficiency of their engines.

John

I love the Warthog. The only warbird I was ever tempted to add to my fSX hanger.

The C130 is another great example. Does everything from Air Evac to delivering stale beer to the troops.

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

1 hour ago, shivers9 said:

The C130 is another great example. Does everything from Air Evac to delivering stale beer to the troops.

Though the "J" model is really a pretty up-to-date aircraft.   The coasties here at Air Station Barbers Point still fly the HC-130H.  We have a KC-135R squadron here at Hickam and that one is getting a bit long in the tooth as well.

scott s.

1 hour ago, scott967 said:

Though the "J" model is really a pretty up-to-date aircraft.   The coasties here at Air Station Barbers Point still fly the HC-130H.  We have a KC-135R squadron here at Hickam and that one is getting a bit long in the tooth as well.

scott s.

That brings back memories. Was at Hickam in the 70's for 4 years. LOL that was so long ago we may have had cloth covered wings on the planes.😀

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

The B-52 predates the C-130 by only 2 years.  B-52 first flight 1952.  C-130 first flight 1954.  Does anyone remember the 4 Horseman?  It was a C-130 flight demonstration like the Thunderbirds, but mostly flying around switching to different formations.  I saw them once at the same time I saw the Colorado Air National Guard flight demonstration team flying F-86s.  They called themselves The Minutemen.

When I joined the Colorado Air Guard in the early 90s one of the Minutemen F-86s was a static display at the main gate of Buckley ANG Base in Denver (Aurora).  I found out it was the same plane General France, the wing commander flew.  My CO brought me to headquarters to meet General France.  It was a perfunctory handshake with a new guard member until told him I saw him fly that F-86 at the main gate with the Minutemen when I was a young airman stationed at Selfridge AFB in the early 60s.  He said, "Pull up a chair."  I did and we talked about our careers for a time and when we left my commander said, "You just made a friend."  Whenever we would meet on base or in a hallway he would stop and ask me how I was doing.

Noel

• Like 1

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

The B-52 never ceases to amaze, the other old workhorse I love are the Seaking's, their numbers now reducing but they are very much a proven workhorse time and time again.

• Like 1

Matthew Kane

It's pretty amazing to see the B-52 is expecting to still be in service into the 2050's, yet the much newer and more advanced B-1 and B-2 are expected to be retired from service in the 2030's.  The B-52, C-130, and A-10 were purpose built and well designed and well built for those purposes.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

9 hours ago, stans said:

It's pretty amazing to see the B-52 is expecting to still be in service into the 2050's, yet the much newer and more advanced B-1 and B-2 are expected to be retired from service in the 2030's.  The B-52, C-130, and A-10 were purpose built and well designed and well built for those purposes.

And not an original piece or part aboard.....

15 minutes ago, Wink207 said:

And not an original piece or part aboard.....

My Grandfather's axe was the same, he told me he had it for over 60 years, every so often the handle gets worn down so he replaced that a number of times, and on 2 occasions he replaced the head on it, but he says it is the same axe he has owned for over 60 years  😄

• Like 1

Matthew Kane

1 hour ago, Matthew Kane said:

My Grandfather's axe was the same, he told me he had it for over 60 years, every so often the handle gets worn down so he replaced that a number of times, and on 2 occasions he replaced the head on it, but he says it is the same axe he has owned for over 60 years  😄

It's all about one's point of view. The veteran aviators who flew the BUF back in the day reminisce about how the aircraft performed so well, and are still performing. The young Lt copilot today is thinking about all the fresh new parts and structure enabling him to be safe.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Matthew Kane said:

😂 - UK members will be familiar with Trigger's Broom.

• Upvote 1