Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

Why the World is Running Out of Pilots

Ughhh..... 🤕

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

hiflyer,

I do not know where you dragged this video from but the perpetrator is very much preaching to a knowledgable and converted audience.

I am very sure there is a message there somewhere but drawing a line from Dubai to Sydney and following it up with an aircraft landing at an unknown airport, does not really tell me why there is a pilot shortage. I have to admit that I have very little knowledge in this area but this video told me three fifths of sweet F. All.

I am not criticising you in any way shape or form but it just seemed to me, to be entirely nonsensical to the unwashed  and word not allowed hordes out in the real world(me included). I would have thought that if support is what he was chasing, then a little more information which related to the images might have been a little more helpful. I also feel that most of the world is aware of the pilot shortage and I was actually eager to get some more information about it with this video. Unfortunately, that simply did not happen.

Did anyone else find this baffling??

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

14 minutes ago, himmelhorse said:

I do not know where you dragged this video from

Youtube? 😃

15 minutes ago, himmelhorse said:

I also feel that most of the world is aware of the pilot shortage

Why would you think that? I would think that the vast majority have no idea, especially of pilots salaries in various countries, the requirements for working for a commercial airline, and all sorts of information that while known to me as a "general" subject, was lacking in details that the video provided, such as hours worked, how those hours were counted and lots of other information I had only a vague knowledge of.

Not everyone, and certainly not the general public would be aware of much of this information, and I hope there are at least a few out there that found the video as interesting as I did.

• Upvote 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Devon,

I think and said that because of media coverage. For instance QANTAS mentions it frequently. I do not know about the media in UK or the US nor indeed America. I have seen it in print and on News coverage at least four times but no information in depth, which is why the video caught my attention in the first place.

Also I never said it was not interesting ... I just found it baffling in that I could not relate to information like Fuel usage in relation to pilot shortages. A lot of it just did not make sense.

Hold the boat guys....I initially played the video on my laptop and all I got was music with no voice at all. I have however just replayed it on another computer to re check an item and "found the Voice"  So I retract all and I mean ALL I said and will re look at the video. 

I apologise unreservedly for my inadvertant stuff up.

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

The one main reason I grasped for the pilot shortage is the refusal to invest in a 300K education and only getting a 30K salary - and only getting paid for when you're in the air. That's a bit too much to sacrifice.

• Upvote 4

Mario Di Lauro

Devon,

Just as an aside, have a look at the video without sound and I think you will understand where I came from in my original statements.

Regards

Tony

• Like 1

Tony Chilcott.

The world will never be short of a pilot so long as Ace Rimmer is around!

• Like 2

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

12 minutes ago, tamsini said:

The one main reason I grasped for the pilot shortage is the refusal to invest in a 300K education and only getting a 30K salary - and only getting paid for when you're in the air. That's a bit too much to sacrifice.

That’s certainly part of it. A friend of mine didn’t spend that much but around $100,000 at an aviation school in Tulsa. First airline gig he got was flying the ATR-72 or SAAB 340 for  American Eagle. Started out making around $32,000. He had to get a roommate to split rent to make ends meet. He always joked about the FA’s getting paid more than him.

The US military also has or is going to have pilot shortages as well. That’s not surprising as hard as it used to be to get a pilot slot in the US military. When I was in college I was in the UASF ROTC. When I was getting ready to do the last two years known as the POC, you’ll be required to serve at least 4 years after graduation. The problem I had at the time is that I had corrected vision, which made it really hard to get a waiver for a pilot slot. I decided not to take a chance getting stuck in the air force for 4 years and didn’t do the POC.

Either way, if you try to get free flight training in the military you have to not only be a top student, but also and almost perfect physical specimen. If you go the civilian route it will cost you a ton of money that will take a while to recoup based on low salaries.

• Like 1

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

39 minutes ago, himmelhorse said:

Devon,

Just as an aside, have a look at the video without sound and I think you will understand where I came from in my original statements.

Regards

Tony

No harm, no fowl. 🙂

Devons rig

'Cause so many of us are instead so captivated with simulators!  LOL!

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

36 minutes ago, cmpbellsjc said:

The US military also has or is going to have pilot shortages as well. That’s not surprising as hard as it used to be to get a pilot slot in the US military. When I was in college I was in the UASF ROTC. When I was getting ready to do the last two years known as the POC, you’ll be required to serve at least 4 years after graduation. The problem I had at the time is that I had corrected vision, which made it really hard to get a waiver for a pilot slot. I decided not to take a chance getting stuck in the air force for 4 years and didn’t do the POC. 

When my low draft number of 70 captured me in 1970, I investigated my enlistment and commissioning options.  I had four years of college under my belt, but had exhausted my one year of waiver ability after transferring from one state's institution to another state's institution. Some of my education hours transferred as electives, so I had fallen behind on degree requirements, as defined.  I would have loved to have taken advantage of flight training and an aviation role.  But the commitment to 6 years of service was more than I was willing to go for.  So I understand.

My fortune was that the USAF put me through meteorological training and sent me to an Army Air Field (AAF) at Forney AAF at Ft Leonard Wood, Missouri (KTBN), where through conducting ground weather school training for US Army rotary and fixed wing pilots, and for the flying club, I was able to pursue my pilot training dreams at no cost!

I often wish I was back in the day!  Since 1985, when joining a new employer, I have been strictly a simulator pilot.  I was married with two kids at that time and I needed to relinquish my FAA registration to qualify for my new employer's benefits-included life insurance coverage, equal to twice my annual salary!  Something I was clearly compelled to do!

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

This is exactly why I didn't go for my Commercial Licence. I started school as a Mechanical Engineer at 18 and was working full time by 22 with a very good salary. At 24 because I had a good disposable income I went to Flight School and I was thinking of making a career change. I got through PPL and was at the point to pursue commercial but walked away. This was back in 1994 and the pay back then wasn't good enough for me to give up on my Mechanical Engineering salary and take a big pay drop to chase a dream.

Today more then 25 years later it is even worse, the pay is worst then ever, when you compare costs of training and amount of time to train etc as pointed out in this video. Airliners are taking advantage of the ones that dream of flying and are willing to put them through all of that to become a pilot and end up selling their potential income far short because they are chasing a dream. Even decades into that career the eventual salaries still fall short compared to other careers with similar education standards and years of experience, not to mention the inevitable compromised pension plan. 

Reality is I wanted to be a pilot in the 1960s, when it was a revered job with great pay, I realized in 1994 those days were long gone so I walked away, best decision I ever made. Good thing the Flight SIms got better since then, it satisfies my interests in aviation enough and I am very glad I didn't compromise my potential earnings chasing a dream. 

Edited by Matthew Kane
  • Like 2

Matthew Kane

I recommend watching the Frontline episode "Flying Cheap".  This may not only discourage one from wanting to become a pilot, but may well discourage anyone from ever flying again.  Having said that, and despite the issues with the regional carriers, aircraft accidents, especially fatal ones, are still very rare.

Dave

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

Tell me there is a pilot shortage when there arent 12000 application on file for every major airline in the us. 

Not only that, but most airlines around the world arent clamoring to hire expats either.

The only shortage is with airlines like the regionals here in the states.

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

10 minutes ago, ahsmatt7 said:

Tell me there is a pilot shortage when there arent 12000 application on file for every major airline in the us. 

Not only that, but most airlines around the world arent clamoring to hire expats either.

The only shortage is with airlines like the regionals here in the states.

Oh, there's definitely a pilot shortage.  You don't to the top to see if there is a shortage you look at the base.  The base will tell you what's coming down the road. Flight schools are hard pressed for intructors, as anyone who has ratings is quickly moving on to Part 135 operators for a year, after that a regional is snatching them up.  A year after that they are applying and getting accepted are Legacy's without ANY turbine PIC. Never ever having sat in the left seat of any aircraft since the time they got their CFI.  This is all unhearz of in the industry.  So yes. There is a pilot shortage, yes it has been routinely reported on, no one in the know is actually denying it.  It's only getting started to.  It's going to speed up over the next 5 years.

As to what caused this.  Such a long explanation and a lot of deducing.  But if you really want to narrow down the field I would look at the management of these regional airlines and the driving force of the Legacy's for cheaper and cheaper contractors. They started the race to the bottom and now it's time to reap what you sow.  That's just my honest opinion though.

Brian Thibodeaux | B747-400/8, C-130 Flight Engineer, CFI, Type Rated: BE190, DC-9 (MD-80), B747-400

beta.gif   

My Liveries