Sign in to follow this  
BoeingFan88

Boeing 747-8 flight deck seats.

Dear PMDG staff,

I love the new Boeing 747-8. It is a visual wonder and it has been very exciting learning all the new features such as the EFB! I do have one observation, though. It seems that the seats in the flight deck are still carried from the 747-400 and are not the "newer" style, sheep skin seats that seem to be installed on this plane. All the pictures that I have seen of a Boeing 747-8 flight deck seem to have these kind of seats. It's nit-picky I know, and in the grand scheme of things not a huge deal, but if visual accuracy is the end goal then I was wondering if this could be something incorporated in an update? The seats look very similar to what is on the Boeing 777, so I am not sure how hard it would be, or if it would be even possible, to migrate those seat textures from the 777 to the 747-8. Would it be possible to create an option to switch between these newer style seats and the old style, non-sheep skin seats in the PMDG options? If this is all not feasible then that's fine too, but it was just something that I noticed. Again, thank you all for the hard work in bringing this plane to life!

Joel

This came up with the 747v2 777 747v3 and now the 748.  Interesting.  My imperfect memory recalls that sheepskin covers are optionally applied by operators.  Not everyone likes them, although I had them in the C-414 and one of my beemers and liked them.  They do wear quicker than the materials you find on modern seats, by that I mean the wool becomes matted and quite dirty and impossible to clean.

Edited by downscc

Dan Downs KCRP

Our carrier uses wool for both the 744 and 748.  The benefit atleast at first is you have a tad more patting.  $400 million aircraft and they still can't provide padding that makes you comfortable while you sit in a seat long haul.  

Brian Thibodeaux | B747-400/8, C-130 Flight Engineer, CFI, Type Rated: BE190, DC-9 (MD-80), B747-400

beta.gif   

My Liveries

16 hours ago, thibodba57 said:

Our carrier uses wool for both the 744 and 748.  The benefit atleast at first is you have a tad more patting.  $400 million aircraft and they still can't provide padding that makes you comfortable while you sit in a seat long haul.  

You don’t honestly expect them to pay $100 extra per seat for something more comfortable in the flight deck do you?????

Interesting. Ive sat in a sheepskin seat and it was quite comfy! Maybe it is an optional thing, but I just haven't seen any pictures yet of a 747-8 without them.

Do you think that comfort would be worth the potential hit to performance for many users?  I'd rather use the processing power available to do things like EFBs and dynamic lighting, and there are a few that like the water on the windshields.

Dan Downs KCRP

I can’t imagine those textures being much of a performance hit, but I will be  the first to say that I’m no expert, so that could very well be true! If it was an option, though, whether you wanted to have them or not then there is a potential problem solved. The PMDG 777 has them since those are the kind of seats that are seen on the 777. With the EFB planned to being imported over there, I’m sure PMDG will find a way for performance to be just fine.