Sign in to follow this  
Felix448

PMDG 747 Flying Tigers & Seaboard World Liveries

Hello, 

I´m searching for a talented repainter who would be able to reproduce 2 retro schemes on the PMDG QOTS II 747-400F (for P3Dv4, if that matters). The airlines already mentioned in the title did use the 747 as a type but not specifically the newer versions. As we dont have a high quality 747 Classic for the sim, the paints will have to be on the -400 (and possibly 747-8) and are therefore partially fictional. Both liveries incorporate a lot of bare metal / chrome textures, so whoever decides to take on the task or give it a try should be aware of this not being the easiest thing to do. If you are a professional repainter and would like to make these liveries for the sim on order please contact me directly. 

1. Flying Tigers (Flying Tiger Line)  

Founded in 1945 after the 2nd WW a group of pilots from the AVG (First American Volunteer Group), was a cargo airline operating from the US. Starting off as a more or less small company flying regional routes around the US and central america, they evolved into one of the worlds largest international cargo airlines until 1989 when they merged with FedEx. Nowadays the airline is sadly a bit forgotten and I´d like to bring it back to a modern sim. By the way if anyone here remembers the name, the original orca whale "Shamu" was transported in contract for SeaWorld by Flying Tigers once, no joke! 

I can assist with more detailed images if you decide to take on the repaint. More information can also be found here https://www.flyingtigerline.org/ and here http://www.flyingtigersclub.org/history/

Example photo:

Boeing_747-249F-SCD,_Flying_Tigers_AN182

2. Seaboard World Airlines

Seaboard World was also founded shortly after WW 2 and for the most part earned their money on US and atlantic routes. They had a very distinct livery and named their 747F´s as "Containership". Maybe not a graceful name but definitely a unique one!  Seaboard was also a fairly big air cargo company and were the first to fly a direct freighter service from the US to the UK. In their later years they got into financal trouble and in 1980 merged with Flying Tigers.

More information can be found here: http://www.seaboardairlines.org/

Example photo:

b747_1.jpg

I´d like to thank anyone for reading and even more anyone who decides to reproduce these liveries for the sim!

Best Regards, Felix

• Like 1

I painted FT on the PMDG 777 a while back.

sendfile.php?Location=AVSIM&Proto=file&I

The 744 version intrigues me but it will be a lot of work converting my metal to the 744.  Once I get metal on the 744...the Seaboard would not be a far fetched idea since its mostly metal as well.

Let me play with a few things and get back to this thread on my findings.

• Like 2

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

1 minute ago, Steve Dra said:

I painted FT on the PMDG 777 a while back.

The 744 version intrigues me but it will be a lot of work converting my metal to the 744.  Once I get metal on the 744...the Seaboard would not be a far fetched idea since its mostly metal as well.

Retirement!  HAHAHA

Brian Thibodeaux | B747-400/8, C-130 Flight Engineer, CFI, Type Rated: BE190, DC-9 (MD-80), B747-400

beta.gif   

My Liveries

Just now, thibodba57 said:

Retirement!  HAHAHA

I know right?   I knew I'd probably stray from my "retirement" from painting,,,,trust me if this wasn't a livery I'm personally interested in, I would not have replied. :wink:

I do love metal, and love old freighters...so the temptation is certainly there....LOL

• Like 1

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

2 minutes ago, Steve Dra said:

👍 If that works out let me know if you need any help with details. I got a good amount of photos for the FT 747 around here... 

26 minutes ago, Felix448 said:

Any news on this already @Steve Dra ?

Not yet...still working on this:

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

Started...early preview.....much work to do on the metal....but the main paint and the alpha....doing metal paints is like doing 2 whole paints due to all the attention needed on the alpha.

tKYGXB.png

Any photos you mentioned would be good to post so I can have more reference material.

Edited by Steve Dra
  • Like 2

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

Looking good so far!

By the way, as I didn´t mention it above, engine variant can be either PW 4056 or GE`s CF-6. I´d maybe tend towards the PW´s because thats at least the manufacturer from which the engines on their 747´s came from. Additionally the -400 has winglets which of course aren´t on the -100 and -200... Not quite sure how they should look as we can´t get rid of them. Same grey as on the nose / WBF or similar to the red & blue stripes on the fuselage?

4 hours ago, Felix448 said:

Looking good so far!

By the way, as I didn´t mention it above, engine variant can be either PW 4056 or GE`s CF-6. I´d maybe tend towards the PW´s because thats at least the manufacturer from which the engines on their 747´s came from. Additionally the -400 has winglets which of course aren´t on the -100 and -200... Not quite sure how they should look as we can´t get rid of them. Same grey as on the nose / WBF or similar to the red & blue stripes on the fuselage?

Yeah...all considerations as I get further along in the paint.

Here are a few 1st looks of the early paint on the 3d model in P3d:

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg