Sign in to follow this  
phmcr

NGX directed to water runway

Hi,

On several occassions my NGX was directed to use the water runway rather than the land runway by default P3D ATC. On these airports none of the AI is directed there. Can anybody explain why this happens and what needs to be adjusted in the aircraft.cfg to correct this?

Edited by phmcr

Menno 

i7-11700, 16GB, 1 TB SSD, 2 TB HDD, RTX 3070, Windows 11, MSFS 2020 DeLuxe, P3D 4.5

18 minutes ago, phmcr said:

Hi,

On several occassions my NGX was directed to use the water runway rather than the land runway by default P3D ATC. On these airports none of the AI is directed there. Can anybody explain why this happens and what needs to be adjusted in the aircraft.cfg to correct this?

Default P3D ATC is just, to put it polite, not worth using. If you see that you are directed to a wrong runway just land on the correct one. There is nothing needed correction from our side.

Chris Makris

PLEASE NOTE PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at http://forum.pmdg.com

Chris, thanks for your reply. I am not saying PMDG should change anything, but still none of the AI go there. So something must be causing this or at least not causing this for the AI......

Thanks!

Menno 

i7-11700, 16GB, 1 TB SSD, 2 TB HDD, RTX 3070, Windows 11, MSFS 2020 DeLuxe, P3D 4.5

2 minutes ago, phmcr said:

Chris, thanks for your reply. I am not saying PMDG should change anything, but still none of the AI go there. So something must be causing this or at least not causing this for the AI......

Thanks!

Might be AFCAD/ADE issue for that airport.

Chris Makris

Been searching for that but couldn't find anything that solved it. Trouble is FlyTampa also have a water runway in the EHAM AFCAD which cannot be deleted. And since EHAM is my main hub, I get a little tired of being sent to ditch it......

Thnaks for your help.

Menno 

1 minute ago, phmcr said:

Been searching for that but couldn't find anything that solved it. Trouble is FlyTampa also have a water runway in the EHAM AFCAD which cannot be deleted. And since EHAM is my main hub, I get a little tired of being sent to ditch it......

Thnaks for your help.

You might need to ask them for that Afcad. As far as I know they provide different afcads usually,

Chris Makris

23 minutes ago, phmcr said:

Thnaks for your help.

Check that your EHAM scenery is up to date.. This happened to me too with the initial version but I think there has been an update after which it was solved. Not sure anymore, there are sooo many updates. But that‘s a bgl-issue. A2A airplanes for example are made as amphibians so they can belly land and ditch without FSX to crash the flight/junp around when crash detection is off. I don‘t know how PMDG has created their addons but this behaviour might send your A2A airplanes to water runways using default air trash control. 

And don‘t mess with addon afcad. There was a reason for this water runway, bit I can‘t recall it anymore. I believe it had to do with the usage of multiple runways like 18/36s together with 24 for take offs. And the 27 together with 24 and so on. They had to trick a lot.

Edited by Ephedrin

I remember being asked to use a water runway at EGHQ Newquay (the UK2000 VFR Airfields Volume 1 version)......and that airport does not have a water runway! The problem was because of an orphaned ILS that was associated with a fictional runway that was designated as "water"; don't ask me why this needed to be done, as I do not understand it! However, are you saying that ATC is asking you to use a water runway that is actually present at FlyTampa EHAM Amsterdam Schiphol? I use that airport, but I have never been asked to use a water runway. In fact, I was not aware that one existed! If it does, then I think it must be part of a separate AFD file. If that is the case, then that specific "water runway" AFD file can probably be removed (if you have no reason to ever use it).

I will have a look tonight to see how it is configured.

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Thanks guys for your input. I reworked the original AFCAD to support different wind directions and make runway usage more realisitc according to RL. It is not always using the 18/36 water runway if winds are from a different angle of course. Since it can't be deleted/orphaned I don't think it is a cross wind runway. Those can be deleted. 

Anyway, I have asked FT if they have a solution.

Edited by phmcr

Menno 

I have FlyTampa Amsterdam set up to use runway 18L for take offs and 18C/R for landings, so there is something strange going on here. Having said that, I have manually adjusted the AFD file to accommodate this.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

To echo what Chris said earlier:

Default ATC is garbage. I'd avoid using it entirely...specifically for these reasons.

Kyle Rodgers

I don’t know if this would make a difference and you may already be aware of this but you can select different AFCADs depending on the winds for Fly Tampa EHAM in their configuration tool. That could possibly solve your problem. 

Tom Landry

PMDG_NGX_Tech_Team.jpg

8 hours ago, Ralgh said:

I don’t know if this would make a difference and you may already be aware of this but you can select different AFCADs depending on the winds for Fly Tampa EHAM in their configuration tool. That could possibly solve your problem. 

Yes but only before you start P3D. If it‘s already running, you‘re flying and Active  Sky decides to change the weather, you have to do it manually and that‘s far from being handy. 

You have to go to the FT Amsterdam folder, search for the 4 wind direction bgl files, rename the active to .stfu (or .off) and rename the correct .off file to .bgl. Then you have to quickly switch back to P3D, go to the scenery library and hit ok. Then the runways have switched... but I wouldn‘t mess with the AFCAD setup, they are done like this for a reason.

Some developers also give you the option to use all runways in the afcad which also illuminates them when your not using that runway. I use this option at Madrid and also FT Amsterdam.