Sign in to follow this  
cavaricooper

ASA710- A Nostalgic Flight Southbound

After a fair bit of reading and a bit of free time, having been busy with a slightly bigger aeroplane as of late, I decided to do some flying in the -6.  Add to that I have an ASA paint I'm particularly attached to, and that Alaska Airlines has ventured far and wide, I decided to take the old girl South.  Let's just call it route exploration... who knows how far South I'll end up?

It had been a while since I really experienced all the contortions necessary, and so today we departed Seattle in one of Pete's marvelous repaints (which I begged for, and he was gracious enough to provide).  Here we are, fat, dumb and happy at 17,000 feet (almost FL time, can you believe it?).  The cowls just went back to 0 as the temps from the climb cooled, we're pulling 34" of Manifold and the props are turning 2100.  We switched to High Blower a bit ago, during a fairly anemic bit of climb, and the world is a happy place... almost time for some of Bucky Pizzarelli's "Moonglow"... except it's the other astral globe...

po2SE87.jpg

Now, here's a view I love.  It's one of the few times I realize that (for it's time) this was a BIG aeroplane.  The word "stolid" was invented for just these sort of occasions.  I can feel the stoutness of Douglas main spars, and marvel in the quality of the English Wheel work, all whilst sipping Darjeeling, and looking at the Orbx landscape rolling by below... it's comforting in a very different way from running the ND out to see the /511 circles make pretty pictures.  There's a solidity about this wing that leaves one reassured and reminded that it was built after all, in Long Beach, albeit a few years ago.

HblCW1E.jpg

Another little bit and the cowls will close further, and perhaps if I am lucky, the trolly dolly will venture forward with sandwiches... who knows...?

C

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

This is what golden light on worked aluminum looks like... just like THIS!

bE1uvSn.jpg

C

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

v4E9m2S.jpg

Flying over the Orbx World in the teens and sub tens... has definite advantages... BEAUTIFUL!

When's the last time someone saw this through prop blur?

9UpR1Gh.jpg

C

Edited by cavaricooper

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Santa Cruz Beach just up ahead....

Q67LAnA.jpg

.. and here we are in Monterrey, nestled amongst the 601s, G-Vs and a few regionals...

QVuFmC9.jpg

I wonder if they'll mind AeroShell on the asphalt overnight? 😉

8iw7kV9.jpg

C

Edited by cavaricooper
  • Like 1

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

I always enjoy reading your posts Carl, your DC-6 stories inspire me! I just did PAWD-PANC in my everts colours in VR, was short but very nice. I've had the oculus rift for almost a year but don't use it that often (still mostly fly with monitor) and I forget how good it is until I put it back on, those Alaskan mountains look amazing! I only recently bought the PMDG 744 too and did my first VR take off tonight, again out of PANC 7R, I was surprised how well my system handled the 744, VR, Orbx and Aerosoft PANC, good times for us simmers at the moment! Need to pick up the 747-8 next but back to the DC-6 and VOR navigation first! Homer to Yakutat I think..

Gary-

I will pray for ceiling and visibility at minimums- that circling DME arc is a lovely and I don't want you to miss out!  Thanks for the kind words, much appreciated.  I have yet to dabble in VR, waiting for the 4K glasses....

C

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper