Sign in to follow this  
Indy511

Windows 10 October update. Ver. 1809

25 minutes ago, dmiannay said:

1809 update completed, absolutely zero issues with P3D.  Very smooth.

Same here. 

Rick Verhallen

i9-13900KF OC to 5.8 Ghz | 64 GIG- G.Skill 7200 RAM | Asus ROG Maximus z790 Hero Motherboard | Gigabyte  RTX 4090 OC |  47" Samsung 4K Monitor I HP Reverb G2 HMD I Varjo Aero HMD I  Windows 11

10 hours ago, Rob Ainscough said:

EDIT: 1809 did have one small issue, it reset my monitor settings in NCP back to "Default color settings" rather than using nVidia color settings, so making sure you set this back to nVidia with RGB and dynamic range = Full ... if you don't then you may find yourself with washout colors in games/sims. 

Hm, I have a GTX 1080 on Windows 10 but I don't have these options at all... I can only choose Desktop color depth, there is no Use nVidia setting at all here... Do I have to do something special to get these options? I always only install nVidia graphic driver and deselect everything else nVidia wants to install.

Nvidia has also released new drivers to go with the windows 10 update, driver 416.16 today.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Never had issues before the update. Bad luck for me. CTD each time I try to start P3D.

Faulting application name: Prepar3D.exe, version: 4.3.29.25520, time stamp: 0x5b2c3263
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.17763.1, time stamp: 0xa369e897
Exception code: 0xc0000374
Fault offset: 0x00000000000fb349
Faulting process id: 0x3c1c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d45bfe9d76d1be
Faulting application path: D:\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\Prepar3D.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 1494fcdb-581d-42c9-8985-0bb6866a1b0d
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

I checked under windows\system32 and ntdll.dll has changed to v10.0.17763.1 where the old version was 10.0.17134.254.

For me, I have other programs that are giveng me fits where the apps just get hung up and won't start. Event Viewer shows the culprit lies with the new version of ntdll.dll.

Updated:

Used Recovery and went back to earlier build. Seems to work but having troubles with CP now.

Edited by Sid Starz
More info

2 hours ago, dmiannay said:

1809 update completed, absolutely zero issues with P3D.  Very smooth.

+1 very good 

Thanks Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

1 hour ago, J van E said:

Do I have to do something special to get these options?

Yes, install everything ... why would you not?  How are you configuring your app profiles and monitors and color space without NCP?

I think we're these rumors/fear start regarding nVidia complete installations is because XYZ has a problem it means everyone else will have a problem ... this is not a logical thought process.  In this case, I'm guessing because at some point in time (3 years ago) there were 10 people that had a performance problem with "Shadow play" that really wasn't a problem but was because they didn't turn off Live Streaming (or didn't realize it was turned on) so it was eating up CPU cycles streaming to nothing or to file and cause performance issues ... or maybe there was a problem, that has long since been resolved.

Software certainly it's perfect, but always take into account YOUR situation is NOT going to be the same as everyone else's situation. 

My advice, don't build walls for something that doesn't exist or exists for a very small minority of cases.  Evaluate everything on an "as is" basis, don't stereotype, don't generalize, don't make assumptions.

If anyone has read PMDG's documentation, there is a very good passage in there from RR ... hope PMDG don't mine me showing this snippet form their PDF:

image.png.e69deb0a9b1ba5066997a01803000d88.png

Cheers, Rob.

A few more tips that might help with a clean 1809 update:

1.  Temporarily disable any Anti-Virus software (including Windows Defender)
2.  Exit/Quit anything not critical in your Systray (be aware that not everything running might be showing in your Systray ... you can check your Taskbar/Systray via Settings)
3.  Make sure you have enough free Disk space, the update consumed 42GB of "backup" disk space for prior version
4.  Disable any and all OC prior to running the update

The process took about 10-15 mins on my PCs with several reboots as part of the process.

Cheers, Rob.

1809 is working fine for me. After updating I did a flight from VHHH to EGLL in the new 748 with out a hiccup.

51 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

Yes, install everything ... why would you not

Because I (so I thought) don't need it? And because I like to keep my system clean. I only have P3D and AFS2 on my PC so I don't need PhysX afaik. HD Audio drivers...? What for? 3D Vision...? Er...? GeForce Experience...? Again, what for? (Well, maybe for those color settings?) I simply don't like to install stuff I don't need. 😉 And btw even the nVidia site itself says "The only mandatory component you must install is the Graphics Driver." Which is why I only install the graphic driver.

BTW Concerning PMDG's quote: I agree. I never disable services etc. anymore. I not only like to keep my system clean, I also like to tweak as little as possible. 😉

Thank you all for your feedback.
I updated to 1809. P3Dv4.3 and everything else runs smoothly.

22 minutes ago, J van E said:

I simply don't like to install stuff I don't need.

Ok, but how do you know you don't need it?  Or how do you know some element of an application doesn't need it?  

It's Windows, it's never going to be clean, and that's ok ... that's my point, everything you mentioned doesn't have any impact on performance and doesn't use much space.  But rule of thumb, if you don't know, don't make a decision to change it.

Cheers, Rob.

I'm old and old school. I just let Windows 10 do it's thing when and where it wants.  Same for Nvidia, I even let it do all the installs.  Never had a problem.

In face, I'm so old school that I can program in COBOL. ROFL

Grace and Peace,

• Like 1

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

2 hours ago, Bluestar said:

I'm old and old school. I just let Windows 10 do it's thing when and where it wants.  Same for Nvidia, I even let it do all the installs.  Never had a problem.

Grace and Peace,

Exactly how you're meant to do it!!!!!!!!

3 hours ago, Bluestar said:

Grace and Peace,

Ahh COBOL.. the old days when syntax was clear, simple and easy.. now C++ and F# do my head all the time with their spooky Lambda functions.. humans love to complicate things!

S.