Sign in to follow this  
Indy511

Windows 10 October update. Ver. 1809

On 10/4/2018 at 2:21 AM, JoeFackel said:

Blocked updates on my dedicated P3D windows installation, still on 1607 😉

1607! Me too exact same version. It's wonderful turning on the PC every day and being to to exactly the same work you could do the day before without spending all morning trying to get something working that a new 'feature' destroyed..

Pro version worth every cent of the $200 I paid for it back when

😄

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK

On 13/11/2018 at 20:06, miguelpp said:

Actualización, una nueva actualización con ISO (actualizada) lleva la versión a 17763.107. La nueva actualización acumulativa a 17763.134.

Saludos.

Miquel.

The new cumulative update to 17763.134. it has given me problems with prepar 3d v4.3 I had to go back to 17763.107

I have 1809 on a new Win 10 Pro installation...it reset some of the network sharing settings used for my ancillary stuff that runs via simconnect/WideFS over the network.  And eVGA's Precision XOC no longer runs.

I've read in a couple places that it's recommended to get 1809 first before installing the latest nVidia RTX-enabled drivers for the 2080-series GPUs.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

On 11/12/2018 at 10:10 PM, Rob Ainscough said:

So after some time with 1809 it's definitely not as smooth sailing as I initially reported, at this point I would recommend users stay with 1803 until Microsoft address the 1809 issues and release a 1809 consumer installer.  As other's have pointed out, 1809 has been pulled and is no longer available via Windows Update.  MS pulled 1809 ... but then restarted it deployment, but then pulled it again, so just a word of warning.  It's a shame, 1809 has some pretty interesting new features.

https://www.neowin.net/news/microsofts-silence-on-the-windows-10-1809-delay-is-deafening/

Well, after reading that article, all I can say is thank god I elected to pursue the dual-boot route. Win 10 Pro 1803 seems okay in terms of stability although hardly earth shattering in terms of improved performance or, indeed, what it has to offer over my Windows 7 installation. No doubt things will improve in time, but the current (?!) somewhat dismissive and contemptuous way Microsoft are treating their end users will be hard to forgive unless there are urgent interventions promoting a radical shift in policy.

Seems my long-standing and constantly evolving mistrust and lack of faith in the Microsoft Monolith is being vindicated. I wish those that constantly rush to their defence would stop and think about what they are doing. Clearly there are fundamental issues that need addressing not least being their recent public relations debacle. Nothing is likely to change for the better so long as the sycophants keep stroking their overinflated corporate egos.

Mike

• Upvote 1

I recently bought a Win 10 LTSB key off of Ebay for less than $10.  No Edge, no Cortana, no garbage.  It will not update to ANY Win 10 version beyond what is installed and will be patched by Microsoft until 2026.

I think I'm good until then.

33 minutes ago, Cruachan said:

Nothing is likely to change for the better so long as the sycophants keep stroking their overinflated corporate egos.

Bingo.

It also doesn't help their Windows Insider Program is run by a narcissist who is more obsessed with her selfies instead of important feedback/bugs gathered from users.

19 minutes ago, Greggy_D said:

I think I'm good until then.

Only as long as you don't need any of the new features like ray tracing (whenever it may actually work efficiently), or any future enhancements, which need the latest update.

I'm certainly not an apologist for MS but I try to be realistic about the task they face. The number of possible hardware/software combinations that Windows has to cope with are almost infinite. It's impossible to beta test new releases on all of them so, inevitably, Windows cause problems on some systems - all Windows version have had issues. Even the latest 1809 update has needed quite a specific set of circumstances to cause problems and, it would appear, most people have not had any serious issues. If MS are to be believed, only "one one-hundredth of one percent of version 1809 installs" have been affected. Like problems with anything, those affected are usually very vocal making it look much more widespread than it is. That's not to say that those affected should not, rightly, feel aggrieved.

I may be lucky but I have yet to have any significant problems with Windows 10. I have automatic updates turned on (but exclude driver updates) but have yet to receive the 1809 update which leads me to believe that it's still being refined for general release. I wait with bated breath!

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

1 hour ago, vortex681 said:

Only as long as you don't need any of the new features like ray tracing (whenever it may actually work efficiently), or any future enhancements, which need the latest update.

Hi,

I dipped into Witcher 3 for a short session under Windows 10 last night and was struck by the beauty and complexity of the changing lighting effects at dawn while moving through the scene. Not sure I would notice any significant differences brought to the party by ray tracing if or when I install a GPU that supports it.

I discovered I can run most of my existing Windows 7-installed-Steam-Games under Windows 10 without any need to reinstall under Win 10. (As of now the only exception is Assassin’s Creed: Odyssey which I elected to install exclusively under Windows 10) I assume this is because most Steam installs have no requirement to access the Windows Registry. All that is needed with a dual-Boot arrangement is to install Steam under Windows 10 and ensure the drive letter assignments are the same for both operating systems. I have confirmed that this also applies to X-Plane11 and Aerofly2 without any licensing or registry-related issues. Sadly, P3D is a different animal which would require herculean efforts to share an existing install. I suspect it would be possible we’re it not for the fact that LM require the purchase of a second license and, presumably, a second install. Their logic escapes me! All that does is a) encourage me/reinforces my desire to remain with Windows 7 for Version 4.x and b) reserve Windows 10 for Version 5.

Regards,

Mike

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, vortex681 said:

I'm certainly not an apologist for MS but I try to be realistic about the task they face. The number of possible hardware/software combinations that Windows has to cope with are almost infinite.

Oh please, they accepted the responsibility and the financial rewards, it’s their’s to face and resolve by whatever means necessary. Hardware combinations amongst 90% of users is unlikely to be infinite. In any case the current hardware spec should be scanned for compatibility prior to each install. 

The responsibility for software issues outwith the Win10 operating system lies more with the Developers and Microsoft needs to involve them all prior to releasing an update. They need to listen more during the development phases and demonstrate a preparedness to engage with and act when significant issues are reported. Quite evidently recent revelations suggest such positive cooperation is lacking.

Mike

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Cruachan said:

Hardware combinations amongst 90% of users is unlikely to be infinite.

I didn't say the hardware combinations were infinite (although I think the number of possible combinations is probably much larger than you'd think), I said the hardware and software combinations are probably almost infinite. Windows 10 doesn't just work with the hardware, it works with entire PC ecosystem.

7 hours ago, Cruachan said:

In any case the current hardware spec should be scanned for compatibility prior to each install.

It is. That's why with automatic updates set, not everyone gets updates at the same time - I haven't had 1809 yet. Many people who got the 1809 update bypassed the automatic system and selected "Check for updates" which gives you it even if your system is not entirely compatible.

Edited by vortex681
  • Upvote 1

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

The 1809 update hit my PC today and introduced the black flashing.  Disabling TrueGlass by renaming the dll file was the only fix that worked for me.  I run 4K at 30Hz with Vsync and triple buffering enabled.

- updated my GeForce driver to 417.35 - no effect.

- locked my TFR to 31 - no effect.

- disabled TrueGlass and the flashing appears to be gone.  FYI - I also applied the latest TFDi 717 patch.

ASUS TUF Gaming Z690-Plus ▪︎ Intel i9-12900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 4090Ti ▪︎ 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo ▪︎ Windows 11 Home ▪︎ 3x Western Digital Black SN850 2TB NVME SSD ▪︎  ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair HX1000 Platinum PSU ▪︎ Fractal Design Meshify 2 ATX Case

On 11/14/2018 at 5:32 PM, sloppysmusic said:

1607! Me too exact same version. It's wonderful turning on the PC every day and being to to exactly the same work you could do the day before without spending all morning trying to get something working that a new 'feature' destroyed..

Pro version worth every cent of the $200 I paid for it back when

😄

Woah..... try CDkeys..... Pro cost me 10 GBP

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Gabe777 said:

Woah..... try CDkeys..... Pro cost me 10 GBP

Yeh but my key is 100% legit, owned by me only and will never be deactivated. People sharing MSDN keys which can be activated about 10 times before Microsoft gets suspicious and deactivates is against the EULA of Technet and therefore illegal. Microsoft like Sony controls the pricing of its products as part of its business strategy. If I were you I wouldn't be sharing with the world you have a non retail windows license key on a public forum. 

🔑🤔😬

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK

CDKeys is legit as far as I am aware - thy are transferred OEM are they not ?

I am not a criminal and would appreciate it, if the implication that I am, was not made.

Edited by Gabe777

Is a Windows 10 Pro key for £9.49 reduced from £29.99 legitimate?🤣🤣

Microsoft price £219.99.

Edited by nolonger