Sign in to follow this  
Shomron

Current thoughts on ATC programs

23 minutes ago, fly_edds said:

The dev of Pro-ATC/X seems to be in his yearly winter sleep already (which lasts approximately from Oktober to July)...

No crashes occured since more than a year, but it still generates a very! small percentage of weird routings on taxi, takeoff and approach at a few specific airports , but I can live with that.

I've been using Pro-ATC/X for more or less a year now, and all I can say is that it covers everything I want to have for an ATC program. I've never had a crash and I find very easy to use it and to setup/configure. It can fly SID & STARS and also vectors as in real life (not all SID and mainly STARS are followed to the letter IRL, as ATC controllers usually guide you for a vectorized approach instead).

The only one thing that still bothers me a bit is that even with a flightplan loaded and properly filled, Pro-ATC/X sometimes tries to vectorize me for the complete route, even after telling you that you can follow the flightplan, but I should confess I don't know if this is just me doing something wrong or having forgotten to do something, or is really a bug of the app.

Cheers, Ed

• Like 1

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

I've been using RC since RC3 was released. I intend to stick with it, until some company comes up with a better solution for me or it becomes incompatible with P3D.

PATC/X includes a planner which I already have and don't need to pay for all over again. Plus, I don't like when companies restrict the public from their forums - it tells me that they don't have the time or they have much to hide.  

I tried PFE but there is just too much set up for me (like planning a single flight twice) - "I'd rather be flying". Dave March is great though; having an excellent concept, essentially alone, and managing a huge project quite well.

I have been considering P2ATC but again, extra features that I already have, plus yes, them voices can get expensive. 

I think many are looking for just an ATC controller utility that can read a flight plan, and be worldwide, complete, adaptable, and realistic for us and the AI around us....sounds simple enough😃

All of these ATC utilities have their strength and weaknesses - just like the flight sims we have available to us, its too bad we can't have a product that combines all the good features into one. PFE with worldwide voice accents, PATC/x with its ability to assign sids/stars on the fly w/o intervention (I can do the same using NOTAMS in RC4 with a little intervention), RC4 for its essential options, simplicity, and stability, P2ATC for voice clarity ect ect...we want it all!😇   

• Like 2

Ain’t that the truth! I find my self going from PATC to PF3 and viseversa constantly!

Edited by UAL4life
changed PFE to PF3

5 minutes ago, UAL4life said:

Ain’t that the truth! I find my self going from PATC to PFE and viseversa constantly!

Are we talking about PFE or PF3. Two different programs. 

• Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Thanks! Yes I meant PF3.

The randomizer helps but man if it had the STAR/SID and more importantly a runway specific FAF (instead of having to set it every time) PF3 would be my primary ATC program. 🙂

Ive been ProatcX user for years, currently using it in P3Dv4.3, generally I have been happy with it, but it's due for an update. I have added my own background chatter to add to the realism, but agree with past comments that the stock ATC (plus added voicepacks) sound robotic. My biggest gripe is it continually assigns a VOR or NDB approach to major airports that have ILS facilities, this despite me preferring ILS in the setup. It has a lot of potential but development seems to have come to a halt since Prepar3d v4 was released.

steve southey

2 hours ago, UAL4life said:

Thanks! Yes I meant PF3.

The randomizer helps but man if it had the STAR/SID and more importantly a runway specific FAF (instead of having to set it every time) PF3 would be my primary ATC program. 🙂

I am currently doing a test flight using PF3 demo. Where do I find the randomizer option? I found no indication in the manual. 

Shom

[Win 10 Pro, i7-9700K, MSI 3080Ti, 4K screen, Crucial 2666 16GB, 2 500GB Samsung EVOs 850/860]

[MSFS 2020 running with Fenix A320, PMDG 737, FSS E-175, Aerosoft CRJ]

[P3D v5.3 HF2 running with ifly 737 Max 8, FSLabs A319/320/321, Feelthere E170/175/190/195 v3, PMDG 737 NGXu ,TFDI 717, Aerosoft CRJ Pro, Majestic Dash 8, CS 757 iii, Feelthere ERJ-145, Fly The Maddog X, QW 787, PMDG 777]

I find the SID/STAR management a bit overwhelming. haven't gotten to the bottom of Adjust Altitudes, SIDs, STARs and Holds for Selected Flight Plan screen

I also find the vectoring a bit of an overkill - turning from downwind to final is accompanied by multiple turn vectors...

Lack of visual menu with options is also a downside....

Edited by Shomron

Shom

[Win 10 Pro, i7-9700K, MSI 3080Ti, 4K screen, Crucial 2666 16GB, 2 500GB Samsung EVOs 850/860]

[MSFS 2020 running with Fenix A320, PMDG 737, FSS E-175, Aerosoft CRJ]

[P3D v5.3 HF2 running with ifly 737 Max 8, FSLabs A319/320/321, Feelthere E170/175/190/195 v3, PMDG 737 NGXu ,TFDI 717, Aerosoft CRJ Pro, Majestic Dash 8, CS 757 iii, Feelthere ERJ-145, Fly The Maddog X, QW 787, PMDG 777]

Took a look at P2ATC - IMHO serious overkill for MY type of flights. Lots of bells and whistles if you like that sort of thing.

Patcx - easy learning curve with enough bells and whistles to accomplish full IFR flights with little problems

PF3 - I keep switching between this and Patcx - I tend to prefer this for short flights where Patcx is great for longer.

None of the ones I've tried, including Voxatc are perfect but I've had no serious issues with any of them and the forums generally provide quick support.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

7 hours ago, DChockey08 said:

I liked ProATC and used it for a bit, but didn't like the quality of the voices. Way too robotic. I did love how it set up the SIDsSTARs dynamically based on winds. 

I reverted to PF3 for a while because IMO that has the best sounding voices but the problem with PF3 is 1. It takes way too long to set up and 2. There's no dynamic STAR change, which is kind of weird if you're on a 14 hour flight and you've already decided your STAR prior to departure. 

Ultimately my favorite default ATC paired with requesting transitions on RNAV approaches which allows you to fly STARs and use ATC. Easiest to set up and quickest to get going. It's a little known feature of FSX/P3D. Everyone says "default ATC doesn't support STARs" but there is a workaround. You can fly an assigned star as long as the ADE file has it configured as an RNAV approach transition and request it when ATC begins to vector you.

This is what I've decided to do until a better ATC alternative comes along.  The current offerings are simply deficient in too many areas and aren't worth the cost in my opinion.

Dave

Edited by dave2013
misspelling
  • Like 1

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

1 hour ago, Shomron said:

I am currently doing a test flight using PF3 demo. Where do I find the randomizer option? I found no indication in the manual. 

The Randomizer is a separate program Look on their forum where you can download it. Read the manual with it. http://www.ocs-support.co.uk/forums/viewforum.php?f=10

Edited by Bobsk8

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

12 hours ago, Shomron said:

Hello,

I've been using Radar contact in the last 10 years and finally looking into purchasing a new ATC program.

I have to admit Radar Contact has done a great job - it is rock solid (no CTDs) and always vectors correctly. However, it's time for a refreshing change and I'm also looking for better SID/STAR support.

After browsing the forum and checking out YT videos I find Pro ATC the best option.

Can anyone comment if the latest Pro ATC version (1.9.x) is solid in terms of correct vectoring? Are CTDs still experienced?

As for SID/STARs handling - I'm looking for real-world procedures. How are they handled in Pro-ATC?

Can one be vectored initially and then be cleared via SID? (In radar contact vectors are given only if the first way-point is >30 NM from the airport whereas in the real-world you can get vectors also to the initial SID way-point close to the airport)

Can one be cleared to a STAR and then be vectored without the need to follow the whole STAR?

Thanks

Just starting to use ProATC and wish they had a demo version as I would not have gotten it.  Departure out of PANC and was vectored towards the mounts off of 7L.  If the SID was full intergrated it would have known the initial turn was a right turn to H 199.   Taxi instructions were a complete mess in T2G KSEA, It was telling me to use taxiways that did not connect in any way shape or form.  Taxi instructions after landing on 16R were R, T, M, H, J, A when should have been R, Q, T, E Cross Runway 16L, B, A.  Approach clearance was given to me 4 or 5 times. "Cleared ILS 16R, Grify Transition.  Descend and maintain 6000"   "Cleared ILS 16R, Grify Transition. Descend and Maintain 4000."  etc.

http://155.178.201.160/d-tpp/1810/00582AD.PDF

I'm not impressed at all.

Brian Thibodeaux | B747-400/8, C-130 Flight Engineer, CFI, Type Rated: BE190, DC-9 (MD-80), B747-400

beta.gif   

My Liveries

15 minutes ago, thibodba57 said:

Just starting to use ProATC and wish they had a demo version as I would not have gotten it.  Departure out of PANC and was vectored towards the mounts off of 7L.  If the SID was full intergrated it would have known the initial turn was a right turn to H 199.   Taxi instructions were a complete mess in T2G KSEA, It was telling me to use taxiways that did not connect in any way shape or form.  Taxi instructions after landing on 16R were R, T, M, H, J, A when should have been R, Q, T, E Cross Runway 16L, B, A.  Approach clearance was given to me 4 or 5 times. "Cleared ILS 16R, Grify Transition.  Descend and maintain 6000"   "Cleared ILS 16R, Grify Transition. Descend and Maintain 4000."  etc.

http://155.178.201.160/d-tpp/1810/00582AD.PDF

I'm not impressed at all.

Have you run the MakeRunways.exe file? Read your scenery through Pro Atc? You can also update it with the latest Airac if you have it.

When I'm using ATC and not on Pilotedge, I'll be using Pilot2ATC.  I believe it is the closest thing to the real thing that you can get.

I have quite a few voices for it so it makes for different controllers through out the flight.

I have and have used all four of the discussed ATC programs, and all of them in their own way are a credit to their authors. My preference however is for ProATC X, the reasons are as follows.

Ease of use and shallow learning curve, can be set to only allow runways used by AI (so no taking off against the flow) can ask for alternate runway, SID or STAR (change of STAR allowed once you are within range of airport), can be set to change arrival runway according to weather, can be set to use HOLDS, Runways at all aiports can be allowed and disallowed, 3rd party ATC chatter can be added for every country in the World to add realism, accurate vectors to FAF. There are also some negative attributes such as the pilot/co-pilot and controller voices, but the program is still being developed and this will change overtime.

A tip for those people that have had some strange vectoring or offset runways on approach it is critical to use the inbuilt makerunways and keep your MAGDEC updated via Herv Soars website (he updates it on a monthly basis as it changes with the AIRAC) failure to do this after every new airport install or deinstall will result in some strange behaviour.

For those currently using ProATC with unanswered questions see the ProATC X Help Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565/

And here is a video for newcomers to ProATC X (it's in two parts):

Edited by SierraHotel
  • Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!