Sign in to follow this  
Shomron

Current thoughts on ATC programs

Gentlemen,

Sorry to perhaps temporarily hijack this thread, but from what I have read here there is a tremendous amount of knowledge that could give me a quick solution to my quandary. I am not a RW pilot, have some experience in the sim world and also as a passenger in GA aircraft. In the sim I have been interested for years in using proper voice procedure in flying GA, VFR only and normally smaller airports both controlled and non- controlled. I am tired of just responding by keyboard to P3D ATC and want to use a mike to follow correct procedures for all phases of my flight. So I am not in need of SID/STAR use, only simple voice procedure. Is there an ATC program suitable for my use without the complications of IFR needs etc. I have investigated and Pilot2ATC seemed the most likely. Or am I best to simply forget an ATC program?

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Rick

2 hours ago, Lorby_SI said:

IMHO the pilot has no control over where he is flying, when he is flying or how he is flying, when he sleeps, when he eats or when he wakes up. He is supposed to adhere to what he is told. Consume as little fuel as possible, don't cause trouble and keep the passengers reasonably happy (as long as it is cheap). In this day and age, even senior pilots are just numbers on a spreadsheet in the airline's finance and controlling department.

LOL Well, yeah, looking at it like that you could say that NOTHING we do on our simming PC's comes close to what happens in real life... Funny how I don't want to  figure out my own SID and STAR while I do want to figure out where I am flying from and to and with what plane and under which circumstances... Not quite realistic! Our 'sim realism' is far from realistic... It doesn't even come close. 😉

1 hour ago, Bobsk8 said:

I am a much better pilot now then I was with PATC telling me every move to make. 

That's great but you can't blame that on ProATC. 😉 I use ProATC but know my charts very well and use them all the time for every flight. ProATC didn't make me totally inept at reading charts, that's for sure! 😉

1 hour ago, paddler said:

Gentlemen,

Sorry to perhaps temporarily hijack this thread, but from what I have read here there is a tremendous amount of knowledge that could give me a quick solution to my quandary. I am not a RW pilot, have some experience in the sim world and also as a passenger in GA aircraft. In the sim I have been interested for years in using proper voice procedure in flying GA, VFR only and normally smaller airports both controlled and non- controlled. I am tired of just responding by keyboard to P3D ATC and want to use a mike to follow correct procedures for all phases of my flight. So I am not in need of SID/STAR use, only simple voice procedure. Is there an ATC program suitable for my use without the complications of IFR needs etc. I have investigated and Pilot2ATC seemed the most likely. Or am I best to simply forget an ATC program?

Rick

You can use Multi Crew Experience to interact with PF3 or even native ATC by voice recognition.

RALF9636,

Thank you for your reply. Can you direct me to a good source of info on using voice recognition for ATC in P3D. I will also google it.

Rick

4 minutes ago, paddler said:

RALF9636,

Thank you for your reply. Can you direct me to a good source of info on using voice recognition for ATC in P3D. I will also google it.

Rick

The Multi Crew Experience Website could be a good start. Just google it.

5 hours ago, paddler said:

Gentlemen,

Rick

Rick,

Like Ralf9636 says, PF3 works very well with Multi Crew Experience. You have also VoxAtc and Pilot2Atc.

I have and use these three programs according to the type of flights and the mood of the moment, they each have their advantages and disadvantages, all three are good programs and in your case they are voice controllable. For all three there are trial versions.

Richard

Richard Portier

MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel® Core i7-4770K Oc@4.50GHz x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB DDR3|Windows10 Pro 64|P3Dv5|AFS2|TrackIr5|Saitek ProFlight Yoke + Quadrant + Rudder Pedal|Thrustmaster Warthog A10|

Starting with v4.3, native voice recognition was built in (although 'experimental'). I would try this first (since it is free) -- see https://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv4/prepar3d/options/controls/using_voice_controls.html for the SDK discussion and modification of your prepar3d.cfg file and https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=130649&hilit=voice+recognition for a discussion.

Works for me!

P.

Edited by pgde

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

8 hours ago, J van E said:

That's great but you can't blame that on ProATC. 😉 I use ProATC but know my charts very well and use them all the time for every flight. ProATC didn't make me totally inept at reading charts, that's for sure! 😉

So then why to you state that figuring out an appropriate  sid or a star is such a difficult  task? 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

7 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

So then why to you state that figuring out an appropriate  sid or a star is such a difficult  task? 

thought  you stated  you made  your last  post in  a  earlier  post🙂

Edited by pete_auau

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

8 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

Can't remember having said that? At least not in this topic. Maybe some (or a long) time ago when I did not yet know how read charts? 

9 hours ago, pete_auau said:

thought  you stated  you made  your last  post in  a  earlier  post🙂

does asking this serve you or anybody else in this thread any good?

Edited by Dirk98

On 10/17/2018 at 10:48 PM, J van E said:

It shouldn’t vector you but it should follow you? Does real life ATC completely forget about planes flying a STAR? If someone leaves the correct path, shouldn’t ATC do something about it? But anyway, I have stopped flying entire STARs so vectors are more of interest to me. ProATC makes it a bit hard to just being vectored. 

I also generally like being vectored than using the STARs. How is Pro ATC vectoring?

I find the vectoring in PF3 a little too much... I mean so many heading changes instead of simple downwind/base vectors to final. I also find my self being vectored away (over 20 miles!) from the airport for no reason.

Shom

[Win 10 Pro, i7-9700K, MSI 3080Ti, 4K screen, Crucial 2666 16GB, 2 500GB Samsung EVOs 850/860]

[MSFS 2020 running with Fenix A320, PMDG 737, FSS E-175, Aerosoft CRJ]

[P3D v5.3 HF2 running with ifly 737 Max 8, FSLabs A319/320/321, Feelthere E170/175/190/195 v3, PMDG 737 NGXu ,TFDI 717, Aerosoft CRJ Pro, Majestic Dash 8, CS 757 iii, Feelthere ERJ-145, Fly The Maddog X, QW 787, PMDG 777]

Both are not perfect I’ve had ProATC send me one vector only to 180 me back and then 180 again almost in an infinite back and forth. PF3 too many vectors but at least I eventually get to the runway. Last two times I’ve used ProATC tho they vectored me pretty good... YMMV

Edited by UAL4life
Fixed a word

Problem with ProATC is that afaik the only way to get vectored is to create a flightplan without SID exit point and STAR entry point. Problem here is that ProATC ALWAYS adds those to any plan you make with it! So you have to figure out a plan without those points and it also has to have at least two points. I am doing short flights in Norway only so that can be a bit hard to figure out. Besides, sometimes I actually DO want to fly (parts of) a SID and STAR and in that case I have to do the planning all over again. I wish I could simply ask for vectors but afaik you can’t.

Other than that vectoring does well enough. ProATC adds a fake waypoint in front of the FAF and leads you to it with a few (usually small) heading and altitude changes. 

BTW It’s rather funny but after reading about how PF3 lets you fly a STAR all on your own I am beginning to get annoyed by the constant altitude changes ProATC is giving me. Specially when they are late...! Now I wish ProATC would stop bothering me whenever I do fly a STAR... LOL I prefer vectoring now because that contact with ATC is useful: guiding me all along a STAR isn’t.

Edited by Guest

4 minutes ago, J van E said:

I wish I could simply ask for vectors but afaik you can’t.

That is a feature I requested many years ago already in the Pro ATC X forum.

But support/development is …. you know 🙄

Guenter Steiner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------