Sign in to follow this  
MarkRey

Disappearing scenery objects - help needed

Flying into TJSJ(freeware), I'm seeing buildings and structures disappearing and reappearing as I pan my view around. If I move my viewpoint a long distance away the buildings reappear and stay in view. Also if I load the sim at the airport itself I'm not seeing this effect at all. It also happened at OSS Gatwick last time I flew in there.I'm stumped - if it were a memory thing then surely I'd see texture problems as well? It's entire structures that just pop out and pop into view from close up. I'd stopped the constant driver updates but went ahead and installed ATI's latest - same problem.I'm going to start rolling back latest scenery installs etc, but anybody got any ideas otherwise? It takes hours to make this problem happen so it's hard to troubleshoot :(thanks muchregards,MarkXPHomeSP2/FS9.1/3.2HT/1024mb/X700pro256

Regards,

Mark

Mark, could you be having heat problems? If you have a way of doing it, try monitoring your system temps ( one way is motherboard monitor, available at http://mbm.livewiredev.com/ ); other thing might be to take off the case sides and blow a fan directly into the works and see if that solves the problem.Ed GreenKCLThttp://www.panelshop.com/Banners/DEV.jpg

http://www.oncourse-software.co.uk/forum_images/fdc_beta.jpg

Thanks for your reply Ed. I don't think it's heat though - I always take the side off to run fs and the vid card fan slows down noticeably. Also I just cleaned all my innards - plus the latest ATI drivers seem to be greatly optimized compared to the version I had - no more hi fan speeds at the slightest cumulous cloud layers.I'm going to be watching this as I fly around to see if it's widespread - so far I know it does not happen upon landing back at KATL, and that's vastly more taxing.Thanks again, 'preciate the time :)regards,MarkXPHomeSP2/FS9.1/3.2HT/1024mb/X700pro256

Regards,

Mark

Hello Mark,I doubt if what you see is caused by heat - that would give you artifacts and not disappearing scenery objects.More likely, the scenery has been incorrectly designed. There are a couple of visibility parameters that the designer must set: - distance visibility: if set too great, then the object will display from far away, where it cannot be seen, but FS is busy rendering it anyway. If set too small, then it pops up just when you approach it. - radius visibility - this is a bounding box surrounding the object. If set too small, the object disappears as you turn and no longer have it directly before you, although it is still within your view. If set too great, it excludes all autogen objects, making the surroundings look very stark.Bad design, mostly due to lack of knowledge. But, then, it was free, wasn't it? And made by a hobbyist just like us?Best regards.Luis

Thank you Luis, for the knowledge :) - duly noted.The logician in me though does wonder why it also happened at payware OSS Gatwick. Admittedly I've only flown into TJSJ a couple of times, and parked on the other side so maybe the effect was there and I never knew til now.But Gatwick I've been to a lot and never saw this happen there. Also if these parameters are wrong how come it does not occur when I start the sim at the airports themselves? They look perfect then.Pardon my ignorance - I know squat of scenery design :)regards,MarkXPHomeSP2/FS9.1/3.2HT/1024mb/X700pro256

Regards,

Mark