Sign in to follow this  
edpatino

Any good helicopters out there?

Hi all:

I'm interested to know more about available helicopters for P3Dv4.

Could anyone please share any experiences and recommendations you may have?. In particular there is any particular piece of hardware needed to properly fly them?.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

Milviz 530F was their best flying copter, not positive it works in P3D V4, Check their website. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

1 hour ago, Bobsk8 said:

Milviz 530F was their best flying copter, not positive it works in P3D V4, Check their website. 

Yes, it does!.

Cheers, Ed

• Upvote 1

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

As for hardware , the fist thing to mind is Pedals , they are vital for hovering (although most helos do not model the Torque Induced Jaw verywell...

for helicopter the Dodo is very close to completion for P3D V4...

Jorge

Edited by aeronauta

35 minutes ago, aeronauta said:

for helicopter the Dodo is very close to completion for P3D V4...

Where can I check this out😀

MP Design Studio has their Lama (Aerospatiale SA315) out now.  I don't have it, so I can't comment on it, other than it's a helo I've always liked and I may spring for it soon.  Check out the review of it over at HeliSimmer.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

9 hours ago, aeronauta said:

newtie  here  DODO

Jorge

They have been talking about a Dodo for P3D for several years promising it was just around the corner. I will believe it when I see it. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

If you're 'prepared' to use FSX, then the Dodosim Bell 206 JetRanger is the best one you can get for any MS flight sim derivative, and as noted, it's slowly crawling its way toward a P3D V4 version being released, and when it is, it's a safe bet that it will be the one to have for P3D. Until then though, the Milviz Bell UH-1 Iroquois 'Huey', is certainly worth a look and that is available for P3D. Another cheap and cheerful one which is kind of fun is the Flysimware Bell 47 Sioux.

It's always going to be a little bit unrealistic with choppers when it comes to things like replicating VRS, etc; as you probably know, FSX/P3D isn't great at simulating the complex nuances of rotor blades. If you want a really good chopper, I'd be inclined to say that the UH1-H for DCS is probably the best one you'll find for a PC-based sim.

If you want a cheap (ish) way to control your virtual whirlybird without spending a fortune on hardware, a set of rudder pedal in combination with a joypad controller of the kind you get on consoles is not a bad choice because those joypad controllers are cheap (usually about 20 quid) but for that minimal outlay you effectively get two joystick axis, which means you can use one for the cyclic and the other for the collective pitch and they've got a ton of buttons on them which you can assign to other stuff too, moreover, you could use it as your steering tiller axis for your airliners as well, so it'll find other uses for your simulations (they're great for stuff like Euro Truck Simulator if you've got that, sim, and if not you should check it out, its kind of fun).

Another thing which is very handy with virtual choppers, is Track IR, since it allows you to look about when landing, and that makes it a hell of a lot easier and more realistic since unless we're talking about military choppers with synthetic vision avionics, choppers are very much a VFR thing when it comes to flying them.

• Like 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Thanks to all of you for the valuable input. I think I'll be shopping at MilViz!.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

The best chopper for me is the default S76 in Xplane11, which includes an autopilot for longer hauls.  P3D/FSX/MSFS always fell short in copter modeling, such as blade movement to sustain flight.  Instead of the blades moving in these sims, the copter body moves instead and takes an unrealistic downward cant.  I've flown in many different copters in real life, and their attitude during cruise was normally nose neutral, sometimes ever so slightly downward.  My longest real life copter flights were out of Vegas to and from the Grand Canyon in 2013.  Also enjoyed flying in the Bell and Robinson R44, a Bell a couple of times over SFO's waterfront and a Robinson at an airshow in Phoenix.  All that said, my favorite FSX copter was Just Flight's R44, but it was never released for P3DV4.  It did have the same nose down flying issue I've seen in other FSX copters, but it was a great hand flyer and of course such a different addition to the sim.

John

2 hours ago, edpatino said:

Thanks to all of you for the valuable input. I think I'll be shopping at MilViz!.

Cheers, Ed

Milviz 530F is a winner.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

I also like the Cera Sim UH60L.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

I will have to get the Milviz copter next payday, I like what I have seen online and on youtube, and I have always liked the MD copters since the days of Magnum PI.....  MD is based in the neighboring city to my home in Phoenix, Mesa.

John