Sign in to follow this  
HighTowers

QW 789 Ultra Long Haul Payload?

I posted this in the QW forum but no answers. Perhaps some here have flown this flight. 

So decided to attempt the ultra long haul flight YPPH-EGLL. (789) However I ended up with a payload of only 230 pax and could not put any bags or cargo on otherwise I would be over MTOW. How is this possible for this flight in the real world?  Surely they have strict weight restrictions, but the flight would have to be fairly full to make it worth it. But have less pax and their bags plus all the fuel puts you way over MTOW.  I was right at MTOW.

Here are the numbers I ended up using:

PAX  229  216lbs/pax  98kg/pax
Payload  49,500lbs 22.500kg
ZFW 337,400lbs 153.400kg
Fuel 223,700lbs /101.700kg
TOW 560,000lbs /254,540kg

Seems like the pax weights are quite high. But even with a little less heavier people, it still doesnt compute for this flight. Still cant put bags on.  What am I missing here?
I sent their bags on a cargo flight 🙂

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

Sure the pax weights there don't include bags?

I don't know what sort of load factors QF get on this flight but I would be quite surprised if they could take anywhere near full flights -- I would have imagined they'll be making their money off selling a much smaller number of expensive tickets.

15 minutes ago, skelsey said:

Sure the pax weights there don't include bags?

I don't know what sort of load factors QF get on this flight but I would be quite surprised if they could take anywhere near full flights -- I would have imagined they'll be making their money off selling a much smaller number of expensive tickets.

Well it was using the dispatch on the EFB of the 789.  But you could be right. Their 789s have 236 seats, but perhaps they are only flying with far less PAX on this flight. So it would have to be restricted to about 200 PAX to have about 6000lbs of baggage. Thats not alot for 200 people flying half way across the world.  Must be very expensive tickets to make this flight revenue worth it. 

CYVR LSZH 

Hmm, if I am not wrong, the "standard" passenger is calculated with 75kg, not 98kg. Means those 98kg is a standard passenger plus 23kg baggage, what is kind of normal on a long haul flight, no?

• Upvote 1

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

2 hours ago, HighTowers said:

Seems like the pax weights are quite high. But even with a little less heavier people, it still doesnt compute for this flight. Still cant put bags on.  What am I missing here?

I sent their bags on a cargo flight 🙂

236 seats on a Qantas 787-9 config with a reported 92% load factor gives 217 pax.

@AnkH is correct about the weights. Per this (admittedly old) document  in Appendix B, Section 2 'Key Results' most airlines use an average passenger mass (passenger including checked baggage) of 90 kg.

98kg per pax excluding baggage would mean the airlines think that we are all super heavyweight boxer sized! 🥊

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

Ok this means that the QW EFB calculation for XXX amount of pax includes the baggage at 98 kg each.  That seems reasonable  as it would then equate to an avg  75kg person with the 23kg baggage subtracted.   However its kinda weird the way it loads, that there ends up being nothing at all in the cargo holds. This weight should be Independent of pax weight on the QW EFB.

CYVR LSZH