Sign in to follow this  
HondaJet

Blue Screen of Death when starting LittleNavMap

I am running v2.0.3 on Win7 and have been using this version since it was released without problems.  Today I tried to use it and every time I started LNM it sent my sim computer to BSD showing WIN321K.sys and with error Page Fault in Non-Paged area. Then the computer restarted on it's own.

I deleted the entire LNM folder, then replaced it with my last download of the program.  When I started the program again I got the same result.  When that didn't work I deleted the appdata/roaming/ABarthel/little_navmap_db folder but that did the same thing again when I tried to start the program.

I have never had problems with this program before and have been using it for a long time. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated; love the program.

Jerry

Jerry Hayman

Hi Jerry,

I did some research and this could have many reasons.

It could be a graphic or network driver problem most likely. You could try to install older or newer drivers for graphics or network.

Does the problem also appear if you run Navconnect? If not, you could change to a networked setup if you have an old  computer/notebook around.

Alex

Thanks for your response Alex.  Yes, I already use the program on a network setup and it worked just fine until this week.  The client will open with no problems but as soon as I run the Navconnect the server computer goes to BSD.  Then I tried to run the whole program on the server computer but as soon as I start it the BSD hits again.

I have been running the same old graphics driver for years with no problems until this week.  Also I do not do Windows updates on this server computer so it was not a MS change that caused it this week.

Question, If I want to make a complete uninstall are there any other folders that should be deleted other than the AppData\Roaming\ABarthel folder and the Little Navmap folder on my C drive?

Thanks,

Jerry

Jerry Hayman

Hi Jerry,

all files create by LNM are listed here: https://albar965.gitbooks.io/little-navmap-user-manual/content/en/FILES.html

You can try to delete the cache folder "C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Local\.marble\data" too to get rid of all.

The Qt library I use to make up all the buttons, dialogs and other graphics uses DirectX behind the scenes.
You change the graphics used setting an environment variable "QT_ANGLE_PLATFORM" to either "d3d11", "d3d9" or "warp".

Not sure if that can help.

Alex

Alex, you were right it did not help that I deleted the cache and all the other files.  I still got the BSD as soon as I started LNM and the splash screen showed up.

I am not familiar with the QT_ANGLE_PLATFORM variable so don't know what to do with that.  I tried to do a search for anything with that name and it also produced a BSD while searching Explorer.

Can you provide more background on that paragraph for me?

Thanks,

Jerry

Jerry Hayman

I also tested the program on Windows 7. Strange issue.

Here is a guide on how to set environment variables for Windows 7: https://www.nextofwindows.com/how-to-addedit-environment-variables-in-windows-7

If it a problem in the graphic driver it could help to set "QT_ANGLE_PLATFORM" to "warp". No need to restart Windows after setting.

But I'm not sure. If you see the splash screen it could also be a network problem.

Alex

Alex,first thank you for your quick responses to this issue.  I will check out that link and see if that helps any.

Just to clarify in case it makes any difference - about my last post I did not even try to use my network client side for LNM.  I was just trying to start up the new install on my sim (server) computer after I had taken out all the files and folders for LNM.

Since there was no database or settings left I thought I would have to redo all the setup stuff and run database building.  That is when it crashed when the splash screen opened on the server side.

Thanks,

Jerry

Jerry Hayman

Alex, After a week of testing I have found the culprit.  I use GSX and they had an update last week which included SODE v1.6.3 update.   Apparently that update corrupted my SODE file.  I removed the SODE from my computer and tested LNM with no problems.  Then I reinstalled a fresh download of SODE v1.6.3 and all is well now. 

I am posting in case any other unsuspecting users of GSX gets a bad update from them.   I hope this will help someone else if they run into BSD crashes.

Thanks for your help with this,

Jerry

Jerry Hayman