Sign in to follow this  
CFIJose

Holy smokes!

5 minutes ago, FlyIce said:

I guess the only thing I dislike is the low resolution ortho images they'll include in the scenery. Understandable due to the download size limit. But I hope Orbx will also consider the option of including say ZL17 ortho images and charge a (reasonably) higher price. I'll be in heaven if they do that.

Or, Orbx could let users use their own orthos. I'm willing just to buy their customized autogen layer alone and pair it with my own good Ortho4XP tiles. 

It's not just the ortho resolution that's dreadful (come on people, it's 2018, give me a break), it's also that X-Plane's high-def autogen gets replaced by their subpar models straight outta 2005. All in all, pretty much exactly as expected (warmed up old-sim add-ons, so lazy) and a perfect case of why X-Plane doesn't need ORBX.

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

3 hours ago, FlyIce said:

But I hope Orbx will also consider the option of including say ZL17 ortho images and charge a (reasonably) higher price

They are ZL17 orthos with this scenery. 

3 hours ago, Colonel X said:

it's also that X-Plane's high-def autogen gets replaced by their subpar models straight outta 2005

The UK autogen models are higher resolution than the default X-Plane ones and they're not German looking either

On 10/6/2018 at 12:31 PM, jmdriskell said:

I wonder what the impact will be on overall operation.  Scenery this dense must cause a real hit?

Jim Driskell

The video itself provides the clue that framerates can be quite acceptable, depending on your Hardware.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

5 hours ago, Colonel X said:

It's not just the ortho resolution that's dreadful (come on people, it's 2018, give me a break), it's also that X-Plane's high-def autogen gets replaced by their subpar models straight outta 2005. All in all, pretty much exactly as expected (warmed up old-sim add-ons, so lazy) and a perfect case of why X-Plane doesn't need ORBX.

... the autogen looks alright here in this video i think, and even more convincing at the preview-screenshots shown at the ORBX forums. Sure there is always more that could be (and/or should be) done, but so far this scenery looks very good.

I honestly do not care whether X-Plane needs or does not need ORBX as i welcome every developer providing scenery (and/or any other add-on/s) for X-Plane.

And, back on topic: In my opinion, so far this scenery package here appears to become one of the most consistent ones available for X-Plane regarding price, size and quality. Only my two cents here though.

Cheers 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, tonywob said:

I heard it's only ZL15. Of course, will be very happy if good quality ZL17 orthos are used. I mostly do only ZL17 tiles on Ortho4XP. 

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

I don't like ortho-based scenery for various reasons, but I'll probably try this package to see if those reasons still hold up.

I need to see it in bad weather, and at sunrise, sunset, and night time, not just noon-time under sun and blue skies where ortho scenery looks its best. I need to try some helicopter landings to see if the ground gets too blurry. I'm also seeing a few "stretched" photos on vertical cliff faces that don't look good in the promo video.

On a more positive note, I do have a Bell 412 "owned" in FSEconomy in that part of the world, and I haven't been flying it. This might be worth it, just for the 3D landmarks and more region-appropriate autogen buildings. Whether I keep it loaded after buying it, will depend on how many immersion-breaking artifacts are in the scenery.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Hey Tony,

I would like to talk to you about the airports in the enclosed area (as the guy who has done default EGLL) but I can´t PM you on here...

Cheers, Jan

9 hours ago, tonywob said:

Hi Tony- John Venema stated the following on the Orbx forum:

We licensed the ground imagery from a UK supplier for TrueEarth GB. The quality that we could afford to pay for (it was insanely expensive) was probably not as crisp as the Netherlands imagery. For this reason we added a detail map layer to create definition at very low latitude to compensate for this. 

As he states, the quality that Orbx purchased for GB is not as crisp as the Netherlands imagery. Was the Netherlands imagery a higher resolution that ZL17 as you are indicating that the quality for Great Britain is ZL17?  Thanks.

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

2 hours ago, MikeT707 said:

Was the Netherlands imagery a higher resolution that ZL17 as you are indicating that the quality for Great Britain is ZL17? 

I think we are talking about significant differences here. If you increase the Zoomlevel by one, we are talking about 4 times as much data. So the raw data of NL can be better and I would still say that they are in the same Zoomlevel.

I would really be surprised if you can see the difference of the raw data after the cleanup , terrain modifications and so on. I think the simple reason that it is the second TrueEarth project will have more significance than the difference in the raw data.

I took another close look at the promo video. The ortho resolution on the ground is very blurry when you get down low enough (and I know this isn't important to some folks).

Here's that view of the seaside cliffs with the photo texture stretched on the vertical face of the cliffs, I don't see that with default XP11 (especially with HD or UHD terrain mesh):

Orbx-TrueEarth-Great-Britain-Artifacts%2

And here's how blurry the ground looks flying low over farmland. It's not just that the ground is blurry, it's the contrast in sharpness with the power line and trees:

Finally, here's an urban scene with a blurry, flattened car parking lot. Again, it's the contrast with the sharp objects and the blurry ground that's jarring:

I'm sure this package will sell well for Orbx because there are people who don't care about this. For me, it's immersion-breaking. But I may buy it anyway for the landmarks. What I'd really like -- and would pay good money for -- is this amount of customized 3D landmarks and autogen using the default (and HD/UHD) terrain mesh and landclass textures.

• Upvote 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Yep, just what I pointed out. Look at that blurry, unrefined pixel pulp. It's nothing short of ridiculous to come up with this in 2018, actually asking people to pay for this.

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

6 hours ago, Paraffin said:

I took another close look at the promo video. The ortho resolution on the ground is very blurry when you get down low enough (and I know this isn't important to some folks).

Here's that view of the seaside cliffs with the photo texture stretched on the vertical face of the cliffs, I don't see that with default XP11 (especially with HD or UHD terrain mesh):

And here's how blurry the ground looks flying low over farmland. It's not just that the ground is blurry, it's the contrast in sharpness with the power line and trees:

Finally, here's an urban scene with a blurry, flattened car parking lot. Again, it's the contrast with the sharp objects and the blurry ground that's jarring:

I'm sure this package will sell well for Orbx because there are people who don't care about this. For me, it's immersion-breaking. But I may buy it anyway for the landmarks. What I'd really like -- and would pay good money for -- is this amount of customized 3D landmarks and autogen using the default (and HD/UHD) terrain mesh and landclass textures.

1 hour ago, Colonel X said:

Yep, just what I pointed out. Look at that blurry, unrefined pixel pulp. It's nothing short of ridiculous to come up with this in 2018, actually asking people to pay for this.

Understandable, however:

Although the resolution of orthos is important, i honestly think that the resolution here ain't that bad. It is sufficient and offers a well balanced compromise in regards to price and file size. I for sure will continue using great tools such as Ortho4XPlane or so butas  my spare time is limited, i honestly rather enjoy flying around in the sim than fiddling around with any of these (great) tools longer than necessary ...  therefore i very much welcome developers offering overall(!) convincing scenery packages for X-Plane, no matter if they are based on photoreal layers or landclass based. If based on photoreal layers though, i also expect colourcorrection to be done accordingly, roads and autogen to appear in a convincing manner and 3D-objects to be modelled carefully. Now all of this is the case here and will be available for an overall reasonable price. No more - but - no less either in my opinion.

Cheers

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Janov said:

I would like to talk to you about the airports in the enclosed area (as the guy who has done default EGLL) but I can´t PM you on here..

Sorry Jan, I've re-enabled messenger. Not sure why it was disabled.

wouldn't Z17 look blurry at low altitude ? 

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus