I took another close look at the promo video. The ortho resolution on the ground is very blurry when you get down low enough (and I know this isn't important to some folks).

Here's that view of the seaside cliffs with the photo texture stretched on the vertical face of the cliffs, I don't see that with default XP11 (especially with HD or UHD terrain mesh):

Orbx-TrueEarth-Great-Britain-Artifacts%2

And here's how blurry the ground looks flying low over farmland. It's not just that the ground is blurry, it's the contrast in sharpness with the power line and trees:

Finally, here's an urban scene with a blurry, flattened car parking lot. Again, it's the contrast with the sharp objects and the blurry ground that's jarring:

I'm sure this package will sell well for Orbx because there are people who don't care about this. For me, it's immersion-breaking. But I may buy it anyway for the landmarks. What I'd really like -- and would pay good money for -- is this amount of customized 3D landmarks and autogen using the default (and HD/UHD) terrain mesh and landclass textures.

• Upvote 1

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Yep, just what I pointed out. Look at that blurry, unrefined pixel pulp. It's nothing short of ridiculous to come up with this in 2018, actually asking people to pay for this.

6 hours ago, Paraffin said:

I took another close look at the promo video. The ortho resolution on the ground is very blurry when you get down low enough (and I know this isn't important to some folks).

Here's that view of the seaside cliffs with the photo texture stretched on the vertical face of the cliffs, I don't see that with default XP11 (especially with HD or UHD terrain mesh):

And here's how blurry the ground looks flying low over farmland. It's not just that the ground is blurry, it's the contrast in sharpness with the power line and trees:

Finally, here's an urban scene with a blurry, flattened car parking lot. Again, it's the contrast with the sharp objects and the blurry ground that's jarring:

I'm sure this package will sell well for Orbx because there are people who don't care about this. For me, it's immersion-breaking. But I may buy it anyway for the landmarks. What I'd really like -- and would pay good money for -- is this amount of customized 3D landmarks and autogen using the default (and HD/UHD) terrain mesh and landclass textures.

1 hour ago, Colonel X said:

Yep, just what I pointed out. Look at that blurry, unrefined pixel pulp. It's nothing short of ridiculous to come up with this in 2018, actually asking people to pay for this.

Understandable, however:

Although the resolution of orthos is important, i honestly think that the resolution here ain't that bad. It is sufficient and offers a well balanced compromise in regards to price and file size. I for sure will continue using great tools such as Ortho4XPlane or so butas  my spare time is limited, i honestly rather enjoy flying around in the sim than fiddling around with any of these (great) tools longer than necessary ...  therefore i very much welcome developers offering overall(!) convincing scenery packages for X-Plane, no matter if they are based on photoreal layers or landclass based. If based on photoreal layers though, i also expect colourcorrection to be done accordingly, roads and autogen to appear in a convincing manner and 3D-objects to be modelled carefully. Now all of this is the case here and will be available for an overall reasonable price. No more - but - no less either in my opinion.

Cheers

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Janov said:

I would like to talk to you about the airports in the enclosed area (as the guy who has done default EGLL) but I can´t PM you on here..

Sorry Jan, I've re-enabled messenger. Not sure why it was disabled.

Looks pretty crisp to me ...

4-045ee57b4b7fcc18b17967e77fc9c144.jpg

If you right-click on the above image and display it in its own browser window at full size it looks very impressive indeed. I'm sure there are parts of their source data which is so-so but you're missing the point. 95% or more of XP users don't have the time, skills or inclination to fiddle with Ortho4XP and fill their HDDs with terabytes of data and then end up with questionable object placement and trees all over the place in a random manner. This is a turn-key out of the box solution that Orbx will sell in droves. Hats off to them I say!

Edited by fta2017
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Colonel X said:

That's why I walked away from P3D and FSX. Paying over and over for the latest and greatest scenery, only to be disappointed  as Colonel X has stated. Skip

4 hours ago, fta2017 said:

If you right-click on the above image and display it in its own browser window at full size it looks very impressive indeed. I'm sure there are parts of their source data which is so-so but you're missing the point. 95% or more of XP users don't have the time, skills or inclination to fiddle with Ortho4XP and fill their HDDs with terabytes of data and then end up with questionable object placement and trees all over the place in a random manner. This is a turn-key out of the box solution that Orbx will sell in droves. Hats off to them I say!

Hat's off to Tony for making it possible :-)

• Upvote 2

I wonder if you could use Bing ZL17 orthos and get Ortho4XP to use overlay data from the Orbx package.  Now that'd be nice!

That's exactly I was talking about. I wan to use my own ortho tiles with Orbx overlay. 

17 hours ago, FlyIce said:

I wan to use my own ortho tiles with Orbx overlay. 

Yes, you can do this

Did anyone spot the red/white lighthouse on the banks of the Thames right near City Airport? Hows that for an immersion breaker lol

• Upvote 1

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 1:00 PM, fta2017 said:

I had the opportunity to fly this for a good 20mins at Cosford.  I would agree that in the screenshots highlighted in this thread, some of the ground looks uncrisp.  Having said that, when I flew at fairly low altitude (approx. 3k ft) over an area I know intimately, I really didn't get that feeling.  

Just flying a little tour from Southampton via Shoreham and then turning north into London. Did the same flight in P3D V4 with their England region before to have a comparison. But..... there absolutely is no comparison to what I am just seeing now. GB South wins in all aspects, from visuals over performance over the overall quality. It is just so amazing… I remember I was not nearly that impressed with True Earth Neverlands… Of course, only a first impression, but it is just amazingly gorgeous.. pictures just don´t do it justice. And the textures are pretty crisp as far as I can say so far.  OK, enough for now, enjoying a few more minutes before I have to go to bed (is 0:35 in Germany now). 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

For anyone who gets this, I hope you enjoy it. It's been a long time coming and a lot of work 🙂

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, tonywob said:

For anyone who gets this, I hope you enjoy it. It's been a long time coming and a lot of work 🙂

congrats tony

yes, congrats and many thanks from my side, too, Tony. I already admired your previous stuff, however, this has raised the bar to a new level.

Now it´s after 2 a.m. and I had to force myself to let go of this beautiful scenery. Tomorrow I will need to check one or two things with my custom scenery setup as I was missing Westminster Abbey, Buckingham Palace, and  the millennium dome (at least the last two should be there according to the product description and ORBX screenshot (and also as part of LR London landmarks or a port from their England region maybe?). But even without, this was the best representation of London I have seen so far in any sim. Impressive!

Oh, and one "funny" thing. Although I thought I had disabled my previous UK photoscenery before starting my flight, I missed one tile by accident…. You cannot imagine my face when there was this hard break between ORBX crisp images and the washed out ortho tile with XP11 standard autogen and trees all over fields again…. Luckily I immediately KNEW that this had to be a mistake on MY side… when I reloaded my flight, I was happy all over again. 

As I already said above, I really liked True Earth Netherlands and I love und use both my sims, but True Earth GB South is so much more vivid and alive thanks to Toni´s XP experience and all the hard work which got into this product. The XP engine really shows its strength with all this quality, and it is so relaxing and awesome when you can use all the good stuff in a sim that has clearly no issues with autogen loading and blurry ortho images…  even over London with all settings on maximum and extended shadow range / maps, my frames were far more than acceptable and way higher and more stable than in its London counterpart of the FTX England region.

I am looking forward to exploring a lot of south England and Wales the next days and weeks to come. Thanks!!!

• Like 1

27.35 GB - if anyone, like me, has XP11 via Steam, you'll probably have two XP11 selections when you open FTX Central.  Be careful to select the one with the path via Steam\SteamApps\common\XP11.  Otherwise it goes to  'Your name\documents\XP11 which isn't good. 

For anyone wondering about FPS.......

• Upvote 1

Wondering how that compares to a 1080, some people just have to much money...whats that $2000 for 5 fps ... I wonder

3 hours ago, mjrhealth said:

Wondering how that compares to a 1080, some people just have to much money...whats that $2000 for 5 fps ... I wonder

Mine is converting at the moment. I'll post my FPS as soon as I have fired up the sim. I have a GTX1080ti + i7 6700k@4.5GHz

Edit:

Added some images and my settings.

• FPS is very good in my opinion
  • 45 - 70 FPS depending on the view and using this aircraft
  • Also running World Traffic plugin 
  • Screen Resolution is 3440x1440 Asus Predator monitor with G-SYNC

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

Edited by Glenn_C
Added some images and extra text

Had a couple of hours' flying time in an area I know fairly well, and I'm very impressed. Two hourglass moments, but they were very brief (less than a second), and otherwise everything seems pretty smooth. Also tried it in VR, and again I like it so far. Have a look at the M25 at around 5 pm - it's not exactly a car park, but the road traffic is certainly very heavy.

Dugald