Sign in to follow this  
whitav8

Quality Wings 787 - switch from LNAV/VNAV to LOC/GS

Fellow Quality Wings 787 flyers, I don't always get a switch from LNAV/VNAV to plain LOC/GS at approach even though I push APP on the MCP. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Dave W.

PC=9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070  VR=HP Reverb|   Software = Windows 10 | Flight SIms = P3D, CAP2, DCS World, IL-2,  Aerofly FS2

Not really sure if this could be your issue, but if the LNAV course parallels the localizer course sometimes it may be necessary to switch to heading select to help with intercepting it. 

Here are the guidelines from the flight crew training manual:

APP mode should not be selected until:
• the ILS is tuned and identified
• the airplane is on an inbound intercept heading
• both localizer and glide slope pointers appear on the attitude display in the
proper position
• clearance for the approach has been received.
The glide slope may be captured before the localizer in some airplanes. The glide
slope may be captured from either above or below. Glide slope capture does not
occur if the intercept angle to the localizer is greater than 80°. The maximum
intercept angle for the localizer is 120°. To avoid unwanted glide slope capture,
LOC mode may be selected initially, followed by the APP mode.

When using LNAV to intercept the final approach course, ensure raw data
indicates localizer interception to avoid descending on the glide slope with LOC
not captured. If needed, use HDG SEL/TRK SEL or HDG HOLD/TRK HOLD to
establish an intercept heading to the final approach course.

• Like 1

Brian W

KPAE

Thanks much - I'll try to make sure all those steps are followed

Dave W.

PC=9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070  VR=HP Reverb|   Software = Windows 10 | Flight SIms = P3D, CAP2, DCS World, IL-2,  Aerofly FS2

I also found it odd at first that the 787 is so automated that it does not even have a separate rose or arc mode on the ND. The only indication of the localizer/GS is on the PFD.

Shez

Shez Ansari

Windows 11; CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K; GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti 11GB; MB: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5; RAM: 16GB; HD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD; Display: ASUS 4K 28", Asus UHD 26"

59 minutes ago, ShezA said:

I also found it odd at first that the 787 is so automated that it does not even have a separate rose or arc mode on the ND. The only indication of the localizer/GS is on the PFD.

Shez

Thank you I thought I was going insane

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |