Here's the problem with that logic, in the computer industry there are significant changes / enhancements on average ever 18 months, so you could be waiting indefinitely for the next best thing.  Determine your budget and get the best bang you can for your money now.  You could wait until 2019, and then find out shortly after you make your purchases that something better and faster is just 6 months out.  It's a never ending cycle.  I just decided to upgrade my equipment every 5 years.  It's done me well so far and am happy with it.

Building a full scale 737-800 Simulator running P3D v5.x 210 degree wrap around screenspacer.png

Jason Lohrenz (@lohrenz737) • Instagram photos and videos

Lohrenz 737 Simulator Project (lohrenzsimulator.com)

I would agree that waiting for PCIe 4 could/would reap rewards depending on personal budgets, however:

There are many factors that I consider, here are a few things it depends on for me.

First if you are happy with the performance you're getting now, then wait until 2019.

Second, its depending on what sim you fly. For example, I fly P3Dv4.3 and It runs great for me, but if P3D v5  (or 4.4) comes out this year with features that brings my current PC to its knees, then 2019 is way too far away for me; I will get the latest and greatest from Jetline Systems right away.

Third, buying new tech within the first few months always results in paying more (too much) than you needed to, if possible wait for the rush and whirlwind to subside. But for me personally I do what I must to have an excellent simming experience, that's why I go with Jetline. 

Now if I see reports and proof that PCIe 4 is making a huge (Like 100 extra FPS) difference in P3D then I will buy it the same day no matter what the price, even if I just bought another system a month before!👨‍✈️

I agree.

If something highly significant is just a month or two away  fair enough. But waiting many months for the next best thing is a never ending cycle. The next best thing is always around the corner.

Edited by martin-w
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, martin-w said:

I agree.

If something highly significant is just a month or two away  fair enough. But waiting many months for the next best thing is a never ending cycle. The next best thing is always around the corner.

It does beg the question: are the 2080's going to be obsolete in 6 months? Are we going to need PCI ver 4 and a 2180 to fully appreciate the new capabilities introduced with the 2080's?

Edited by FunknNasty

14 minutes ago, FunknNasty said:

It does beg the question: are the 2080's going to be obsolete in 6 months? Are we going to need PCI ver 4 and a 2180 to fully appreciate the new capabilities introduced with the 2080's?

At this point we don't even have much reason to expect much out of the 2080 cards at least for Prepar3d. I know the kids are excited about pretty fire and explosions but in the sim world we try to avoid both of those in order to keep us and our virtural passengers alive. 😀

Edited by shivers9
  • Like 1

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

1 hour ago, martin-w said:

I agree.

Yes it is true but in this case,based on the principle of this evolution, it shoud improve  FPS and reduce  blurries. I may be wrong but it seems logical.  Does anybody know if PCI express 3 had a significant  graphic performance boost over PCI express 2 (which I have..)? If it is the case, then PCI expresss 4 should be worth waiting.

You may get the answer this week the Z390 launches this week.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

On 10/6/2018 at 3:26 PM, yankeegolf3 said:

Hello,

I've read that PCI express 4 will be released in 2019. My understanding is that it will dramatically encrease the data flow between the CPU and the GPU. Don't you think that it is wise to wait for this new feature before upgrading my  PC?

THX

I did testing of PCI-e 3 and compared to (simulated) PCI-e 2 back when Haswell launched.  For FSX at least, there is no measurable performance improvement, though I did notice faster texture loading.  I would expect the same for PCI-e 4.  In other words: don't bother waiting for this technology.  If the performance and features you want are available today, buy today.  That's an axiom that should always be applied to technology purchase decisions.

• Like 1

PCI 4 is expected to be sometime 2019-2020 as it`s still being tested, and PCI 5 is due to be ratified sometime next year. And DDR5 Memory may make It in Q4 19 who know`s MB manufactures may wait and tie the two together on a new MB.

Edited by rjfry

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

I suspect this is more about reducing (or maintaining) the raw number of PCIe lanes out of the CPU rather than increasing an individual graphics device's bandwidth. I don't know of anything that would require PCIe x16 over x8 or x4. I'm pretty certain no one is saturating PCIe x16 with P3D or (definitely) FSX.

Cheers!

Luke

• Like 1

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.