Sign in to follow this  
louisgr

ILS vs RNAV

Hi,

I have a question related to instrument approaches. I fly the Learjet 25D with the GTN 750. It does ILS but the auto pilot does not have WaaS (LPV) capabilities. I have ATC assigns SIDs, STARs and Approaches. I have Force Pilot Runway Selection unchecked. It seems that pilot2ATC favors RNAV approaches to ILS in the few flights I have done. Since I cannot do WaaS approach I'm wondering what are my options. I want to keep it has realistic as possible. So can I just call Approach and ask for the same runway but with the ILS instead ? I assume that this would be how it is done in real life. What about "Force Pilot Runway Selection" ? Should I leave that unchecked or ?

many thanks for your help,

cheers

Louis

P2A actually favors ILS approaches over RNAV approaches, when all other factors are equal.  In many cases, only some of the runways at an airport will have ILS and if other factors have P2A select a runway without an ILS, it will give you the highest precision approach to that runway.

If you want to get the ILS approach, then checking the "Force Pilot Runway Selection" option and entering the ILS approach into your flight plan will do the trick.

You should also be able to request the ILS approach verbally.  In most cases, it will work best if you request vectors to the ILS verbally so that the ground track that ATC calculates is the same as the one you will be flying.

Dave

Hi Dave,

I confirm that ILS is favored over RNAV. I tried a few times with success. No clue what I was doing wrong before. Anyway thanks for the support.

cheers

Louis