Sign in to follow this  
Contactdepture

747 Brake Temp Problem

I have the V.III version of the 747 and I have been taxiing without undo use of the brakes, didn't even go that far, but they heat up nonetheless. I do not use pedals , just a joystick and a squeeze brake lever.  Sometimes it happens after landing too. Didn't happen much on the earlier version. What's going on?? Anyway to turn it of

Tx

Ken

The problem is that with a lever, there's really no gradual control of the brakes as you would have with the pedals. It's either all or nothing, so as soon as you pull that lever, you're instantly slamming down the brakes. Only thing you can really do is pull the lever, and then release it immediately, see what happens.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

Don't you have an available axis somewhere on your joystick or throttle ?  I use an old throttle  as brake. With FSUIPC you can program this as an axis and brake adjustable 1 to 100% percent..

b rdgs / Dick

5 hours ago, Contactdepture said:

I have the V.III version of the 747 and I have been taxiing without undo use of the brakes, didn't even go that far, but they heat up nonetheless. I do not use pedals , just a joystick and a squeeze brake lever.  Sometimes it happens after landing too. Didn't happen much on the earlier version. What's going on?? Anyway to turn it of

Tx

Ken

IMHO There should be a way to disable this feature, is not realistic with a joystick, the only advice that I can give you, if you get stuck you can always repair via FMC.

There is a cool down option and repair tire that fix instantly the problem.

MENU/FS ACTIONS/GROUND MAINTENANCE, hit NEXT PAGE, then select COOL BRAKES at LSK 1L.
The path with FSUIPC well, is annoyng to program every costum aircraft, that you always forget to backup upon reinstall or get corrupt.

• Like 1

Well Fabrizio, I have different experiences with FSUIPC. I do not find it annoying but I am very happy with it as a very useful tool. 

I have an automated backup every day at startup of the system so I never forget. I do not  need to reinstall anything ever as whenever something goes corrupt I go back in my backups to the day things were still working fine.

b rdgs / Dick

=

I too have the same problem with break temp and tire pressure (always together).

I hardly make to runway without FMC options of cool brakes and repair tire.

It has nothing to do with weight of the aircraft, fuel load, speed of taxiing etc.

I don't use FSUIPC in P3Dv4. 

I wish there was a way to make it a choice in FMC options as many other simulation options for those who do not have pedals.

Don't you agree, it is not realistic to repair tires on the taxiway. Cool brakes is OK. There are the brakes fans.

Bill

• Like 1

C:|mydocuments\mypictures\my signature.htm

In the FWIW department, instead of using my joystick brake switch (trigger), I use the keyboard "." [period] key.  It is much more accurate since I can tap it quickly and simulate gradual braking.  Makes taxiing much more manageable for me in the PMDG heavies.

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

32 minutes ago, dmiannay said:

In the FWIW department, instead of using my joystick brake switch (trigger), I use the keyboard "." [period] key.  It is much more accurate since I can tap it quickly and simulate gradual braking.

Pretty sure you can do the same thing with the trigger on a joystick. At least, that's how I've always done it when I was using one.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

You need to get good rudder pedals and a yoke.  I don't see the logic in buying an expensive and realistic simulation like the PMDG 747, and flying it with a joystick that twist for rudder and has on/off switches for brakes, then feeling bad because it is not working realistically.

• Like 1

For those of us that use rudder pedals, what is the recommended brake Sensitivity and Null recommended in native P3D brake calibration? Maybe this will help eliminate the brake overheat issues for some of us.

Dan

i9-13900K / Asus Maximus Hero Z790 / RTX 4090 FE / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB DDR5-6400 CL32 / Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / EVGA 1000W G3, 80+ Gold / Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower / Arctic P14 PWM Case Fans / LG C2 42 Inch Class 4K OLED TV/Monitor / Windows 11 Pro

1 hour ago, signmanbob said:

You need to get good rudder pedals and a yoke.  I don't see the logic in buying an expensive and realistic simulation like the PMDG 747, and flying it with a joystick that twist for rudder and has on/off switches for brakes, then feeling bad because it is not working realistically.

A yoke and rudder pedals take up a considerable amount of space. Not everyone has that kind of space available. I know my old desk certainly didn't have that kind of space available, it wasn't a very big desk. Not an issue with the desk I have now.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

1 hour ago, Wise87 said:

For those of us that use rudder pedals, what is the recommended brake Sensitivity and Null recommended in native P3D brake calibration? Maybe this will help eliminate the brake overheat issues for some of us.

I keep it simple, full deflection set and centered set.  The key is understanding how much deflection of the toe brake is required to apply the lightest level of braking.  Say for example braking becomes active when the toe brake moves an inch.... and full braking is five inches.  In this case almost all of your braking should be 1-2 in and full braking only in an emergency.

Dan Downs KCRP

1 minute ago, downscc said:

I keep it simple, full deflection set and centered set.  The key is understanding how much deflection of the toe brake is required to apply the lightest level of braking.  Say for example braking becomes active when the toe brake moves an inch.... and full braking is five inches.  In this case almost all of your braking should be 1-2 in and full braking only in an emergency.

I get that much but sensitivity and null also play a key factor on how much brake is used. If I use the full 127 on sensitivity and 0 on null than simply tapping the brake will set them to max correct? That why I was wondering what PMDG recommends like they suggest with there flight control calibration.

Dan

i9-13900K / Asus Maximus Hero Z790 / RTX 4090 FE / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB DDR5-6400 CL32 / Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / EVGA 1000W G3, 80+ Gold / Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower / Arctic P14 PWM Case Fans / LG C2 42 Inch Class 4K OLED TV/Monitor / Windows 11 Pro

1 minute ago, Wise87 said:

If I use the full 127 on sensitivity and 0 on null than simply tapping the brake will set them to max correct?

Absolutely not.  The so called sensitivity is actually the span.  You want full deflection of the control to equate to a signal or value that means full deflection.  Correctly set the span and the center or zero.  Then a slight deflection of the control is translated into a brake input that equates to slight braking.

Dan Downs KCRP