Sign in to follow this  
Contactdepture

747 Brake Temp Problem

1 minute ago, downscc said:

Absolutely not.  The so called sensitivity is actually the span.  You want full deflection of the control to equate to a signal or value that means full deflection.  Correctly set the span and the center or zero.  Then a slight deflection of the control is translated into a brake input that equates to slight braking.

Gotcha, thanks.

Dan

i9-13900K / Asus Maximus Hero Z790 / RTX 4090 FE / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB DDR5-6400 CL32 / Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / EVGA 1000W G3, 80+ Gold / Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower / Arctic P14 PWM Case Fans / LG C2 42 Inch Class 4K OLED TV/Monitor / Windows 11 Pro

1 hour ago, Captain Kevin said:

A yoke and rudder pedals take up a considerable amount of space. Not everyone has that kind of space available. I know my old desk certainly didn't have that kind of space available, it wasn't a very big desk. Not an issue with the desk I have now.

My point is that if someone expects these expensive, accurate, in-depth aircraft simulations to work realistically, they also need to have the hardware that is conducive to that result.

If you only have room for a "twisty-joystick/with trigger", then you are not benefitting from the extensive realism and expensive coding that is built into the simulation.  It is simply counter-productive. You just have to be aware of that.

With the PMDG 747-8, you have to have rudder pedals that can gently increase brake pressure.  It is exciting because you actually have to learn how to slow down and stop without overheating your disc-brakes and blowing out your tires. If you look outside, your disc-brakes will be actually glowing bright red! It's made to be that way.

I had to learn to use "autobrakes", reversers and spoilers to slow the aircraft quickly when landing. Then when it reaches around 60kts, retract the reversers and barely touch the toe-brakes to release the autobrakes. Then just let it roll for a while with the spoiler slowing it down.  When it gets around 30kts, just ever-so-lightly touch the toe-brakes to bring it down to a speed where you can turn off of the high-speed exit and bring the "Sovereign Queen" to a stop.

One has to have good hardware to reap the benefit of these expensive deep-system simulations.

I use all PFC and JetMax hardware and it truly adds immensely to the experience.

Bob

1 hour ago, signmanbob said:

My point is that if someone expects these expensive, accurate, in-depth aircraft simulations to work realistically, they also need to have the hardware that is conducive to that result.

If you only have room for a "twisty-joystick/with trigger", then you are not benefitting from the extensive realism and expensive coding that is built into the simulation.  It is simply counter-productive. You just have to be aware of that.

With the PMDG 747-8, you have to have rudder pedals that can gently increase brake pressure.

Sure, but at the same time, you can't really tell people they can't fly the PMDG 747 just because they only have a joystick. I didn't have a yoke and pedals until July of last year. By that logic, should I have just not flown the PMDG 747-400 prior to that? Might be counter-productive, but sometimes, you just have to work with what you've got. Not necessarily easy, but I've managed. And with my yoke and pedals being at home, if I wanted to fly the PMDG 747-8 right now, I would have to use a joystick anyhow because I'm living in the back of a truck right now, so I certainly don't have the space for a yoke and pedals in here.

• Like 1

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

3 hours ago, Captain Kevin said:

Sure, but at the same time, you can't really tell people they can't fly the PMDG 747 just because they only have a joystick. I didn't have a yoke and pedals until July of last year. By that logic, should I have just not flown the PMDG 747-400 prior to that? Might be counter-productive, but sometimes, you just have to work with what you've got. Not necessarily easy, but I've managed. And with my yoke and pedals being at home, if I wanted to fly the PMDG 747-8 right now, I would have to use a joystick anyhow because I'm living in the back of a truck right now, so I certainly don't have the space for a yoke and pedals in here.

Keven, you are mis-understanding what I'm saying.

I'm saying that you can't expect a high-system depth, realistic simulation to operate like it should if your hardware is sub-par.

People using a twisty-joystick with on/off clicky buttons for brakes are unhappy because PMDG has thoughtlessly made a Boeing 747-8 simulation that burns its brakes up and blows all the tires every time that they land it. 

They feel that this is a defect with the simulation and it should have the capability of turning off this failure, when the brakes burning and the tires blowing is not a failure, it is realism.

If you land a real 747-8 and just slam on the brakes like an on/off switch, the airport firetrucks will have to put out your burning and blown tires every time. That's realism, not failure.

I'm not saying that if you have a twisty-joystick you shouldn't buy the PMDG 747.  Everyone wants this aircraft! Just be creative when putting on the brakes, maybe pumping the button quickly or something.

The realism and pleasure of owning this aircraft is compromised when poor or less than adequate hardware controllers are used.

7 minutes ago, signmanbob said:

Just be creative when putting on the brakes, maybe pumping the button quickly or something.

Pretty much what I've had to do and what I suggested.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

1 hour ago, Captain Kevin said:

Pretty much what I've had to do and what I suggested.

I agree Keven, but it sure won't give you the ultimate PMDG experience.😉

10 minutes ago, signmanbob said:

I agree Keven, but it sure won't give you the ultimate PMDG experience.😉

I'm not disputing that, but sometimes, you have to make do with what you've got. If I could fit a yoke and pedals inside this truck, I would. I'm just incredibly space limited in here with no hope of gaining more space (I don't own the truck, I just drive it).

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

9 minutes ago, Captain Kevin said:

I'm not disputing that, but sometimes, you have to make do with what you've got. If I could fit a yoke and pedals inside this truck, I would. I'm just incredibly space limited in here with no hope of gaining more space (I don't own the truck, I just drive it).

Wow!  You driven' truck and flightsimming too? That's pretty hardcore. 😊

7 hours ago, signmanbob said:

Wow!  You driven' truck and flightsimming too? That's pretty hardcore. 😊

Yeah, if I have time to fly, I will. Lately, I haven't had time to do that, so most of the time, I only get to fly when I'm at home.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

3 hours ago, Captain Kevin said:

Yeah, if I have time to fly, I will. Lately, I haven't had time to do that, so most of the time, I only get to fly when I'm at home.

I enjoy American Truck Simulator every now and then also. I even have a steering wheel with pedals and an Eaton Roadranger shifter. So there is a lot of us trying to simulate what you do for a living too.

I make signs for a living and there is no one that simulates doing that in there spare time. 😄

1 hour ago, signmanbob said:

I enjoy American Truck Simulator every now and then also. I even have a steering wheel with pedals and an Eaton Roadranger shifter. So there is a lot of us trying to simulate what you do for a living too.

Ironically, I also have American Truck Simulator, although I don't have a wheel and pedals to go with it. I haven't touched it in ages, though. Incidentally, I drive the same truck in American Truck Simulator as I do in real life.

• Like 2

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

I'm not understanding where the problems are coming from. My flight sim room is occupied by a live-in niece right now and I've been ousted to a corner desk in the office, so rather than full yoke and pedals I'm using an old Saitek X45.  The trigger button operates the brakes.

If you have an on/off brake setup, just pulse it. Be a human ABS module. Quck on/off stabs of the brakes mimics a steady lighter pressure. The only time I overheat the brakes is if I RTO close to V1 for some reason, even without a graduated brake control.

One thing I always keep in mind, there are people who somehow fly smoothly using only a keyboard. I don't know how they do it, but it's something to remember when you're disappointed with the hardware you do have.

• Like 2

On 10/7/2018 at 12:47 PM, signmanbob said:

With the PMDG 747-8, you have to have rudder pedals that can gently increase brake pressure.  It is exciting because you actually have to learn how to slow down and stop without overheating your disc-brakes and blowing out your tires. If you look outside, your disc-brakes will be actually glowing bright red! It's made to be that way.

I had to learn to use "autobrakes", reversers and spoilers to slow the aircraft quickly when landing. Then when it reaches around 60kts, retract the reversers and barely touch the toe-brakes to release the autobrakes. Then just let it roll for a while with the spoiler slowing it down.  When it gets around 30kts, just ever-so-lightly touch the toe-brakes to bring it down to a speed where you can turn off of the high-speed exit and bring the "Sovereign Queen" to a stop.

One has to have good hardware to reap the benefit of these expensive deep-system simulations.

I use all PFC and JetMax hardware and it truly adds immensely to the experience.

Bob

Behold: the nonsensical ramblings of a PMDG fiend.

Nonsense. Arrant nonsense. 

You operate under the assumption that fidelity and lack of rudder pedals are mutually exclusive. FSLabs has proven that isn’t the case; their A320 caters to both ruder pedal users and joystick-only pilots, and is extolled as the most realistic piece of simulation software there is.  

How I love drawing parallels to hold PMDG to account. 

Here's something to think about, although I don't know if PMDG 's coding eliminates this aspect of FSX, and my apologies if it does...

By default, ABS or anti-skid is not activated in FSX. Press the trigger or key to apply brakes and watch the wheels lock up as maximum braking is applied.

Program a key command to activate anti-skid and then when you press the brake key or hold down the trigger the aircraft acts like it has max autobrake applied. This may help the user better modulate the brake temps...

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

9 hours ago, SimPilot221 said:

Behold: the nonsensical ramblings of a PMDG fiend.

Nonsense. Arrant nonsense. 

You operate under the assumption that fidelity and lack of rudder pedals are mutually exclusive. FSLabs has proven that isn’t the case; their A320 caters to both ruder pedal users and joystick-only pilots, and is extolled as the most realistic piece of simulation software there is.  

How I love drawing parallels to hold PMDG to account. 

Whatever...I wouldn't fly FSLabs without good hardware either. I'm not saying that a twisty-stick won't work, it's just not the best option.

Once you have good hardware, you'll wonder how you did without it.