Sign in to follow this  
emko

New computer: Ryzen 5 + Rx580?

Just be aware that If you buy an  AMD video card the AMD Crimson Softwares used to control the card (this is the equivalent to Nvidia Control Panel) is incompatible with P3D under certain circumstances as it will cause video artifacts.

These happens mostly with defects regarding the particle redraw, making things over the distance to appear deformed or delayed.

The problem happens because the AMD software wants to control the FPS and performance of the video card and it conflicts with PD3V4 target frames.

There is a way around, remove the Crimson software and drivers and let Windows 10 to download the Microsoft drivers instead.

The advice above is based on experience after 7 support tickets handled this year regarding effects particles defects experienced.

Regards,

Simbol 

Thank you for your inputs!

As djbully suggested, I decided to go with faster RAM - 1x16GB 3000MHz CL15. The 3000MHz should be the fastest Ryzen 5 2nd gen can handle, according to the spec. Or am I missing anything?

47 minutes ago, simbol said:

Just be aware that If you buy an  AMD video card the AMD Crimson Softwares used to control the card (this is the equivalent to Nvidia Control Panel) is incompatible with P3D under certain circumstances as it will cause video artifacts.

Thanks!!! I will definitely check that. TBH I am sitting on a fence whether Rx580 or 1060. I'm yet to have a good experience with an ATI card. What I like on Rx580 is just the bigger VRAM.

3 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

I knew 3 simmers that got PCs over the years, with AMD chips, and wound up replacing them with Intel PC's. That's enough for me. 

What kind of CPU was that? AMD is a bit of hit and miss. I remember having two Opteron based servers at work, one Bulldozer 1st gen based and one Piledriver based. Bull was pretty bad, we jokingly said 'Paid nothing, got nothing' (compared to Xeon). Pile was pretty OK. Ryzen 2nd gen is based on Zen+ architecture (Pinnacle Ridge), they should be pretty good.

Edited by emko
  • Like 1

I built myself a Ryzen 5 1600x system almost one year ago to the day, after exhaustive research vs. Intel and the Ryzen 7. 

I am a happy camper: paired with a GeForce 1080, Acer Predator 2k monitor, Samsung SSD and the fastest RAM the motherboard supports I saw an easy 50 FPS with a stock P3D installation. 

I run Orbx products, ActiveSky, and a few other scenery packages. I have the frame limiter set to 35 FPS and the majority of the time I have a smooth flight experience. Most of my settings are on high/ultra/towards the right side of the slider and I avoid AI traffic, ships, etc.

I do believe Intel still has the edge on speed because of the way P3D is engineered, but I am 100% happy with my Ryzen system. 

Edited by snpower
  • Like 2

ATP BE300 BE400 CE500 CE560XL DA20 MU300

15 hours ago, exeodus said:

No need to get a M.2 SSD, you can get a standard SSD for cheaper and put those extra funds towards something else.

For his build you are correct.

But with a triple view setup even a 6Gb SSD C drive is hitting 100% in detailed scenery. Therefore I switched to a 2TB m2 1800/1800.

Adfitional : a 7900k can do around 350 and a regular SSD around 520-560. However, with lots of data a SSD like that can drop to 25% of its max performance. To be at least at 350 I needed 4X 350= 1400..,

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Intel CPUs are optimized for 2400hz memory it`s in the spec sheet, Linus did a test on YouTube when using XMP profile when you go past 3200hz there is no gain the CPU can only crunch the data at a max speed, trying to push data in faster than the CPU can handle will not go, even de8bar has done the same test and to quote him don't waste your money better spent on a faster CPU or drive. 

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

14 hours ago, emko said:

As djbully suggested, I decided to go with faster RAM - 1x16GB 3000MHz CL15. The 3000MHz should be the fastest Ryzen 5 2nd gen can handle, according to the spec. Or am I missing anything?

Yes, you miss the fact that using 1x16GB will not allow you to use DualChannel. Although the use of DualChannel might be not that important, I would certainly go for 2x8GB instead of 1x16GB. At least for Intel platforms, might be slightly different with AMD...

• Like 1

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

17 hours ago, overspeed3 said:

I really can't comment on the Ryzen chip as have the Intel 6700k with gives me 4.00 w/o overclocking (FSX-Steam).

But AMD's stock market has been in the doldrums, and went down even after Ryzen was introduced.  

Not a comment on their chip  performance  - just a point of interest... 

Well, now there stock was around $30 per share, risen up from below $10 a couple of years ago. Reality seems to be the opposite of your opinion.  

TBH, I'm really kicking my self for not chucking a couple of grand into their shares, could have tripled it by now!   😞

Edited by djbully

AMD Ryzen 5900X - Asus Crosshair VI Hero - G.Skill 32GB (2x16GB) 3000 C14 DDR4 @ 3600 14-14-15-14-28-42

AMD Red Devil Radeon 6900XT  2700/2112 1125mv - 3 x Iiyama G-Master GB2888UHSU 4k @ 11560x2160

Saitek X-55 Rhino - Track IR5 - Obutto Sim Cockpit + Triple Monitor Stand - Fancy some Techno? https://www.mixcloud.com/dj_bully/

2 hours ago, rjfry said:

Intel CPUs are optimized for 2400hz memory it`s in the spec sheet, Linus did a test on YouTube when using XMP profile when you go past 3200hz there is no gain the CPU can only crunch the data at a max speed, trying to push data in faster than the CPU can handle will not go, even de8bar has done the same test and to quote him don't waste your money better spent on a faster CPU or drive. 

Ryzen is different. It uses something called "Infinity Fabric" for inter CPU communication. The speed of "Infinity Fabric" Is tied to the memory bus speed, so the higher your memory clock, the faster your CPU. IT REALLY DOES MAKE A BIG DIFFERENCE. Completely different to Intel. 

Edited by djbully
Spell check!

AMD Ryzen 5900X - Asus Crosshair VI Hero - G.Skill 32GB (2x16GB) 3000 C14 DDR4 @ 3600 14-14-15-14-28-42

AMD Red Devil Radeon 6900XT  2700/2112 1125mv - 3 x Iiyama G-Master GB2888UHSU 4k @ 11560x2160

Saitek X-55 Rhino - Track IR5 - Obutto Sim Cockpit + Triple Monitor Stand - Fancy some Techno? https://www.mixcloud.com/dj_bully/

41 minutes ago, AnkH said:

Yes, you miss the fact that using 1x16GB will not allow you to use DualChannel. Although the use of DualChannel might be not that important, I would certainly go for 2x8GB instead of 1x16GB. At least for Intel platforms, might be slightly different with AMD...

Yes, good advice  🙂

45 minutes ago, AnkH said:

Thanks, I am aware of that. I'm going to buy another 1x16GB later*, exactly the same as this one therefore I'll have a dual channel later. BTW How much it affects the performance in P3D? Usually it's noticeable only by overclockers who beat the dump out of their PCs. Which, clearly, I am not 🙂 .

* For gaming it is overkill but I'll use the computer for other tasks as well. For some, I barely fit into 32GB. (Yes, you guessed it, I code in Java 😄.)

22 minutes ago, djbully said:

Ryzen is different. It uses something called "Infinity Fabric" for inter CPU communication. The speed of "Infinity Fabric" Is tied to the memory bus speed, so the higher your memory clock, the faster your CPU. IT REALLY DOES MAKE A BIG DIFFERENCE. Completely different to Intel. 

Thanks! But is it able use faster RAM than specified?

33 minutes ago, emko said:

Thanks! But is it able use faster RAM than specified?

Well, mine (1st gen Ryzen) will run 3200 stable. 

A 2nd gen 2600, should easily do 3200, possibly more. I know that 2nd gen has slightly better RAM speeds and easier to get running. 

Edited by djbully

3 hours ago, rjfry said:

Its not that easy, did some tests in P3D-V4 with my 7920x and 8700k  2 months ago memspeeds and cashe ( speed and avilable cash per core) .

first a was not alone have help from Elmor

First we see fast mem help alot with the low Fps and cash per core helped with less stutters (Higher bandwith)

Tthe tests they did was with general gaming there you are mostly gpu bound but when you ar cpu bound memspeed  have impact ( look de8uer 3dmark boost , the cpu and combined test that ar cpu bound)

its up to each other what suit them best like in this tread if you want to run AMD or Intel dosent matter it up to you.

And isnt it time to move this tread , the right place

Nice! I have tried, 3200 is my limit. I think it’s more the IMC on the cpu holding me back, rather than the memory itself. 

5 hours ago, rjfry said:

Yeah, we've been down this road already Ray. You're still misunderstanding the context of the de8bar video or just spinning the info to suit your narrative. He's talking to the fool and his money .... It's what he's not telling us that it's important.. And keep in mind, the working relationship of the cpu and mem cannot be told in a 30 second video ....especially with P3D 4.3.

Look, I spent the whole darn summer home with a broken foot .....got to spend lot's of time working with memory ...mind you on a system and a cpu that will utilize hi-speed memory ...again, especially with a memory intensive program like P3D 4.3.

....And I get it,  you'll not be able to replicate my claims due to the limitations of that """over priced""" under-performing mobo you run <....kinda the point of de#bar's video, don't you think?>  but that doesn't mean there isn't a bigger faster mouse trap.