Sign in to follow this  
emko

New computer: Ryzen 5 + Rx580?

If think it`s doing you good then great.

Edited by rjfry

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

3 hours ago, rjfry said:

If think it`s doing you good then great.

Raymond,

I know you joined the forum after all this happened, but we had a very long discussion thread with many test results on this very subject:

The bottom line is that RAM speed does impact FSX FPS.  There are plenty of applications out there which do not benefit from faster memory, no one will argue against this.  The thing is, FSX (and P3D) are their own beasts, and it is not appropriate to compare their performance with that of other applications.  A citation of random "gaming" benchmarks does not disprove the results that numerous users here have experienced and tested firsthand.  

On 10/7/2018 at 12:09 PM, Greggy_D said:

Again, your assertion is ridiculous since you have zero experience with the new Ryzen chips, which is the focus of the OP.

Well then @Greggy_D, why don't you prove all of us wrong by running FSXMark on your Ryzen chip and comparing it to any of the results in the FSXMark11 thread.  I could run it on my current 7700k machine too!  Surely your 8-core AMD chip can beat my measly 4-core, 2-year-old Intel chip!  What a fun way for you to prove the superiority of AMD products!  

11 minutes ago, TechguyMaxC said:

Well then @Greggy_D, why don't you prove all of us wrong by running FSXMark on your Ryzen chip and comparing it to any of the results in the FSXMark11 thread.  I could run it on my current 7700k machine too!  Surely your 8-core AMD chip can beat my measly 4-core, 2-year-old Intel chip!  What a fun way for you to prove the superiority of AMD products!  

Have done it, ha ha  pss it not beat your 3770k and my 2700k , even at 3600mhz c16 that as fast a Ryzen can run run ,cpu at @4.15

Greggy you can test me instead of BOB, I have a lot experiance of AMD even from The golden days.

Edited by westman

9 minutes ago, TechguyMaxC said:

What a fun way for you to prove the superiority of AMD products!  

I was replying to Bob in this thread, however your passive aggressiveness and fallacies are noted.

8 minutes ago, westman said:

Have done it, ha ha  pss it not beat your 3770k and my 2700k , even at 3600mhz c16 that as fast a Ryzen can run run ,cpu at @4.15

I don't doubt you at all Hasse, I'm curious to see "Greggy"s answer though.  

Will you be getting a 9900k?  I think I will, have a 2080 Ti on order so I figure at that point what's another $700 or so on a CPU and mobo upgrade that I can use for several years?  Beats the old days of upgrading every year for another 5-10% performance!

Just now, Greggy_D said:

I was replying to Bob in this thread, however your passive aggressiveness and fallacies are noted.

You can engage in discussion and provide evidence of your claims, or you can cry wolf and tell everyone how the big bad internet man didn't just believe you and asked you to prove your claims!  The audacity!

Let me know when to expect the legal summons

🤣

3 minutes ago, TechguyMaxC said:

I don't doubt you at all Hasse, I'm curious to see "Greggy"s answer though.  

Will you be getting a 9900k?  I think I will, have a 2080 Ti on order so I figure at that point what's another $700 or so on a CPU and mobo upgrade that I can use for several years?  Beats the old days of upgrading every year for another 5-10% performance!

If i find a good one, i wait for the Galaxy HOF 2080Ti have 5 1080TI HOF limited edition with tools and bios, i get that with the 2080TI to i think .

1 minute ago, TechguyMaxC said:

You can engage in discussion and provide evidence of your claims, or you can cry wolf and tell everyone how the big bad internet man didn't just believe you and asked you to prove your claims! 

What did I claim?  I never said AMD was superior or "beats" Intel.  Stop putting words in my mouth.

Bob said anything but Intels were a "waste of money" and and I said it was ridiculous.  His comment did NOTHING to help the OP since it was so far off base.  It obviously depends on a multitude of factors: budget, other uses besides games, etc.  For some, AMD hits the sweet spot for their own use case.

Some of you really make this a miserable place to visit.  It's pathetic to see grown men get so unbelievably worked up as if they were personally offended over a flipping CPU discussion.

1 minute ago, Greggy_D said:

What did I claim?  I never said AMD was superior or "beats" Intel.  Stop putting words in my mouth.

Bob said anything but Intels were a "waste of money" and and I said it was ridiculous.  His comment did NOTHING to help the OP since it was so far off base.  It obviously depends on a multitude of factors: budget, other uses besides games, etc.  For some, AMD hits the sweet spot for their own use case.

Some of you really make this a miserable place to visit.  It's pathetic to see grown men get so unbelievably worked up as if they were personally offended over a flipping CPU discussion.

I'm not getting worked up, just having a bit of playful fun with you.  

MS Flight Sim (and its successor, P3D) has run best on Intel hardware ever since the Core 2 was released.  Even after the launch of Ryzen, Intel hardware continues to perform best with flight sim in all its flavors.  This is because flight sim, in spite of the fact that it has a rather large dataset compared with most applications that run on consumer PCs, is still a largely serial application.  In other words, it is primarily a "single-threaded" application, as the various worker threads only serve the purpose of fetching terrain textures, rather than contributing to the heavy number-crunching of the primary thread which passes data to the GPU to be rendered.  

If you want to make the argument that AMD has "gotten better" as of late or that they "offer good value", that is fine.  But as you say, value is relative, and application performance does not scale in a linear fashion in the universal sense.  In other words, performance varies from application to application.  Well-parallelized applications such as video and photo rendering run particularly well on Ryzen compared to their Intel counterparts - no one will deny this.  Conversely, serial processes, those which have numerous dependencies in their instruction streams which cannot be broken (i.e. parallelized) run better on Intel CPUs due to their higher instructions per clock cycle (IPC) rating in addition to their higher clock speeds relative to AMD CPUs (e.g. 5GHz vs. 4GHz).

If you wish to see evidence of this you can read the thread that I linked earlier, though admittedly there are no Ryzen results listed there.  However, this is precisely why I've asked you to provide them.  

Here's the thing - if AMD processors are in fact "good enough" and there is no appreciable difference in performance then absolutely everyone here should consider them in any future purchase consideration.  If they are slower though, perhaps they're only worthwhile to people on a budget.  Most of the people that post on Avsim can afford to spend another couple hundred bucks to go with an Intel/Nvidia solution though, so I'm not sure it is worth it.

21 minutes ago, westman said:

If i find a good one, i wait for the Galaxy HOF 2080Ti have 5 1080TI HOF limited edition with tools and bios, i get that with the 2080TI to i think .

Those HOF cards are fantastic.  Never used one myself, but they are well-engineered and quite pleasing to the eye, if you ask me.  We don't see too many Galax cards in the U.S. so hey - there's one area you Europeans have access to something we can't get here.  

On 10/7/2018 at 10:37 AM, simbol said:

Just be aware that If you buy an  AMD video card the AMD Crimson Softwares used to control the card (this is the equivalent to Nvidia Control Panel) is incompatible with P3D under certain circumstances as it will cause video artifacts.

These happens mostly with defects regarding the particle redraw, making things over the distance to appear deformed or delayed.

The problem happens because the AMD software wants to control the FPS and performance of the video card and it conflicts with PD3V4 target frames.

There is a way around, remove the Crimson software and drivers and let Windows 10 to download the Microsoft drivers instead.

The advice above is based on experience after 7 support tickets handled this year regarding effects particles defects experienced.

Regards,

Simbol 

Do you just remove all the AMD software and reboot? Windows 10 will then do the rest so to speak after it has rebooted?

Thanks.....

Ok, Figured it out. All i can say is, Im glad i came across this thread, Doing as suggested about removing the AMD software and drivers and letting windows update the driver sure turned my computer around as far as smoothness with P3D v4.3. on a scale of 1-10, went from a 4 to a 8 for sure. Thank you for that info Simbol......

Edited by Ed_S_Pilot
  • Like 1

Ed

ASRock 2390 Phantom Gaming 4S - Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6ghz - (4.6ghz turbo) liquid cooled -32GB DDR4-3000 mhz OC - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB - 480GB SSD - 970 EVO PLUS M.2 1TB

Pilot      C152 - C172SP - PA-28-181 Archer II - Piper PA-28 Cherokee -  AOPA# 09053717

https://www.pcflyers.org/