Sign in to follow this  
VHOJT

980ti in 4K - where to go from here? 980ti SLI?

Hello chaps,

Looking for a spot of advice here, and I know there is some good knowledge around here.

Bascially I am running P3D v4 in 4K with my 980ti (other specs: 6700K @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR4 @ 3000MHz).

Performance is usually okay, but what really seems to get me hammered is any sort of heavy cloudy conditions somewhere a little bit taxing (FT YSSY for example).  I do turn cloud draw distance down tith ActiveSky to about 80, shadows down, cloud layers to 1 (yes, 1!) but overall it doesn't seem to help that much.  Only use MSAA.

Basically, I think the weakest part of the system for 4K at the moment is the graphics card, so my choices are:
1) Get another 980ti reasonably cheaply and run SLI - I am hoping this will improve things in clouds etc.
2) Get a 1080ti and maybe SLI at a later date.  I am not convinced one 1080ti is going to help that much in these situations?
3) Get a 2080ti once we've seen a bit of evidence they're any good with P3D.

Obviously, I am leaning toward the 980ti SLI for cost.

Will it help me?

Any other advice is also welcome.  I am assuming my CPU is still okay, and not a lot of benefit in upgrading that?  I am not temp limited unfortunately, no matter how much voltage you throw at it (up to about 1.4V, it does not enjoy being stable above 4.5-4.6GHz).

Thanks for any advice you guys can offer 🙂

Cheers,
Rudy

Interested in which weather engine and cloud texture set you have in use?

• Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Hi Frank,

ASP4 with ASCA cloudset - have textures turned down to 512x512 DXT.  I think the 4K is what might really stress out the GPU in these situations

Edited by VHOJT

I have basically identical specs to you and do ok. My 980ti has served me well for 3 years but I do get stutters while on the ground and it's raining or with low clouds (I fly the FSL A320 primarily), and in flight when in and around cloud layers. I do run 30hz/vsync on and it's a smooth experience otherwise, but I did cave and order a 2080ti. I've had it for 2 days and haven't touched it as I'm waiting for Rob's review lol. I have a buddy with a 1080ti that might buy it off me if I don't want it and I'd take his 1080ti. So I am just sitting in limbo now as I eagerly await a report on 4k performance...no pressure! 

Ben 

• Like 1

P3D 4.3, Windows 10/64 bit, Intel 6700k @ 4.7 air-cooled, NVidia 2080 Ti Founders Edition, ASUS Rog Maximus VIII Ranger, 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 @3200, Phanteks Anthoo Pro Series Case, Samsung 950 Pro M.2 500GB, Sandisk 1TB SATA, Seagate 2TB Hybrid Drive, Cooler Master 700W, 40-inch Samsung 4k TV

Hi,

Not sure, but I think it's because the 980Ti has only 6 GB of video RAM on it. Look at the video RAM used while in game.  If the RAM is used at his max a 1080ti with 11GB of video RAM will be a better choice.

Mike

• Like 2

Thanks for the answers chaps!

Good idea - I will check how much VRAM is used on my next flight and report back.

I am right in thinking SLI still limits VRAM to the 6GB of the 980ti, it does not double right?

Cheers,
Rudy

12 hours ago, VHOJT said:

I am right in thinking SLI still limits VRAM to the 6GB of the 980ti, it does not double right?

SLI does not combine the memory on bought card. If you splurge and go with 2 x RTX VNLink replaces SLI and you get the use of all the memory on both cards combined.

On 10/9/2018 at 8:56 AM, Avidean said:

SLI does not combine the memory on bought card. If you splurge and go with 2 x RTX VNLink replaces SLI and you get the use of all the memory on both cards combined.

I didn't think this was true unless you went with the more expensive professional use cards per the video below. Nvlink on the RTX platform is still SLI(with much more bandwidth) but aggregating the memory on the cards is still NOT happening(yet). 

Edited by AlphaInfinity
  • Like 1

Scott

KGPI

Banner_MJC1.png

I upgraded from a pair of 6GB 980Ti GPUs to a pair of 11GB 1080Ti boards...when I did the upgrade, I started with a single 1080Ti to see how it compared to the previous SLI setup in a few representative heavy load scenarios.  The 980Ti SLI combo was actually a little bit stronger than the single 1080Ti in heavy clouds and with dynamic lighting, but with some (to me) minor limitations due to having 6GB instead of 11Gb of VRAM.  Even at 4K resolution, though, 6GB is enough unless you want to run max LOD and High-res terrain textures.  With HRTT on and LOD at 5.5 miles (one notch below max) VRAM usage runs from 3.5-4.5GB with the PMDG 737 in ORBX PNW.  The one thing you absolutely won't be able to do with 980s is run with TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP cranked all the way up to 10--that needs about 8-10 GB of VRAM (and takes all day to load anyway).

You have a clear spectrum of choices...a second 980Ti is relatively inexpensive and will give you a good bump in performance where it counts, the 1080Ti is a simpler configuration but it doesn't get you a lot more than the second 980Ti unless you really want to max out HRTT/LOD, and the 2080Ti is a big step up with a big pricetag.  It all boils down to your assessment of cost vs benefit...only you know what's important to you.

Regards

• Like 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

3 hours ago, w6kd said:

You have a clear spectrum of choices...a second 980Ti is relatively inexpensive and will give you a good bump in performance where it counts, the 1080Ti is a simpler configuration but it doesn't get you a lot more than the second 980Ti unless you really want to max out HRTT/LOD, and the 2080Ti is a big step up with a big pricetag.  It all boils down to your assessment of cost vs benefit...only you know what's important to you.

A pair of 2070's may be an option also depending on price.

• Like 1

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

Gents, thankyou for the excellent advice as always.  And very nice and logically put, Bob.  That helped clarify things a lot, and good to know from someone who has had some experience with 2x980tis.

Thanks again guys, you have been very helpful!  Still haven't quite decided as yet 🙂  Wish the bank balance would grow a bit!

On 10/12/2018 at 1:41 PM, shivers9 said:

A pair of 2070's may be an option also depending on price.

The 2070s do not support multiple cards, see for instance https://www.techradar.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2070

• Upvote 1

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

Just now, pgde said:

The 2070s do not support multiple cards, see for instance https://www.techradar.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2070

Yep ......thanks. I just noticed that this morning. The 2070 is pretty much of a dud. LOL

• Upvote 1

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

On 10/8/2018 at 3:33 PM, bbain1187 said:

I have basically identical specs to you and do ok. My 980ti has served me well for 3 years but I do get stutters while on the ground and it's raining or with low clouds (I fly the FSL A320 primarily), and in flight when in and around cloud layers. I do run 30hz/vsync on and it's a smooth experience otherwise, but I did cave and order a 2080ti. I've had it for 2 days and haven't touched it as I'm waiting for Rob's review lol. I have a buddy with a 1080ti that might buy it off me if I don't want it and I'd take his 1080ti. So I am just sitting in limbo now as I eagerly await a report on 4k performance...no pressure! 

Ben 

@bbain1187

Have you given that 1x 2080ti a razz yet?  How does it do if so?