Sign in to follow this  
Deltaair1212

Less frames after hardware upgrade?

After much deliberation I finally made the jump to the Intel i7-8700K processor. I left behind the i7-6700K. Although it had been good to me for a long time (and was still going strong), I have always thought that my P3Dv4 could benefit from a stronger i7. The new 8700K is paired with a GTX 1060 6GB that I have overclocked, and 32 gigs of Corsair Vengeance RAM. The only thing that changed with my new processor was switching to a Z370-A motherboard of course. I kept all of my settings the same after upgrading the hardware and took it for a test run. Well. It was horrible. Compared to my 6700K, I am getting 15-20fps in situations my old processor would give me 35-40fps! Overclocking the 8700K didn’t help much either. I tried applying the correct AM as well but that made it worse with stutters everywhere so I reverted back to normal. It’s just the oddest thing. You’d think a 6 core 12 thread i7 would perform better than a 4 core 8 thread i7 but so far I am not impressed...

Did you switch the RAM as well? If yes, how do the newer RAM compare to the older RAM?

If you do such a big hardware upgrade, it is extremely important to basically revert P3D to defaults and then start over again with the configuration. Means: delete the prepar3d.cfg, delete the shaders and let P3D build all of this new. Then bring back the settings you used before.

Besides that, you need to KNOW what your hardware is doing. Not enough information here. It can easily be, that the 8700K is slower without proper setting it up, as the base clock of an 8700K is 3.7GHz vs. 4.0GHz for a 6700K. But of course, if you already tried overclocking the 8700K...

Last: what do you mean with "tried to apply the correct AM"? Hopefully not the same as for the 6700K? Currently I use an AM of 1365, this works perfectly for my 8700K. But this AM thingy is tricky, it can easily be that your rig will run better without any AM setting.

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

18 hours ago, AnkH said:

Did you switch the RAM as well? If yes, how do the newer RAM compare to the older RAM?

If you do such a big hardware upgrade, it is extremely important to basically revert P3D to defaults and then start over again with the configuration. Means: delete the prepar3d.cfg, delete the shaders and let P3D build all of this new. Then bring back the settings you used before.

Besides that, you need to KNOW what your hardware is doing. Not enough information here. It can easily be, that the 8700K is slower without proper setting it up, as the base clock of an 8700K is 3.7GHz vs. 4.0GHz for a 6700K. But of course, if you already tried overclocking the 8700K...

Last: what do you mean with "tried to apply the correct AM"? Hopefully not the same as for the 6700K? Currently I use an AM of 1365, this works perfectly for my 8700K. But this AM thingy is tricky, it can easily be that your rig will run better without any AM setting.

No I still have the same ram. Here are my specs:

i7-8700K @ 5.0ghz

GTX1060 6gb Gaming X OC’d

Corsair Vengeance 32 gigs 2666mhz

WD Black 3TB HHD @ 7200rpm

I have mild settings in P3D, nothing too crazy, and I have various orbx scenery and a few of their airports and that’s it. And I mainly fly my Carenado S550. Anyways, my old 6700K never dipped below 25fps. In any situation really. But with my new 8700K, at cruising altitude with dense clouds I’m getting 10fps or less. That’s rediculous. I deleted my cfg file, and shader files after I changed my processor and started fresh. I don’t have an AM set because the two I tried specifically for my processor made it stutter really bad. But it shouldn’t matter if I use an AM or not, 10fps with my rig shouldn’t even be happening. I know I don’t have a GTX 1080 but like I said these are the exact same setting as when I had my 6700K and my 8700K can’t keep up! 

Edited by Deltaair1212

On 10/8/2018 at 4:08 PM, Deltaair1212 said:

The only thing that changed with my new processor was switching to a Z370-A motherboard of course.

Did you install the drivers for the new motherboard... specifically the chipset drivers?  You might consider wiping the OS install and starting fresh...

Good luck,

Greg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, lownslo said:

Did you install the drivers for the new motherboard... specifically the chipset drivers?  You might consider wiping the OS install and starting fresh...

Good luck,

Greg

I installed the newest drivers via the web option in the bios and it said the installation was successful. And you’re saying I need to wipe my whole computer? When I moved from my i7-4820K to my 6700K a few years back I never had an issue like this. I just inserted the new processor and off I went with better performance...

Did you install the chipset driver?

• Upvote 1

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Just now, Deltaair1212 said:

I’ve never heard of that before. What is it and how do I install it? 

Whatever motherboard you bought, the maker should have a chipset driver with the board on a CD, or available for download on their site.   If it is not installed, you can get really poor performance.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

3 hours ago, Deltaair1212 said:

When I moved from my i7-4820K to my 6700K a few years back I never had an issue like this. I just inserted the new processor and off I went with better performance...

Hmmm... that may have been the luckiest day of your life! 😁

This is an old post (from the WinXP days!!) but still works with today's Win OS's: http://www.bleedinedge.com/forum/showthread.php?23682-How-to-REALLY-show-hidden-devices-in-Device-Manager

It explains how to really see what hardware is installed in your OS... and it explains how to remove the stuff that shouldn't be there (like your old hardware that was part of the previous motherboard). While written for someone changing video cards, it can nevertheless be used for all devices.  Pay particular attention to Item #5, and you really should read #6 before proceeding.

Greg

Question everyone. If I update my chipset driver now, will this effect any of my apps on my computer? Will it wipe my system? I found the correct driver on the Asus website but I don’t want to press download until I know it’s not going to mess up things 

Installing the correct chipset driver will not wipe your system or effect apps.  Just delete the driver that is currently installed, reboot, reinstall the correct driver, then reboot again.

Greg

If you just replace the CPU and have still the same MoBo there is no need for installing a new chipset driver, assuming you already had an actuall installed already.

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

You don't state which OS you are running have tried running windows update, as it can be like changing your GPU and still running on the old GPU drivers.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg