Sign in to follow this  
divinglyc

Landing light and taxi light too dim for 747-8 series?

Hi!

I don't know if it's me doing some setting wrong but I really feel the landing light and taxi/ rwy turnoff light are too dim while taxiing.

I can hardly see the marking or center line when I taxi or rolling on the runway while taking off or landing.

Or it's realistic that it's supposed to be so?

Thanks!

Iching Lee from Taiwan

9 hours ago, divinglyc said:

Hi!

I don't know if it's me doing some setting wrong but I really feel the landing light and taxi/ rwy turnoff light are too dim while taxiing.

I can hardly see the marking or center line when I taxi or rolling on the runway while taking off or landing.

Or it's realistic that it's supposed to be so?

Thanks!

Do you use tomato shade or pta please ???

Richard nunez

I have same problem with most all GA aircraft, and I use PTA. Is this a problem?

5 minutes ago, lennie said:

I have same problem with most all GA aircraft, and I use PTA. Is this a problem?

Depends on what you tweaked with PTA. Check your lighting settings in PTA, there's probably something turned too dark. Also check your HDR settings.

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

8 minutes ago, lennie said:

Your terrain/object lighting and shadow depth may need to be tweaked to make the surfaces lighter.  You can also try slightly increasing the tonemap night exp in p3d.cfg.  These tricks worked for me in the past, but it takes some patience and trial and error to get things just right.  Also, some addon airports have very dark ground textures at night that appear to "absorb" taxi lights and cause them to be very dim, which can accentuate the settings in your preset. 

John

Edited by dal330200

3 hours ago, Richardnunez said:

Do you use tomato shade or pta please ???

Richard nunez

Hi! Thanks!

I do use Tomatoshade, but no PTA...

However, other aircrafts are normal, and I have tried to uninstall Tomatoshade, but the result was still the same.

Iching Lee from Taiwan

22 minutes ago, divinglyc said:

However, other aircrafts are normal,

There are so many addon scenery developers, so many addon aircraft developers who not even use te same techniques on every addon as development matures and so many shaders and utilities that there is really no point to bring up „other aircraft“ here. Fact is: it‘s not working to your satisfaction with exactly this addon. So you have to make it work with this  addon. Other addons might not work with the new setting though.

I‘ve begun to save a graphic setting for each of my airplanes and when I fly the PMDG 747 I use my „PMDG 747“ profile and when I fly the A2A Comanche... you get the point. Same I do with PTA. What works well with the FSL 320 is ugly with the PMDG 737. this results in a lot of click click before I fly, but I guess thats the price for great graphics, a smooth simulator and the opportunity to enjoy many airplanes 😄

Edited by Ephedrin

2 hours ago, divinglyc said:

However, other aircrafts are normal

Different aircraft use different profiles. Please read the tomatoshade manuals, as the make this abundantly clear.

and I have tried to uninstall Tomatoshade, but the result was still the same.

Need to restore the default shaders, first, as is also written in the tomatoshade tutorial.

Kyle Rodgers

Hi! Thanks!

I do use Tomatoshade, but no PTA...

However, other aircrafts are normal, and I have tried to uninstall Tomatoshade, but the result was still the same.

It will make the lights dimmer you can adjust them on the settings I had this problem as well some are darker than the others 

richard Nunez 

4 hours ago, Richardnunez said:

It will make the lights dimmer you can adjust them on the settings I had this problem as well some are darker than the others 

richard Nunez 

Oh! Thanks! I will try to restore the shaders to default and test.

6 hours ago, Ephedrin said:

There are so many addon scenery developers, so many addon aircraft developers who not even use te same techniques on every addon as development matures and so many shaders and utilities that there is really no point to bring up „other aircraft“ here. Fact is: it‘s not working to your satisfaction with exactly this addon. So you have to make it work with this  addon. Other addons might not work with the new setting though.

I‘ve begun to save a graphic setting for each of my airplanes and when I fly the PMDG 747 I use my „PMDG 747“ profile and when I fly the A2A Comanche... you get the point. Same I do with PTA. What works well with the FSL 320 is ugly with the PMDG 737. this results in a lot of click click before I fly, but I guess thats the price for great graphics, a smooth simulator and the opportunity to enjoy many airplanes 😄

Thanks! I get your point!

4 hours ago, scandinavian13 said:

Different aircraft use different profiles. Please read the tomatoshade manuals, as the make this abundantly clear.

Need to restore the default shaders, first, as is also written in the tomatoshade tutorial.

Thanks! I forgot to restore it first. Will keep trying.

Iching Lee from Taiwan

Hmm... I have restored the default shaders and adjusted the HDR setting... with little change in the result. 

Could anyone please post a picture of what you see on the rwy or taxiway at night time from the VC with landing light, and taxi light on?😅

Thanks a lot! 😊

Iching Lee from Taiwan

14 hours ago, divinglyc said:

Could anyone please post a picture of what you see on the rwy or taxiway at night time from the VC with landing light, and taxi light on?

The landing and taxi lights are dynamic lights, which means that the scenery determines how bright the reflection from the night lit surface will be.  Some sceneries will have much brighter night lit surfaces than others and I've seen popular addons vary from absolute black to very brightly lit from the same set of landing lights.  The PMDG designer can set the light beam size and brightness but has no control over the scenery that is going to reflect the light.  Addon lighting/shader mods add another layer of complexity.

If you want to compare yours and others make sure you are comparing the same scenery.

Dan Downs KCRP

16 minutes ago, downscc said:

The landing and taxi lights are dynamic lights, which means that the scenery determines how bright the reflection from the night lit surface will be.  Some sceneries will have much brighter night lit surfaces than others and I've seen popular addons vary from absolute black to very brightly lit from the same set of landing lights.  The PMDG designer can set the light beam size and brightness but has no control over the scenery that is going to reflect the light.  Addon lighting/shader mods add another layer of complexity.

If you want to compare yours and others make sure you are comparing the same scenery.

Thanks a lot! Now I know your point and it makes sense! 😊

Iching Lee from Taiwan