Sign in to follow this  
kubasbo

747-8 Airport moving map

I was just about to hit the purchase button for the FSX 747-8 in my PMDG account, but when I read posts like this I wonder would it be worthwhile waiting a few days/weeks until a fix is found. 

Is it just an issue with P3D or does it affect FSX as well? Like a number of you I have a load of Aerosoft sceneries - EDDF, EGLL etc. and I don't want to find the taxiways unusable on the AMM.

I also don't like messing around with set ups that affect the other sceneries I have.  Reading all the above I don't know where a solution lies and I'm not pointing fingers antwhere.

Bernard Walford

24 minutes ago, walfob said:

I was just about to hit the purchase button for the FSX 747-8 in my PMDG account, but when I read posts like this I wonder would it be worthwhile waiting a few days/weeks until a fix is found. 

Is it just an issue with P3D or does it affect FSX as well? Like a number of you I have a load of Aerosoft sceneries - EDDF, EGLL etc. and I don't want to find the taxiways unusable on the AMM.

I also don't like messing around with set ups that affect the other sceneries I have.  Reading all the above I don't know where a solution lies and I'm not pointing fingers antwhere.

By no means it should hold you back from buying such an excellent addon. It doesn't affect any functionality at all, its just that on some airports taxiways are being shown incomplete on the ND, but you can still use them with the 747

And yes, i'm pretty certain it will affect FSX as well as the same methods are being used for some FSX sceneries. 

27 minutes ago, walfob said:

but when I read posts like this I wonder would it be worthwhile waiting a few days/weeks until a fix is found. 

There isn't really a "fix" to be had, honestly. A lot of this is caused by developer workarounds to get the sim to do what they want it to do. It's kind of like the artist who paints a picture of something with oil-based paints versus watercolors. It's not right or wrong. It's a difference of technique. That technique will affect other projects that work with it. If we use something that scans canvas, expecting the canvas to be matte, the oil-based paint being shiny could interfere with the scanner.

Wrong? No. Not really. They're just using a different method to make the painting look a particular way that has odd side effects.

All devs have inventive ways to get around sim limitations. We, as an 'industry' don't have the strictest standards, primarily because the ACES team was killed off (and LM's team picking up the ESP side is still newer in a relative sense - not mentioning their continued changes to the ESP-side platform), but also because the sim itself has all kinds of weird oddities to overcome (still).

So...fix? Not quite accurate. Devs adopting a more centralized standard over time? All depends on people reaching out to their favorite devs to see if they might re-develop/update their product to meet the standard required to support 3rd party programs like ours.

Kyle Rodgers

4 hours ago, walfob said:

You should definitly buy the 747-8.

This issue is rather small and is far from affected by all airport addons, and the airport maps affected can still be used.

There are so many other great features comming with the 747-8.

We are only discussing a relative small issue that probably will be fixed sooner or later.

So don't worry - go buy it if in doubt. It feels like a real finished, solid and well rounded addon - just like other PMDG products.

Edited by Wothan

System: i7-10700K, 32GB RAM, RTX2070S 8GB, 1TB SSD, 2 TB HDD, Win10 64bit Home

2 hours ago, Wothan said:

We are only discussing a relative small issue that probably will be fuxed sooner or later.

OK. Thanks for comments. I'd come to the same conclusion myself. So it looks like I'd better make some more hangar space in my 747 fleet!

Bernard Walford